Unregistered car need help

01tmau
Community Member

Hi I bought my daughter a car 3 months ago paid the stamp duty remembered the 4th june it expired.  Had so much on my mind and never got a renewal bill and just remembered today.  Dam my daughter drove right into the city.  Obviously these cameras picked it up being one day late.  My daughter just paid it then.  Do you have to go to court anymore?  Poor kid she has been hours studying with exams coming now shes stressed she has to go to court.  And how much does it cost?  Do you only lose your licence for a few days.  She is on her p's.  The car is under my name so I suppose I will get the fine.  5 yrs ago I never got my renewal and had to go to court I was unreg for 2 months I don't know how I didn't think of it being so long since the last time I paid.  Would you get in trouble a lot more if its your second time.  DAM 1 day im kicking myself

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Nah, i think the RTA allows about 2 weeks or so to pay after the expiry date, your daughter was only a day late, so.. you it should be fine without any penalties.

it would be the time frame when they request the plates be handed in if caught driving the vehicle, surely?

Signatures suck.
Message 2 of 81
Latest reply

01tmau
Community Member

but that I think is if the car isn't been driven

Message 3 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to drive a vehicle if the registration is not renewed on the due date.

Message 4 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/unregisteredvehicles/unregistered_vehicle_penalties.html

Message 5 of 81
Latest reply

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Vehicles+and+registration/Vehicle+registration/Registering+an+unregistered+vehicle,+trailer+or+motor+bike

Message 6 of 81
Latest reply

if it was due on the forth it can be driven till midnight on the fourth,

today (5th) you registered it, just hope they let it go as technically it was registered on the 5th 

Message 7 of 81
Latest reply

01tmau
Community Member

if she does get a fine I don't think she will be fined for uninsured as the give you another month on that.

Message 8 of 81
Latest reply

What state do you live in? Is it the car registration that wasn't paid? or the CTP ?

If it was expired when it was picked up by the camera you will get a fine.

What sort of camera picked it up? Speed camera, red light camera?

Seems strange you never got the notice if they have your correct address.

Message 9 of 81
Latest reply

01tmau
Community Member

Hi we live in Adelaide.  She never got picked up for speeding but hubby said every intersection red light cameras can  pick up unregistered cars even if its a day late.  What is the CTP?  This was only tonight I remembered and daughter told us she drove all day in her car for uni work

Message 10 of 81
Latest reply