Unregistered car need help

01tmau
Community Member

Hi I bought my daughter a car 3 months ago paid the stamp duty remembered the 4th june it expired.  Had so much on my mind and never got a renewal bill and just remembered today.  Dam my daughter drove right into the city.  Obviously these cameras picked it up being one day late.  My daughter just paid it then.  Do you have to go to court anymore?  Poor kid she has been hours studying with exams coming now shes stressed she has to go to court.  And how much does it cost?  Do you only lose your licence for a few days.  She is on her p's.  The car is under my name so I suppose I will get the fine.  5 yrs ago I never got my renewal and had to go to court I was unreg for 2 months I don't know how I didn't think of it being so long since the last time I paid.  Would you get in trouble a lot more if its your second time.  DAM 1 day im kicking myself

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

if the cars not registered how will they know where to send the fine:^O

Message 11 of 81
Latest reply

01tmau
Community Member

The reg has my address when I paid the stamp duty

Message 12 of 81
Latest reply

at one time in SA they used to allow 24HR's grace on this. i'm not sure its still the case though.

Message 13 of 81
Latest reply

01tmau
Community Member

I do hope so, ill have to pay the fees as my daughter hardly works as she does hours and hours at uni and then have to voluntary hours a week.  I have NO idea how young kids do uni to get a good job when they don't live at home.  Oh I wont start on uni, the thousands of debt the get into before they get a job and then have to pay a tutor as the lectures there have no idea how to educate them grrrr

Message 14 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

Hi we live in Adelaide.  She never got picked up for speeding but hubby said every intersection red light cameras can  pick up unregistered cars even if its a day late.  What is the CTP?  This was only tonight I remembered and daughter told us she drove all day in her car for uni work

CTP is compulsory third party insurance (green slip)  You need to pay that to be able to register your vehicle.

Message 15 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

Did you read the link Freddie posted?

Detecting unregistered vehicles, trailers or motor bikes

Traffic cameras are used to detect unregistered vehicles, trailers or motor bikes to ensure that everyone contributes towards ongoing road maintenance and upgrades and has compulsory third party insurance – all funded when paying your registration fee.

Message 16 of 81
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

If you bought the car and the car is in your name then it was you that should get the fine because it was unregistered.

Your daughter was only driving your car.  How was she to know that it was unregistered?  I don't think she has anything to worry about.  In WA new drivers have a limited number of demerit points before they lose their P plates.  For drivers in their first year they lose their licence with only 4 points and in the second year it is 8.  I don't know about other states.

Joono
Message 17 of 81
Latest reply

Well, it will be good if they have at least one days grace in SA.

How does your daughter know the red light camera snapped her and recorded an expired rego/stamp duty? Don't you have to wait until you get a notice in the mail to find that out?

Message 18 of 81
Latest reply

01tmau
Community Member

no we don't have a green slip.  we just pay for both together with a renewal bill which I should of got.

Yes ill get the bill well ill be paying for it anyway.  I did tell her it will expire in June but very easy to forget when they dam don't send a notice out!!

Message 19 of 81
Latest reply

01tmau
Community Member

My daughter doesn't know if it flashed her as it was daylight.  But hubby said they have installed it in all the red light cameras to pick up unregistered cars and she went through quite a few today:-(

Message 20 of 81
Latest reply