Unregistered car need help

01tmau
Community Member

Hi I bought my daughter a car 3 months ago paid the stamp duty remembered the 4th june it expired.  Had so much on my mind and never got a renewal bill and just remembered today.  Dam my daughter drove right into the city.  Obviously these cameras picked it up being one day late.  My daughter just paid it then.  Do you have to go to court anymore?  Poor kid she has been hours studying with exams coming now shes stressed she has to go to court.  And how much does it cost?  Do you only lose your licence for a few days.  She is on her p's.  The car is under my name so I suppose I will get the fine.  5 yrs ago I never got my renewal and had to go to court I was unreg for 2 months I don't know how I didn't think of it being so long since the last time I paid.  Would you get in trouble a lot more if its your second time.  DAM 1 day im kicking myself

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

In VIC if you are caught driving unregistered you're gone!  I don't think there is a grace period, a mate of mine got booked about $500 for this. The cops have new cameras now where it tells them immediately if a particular number plate has outstanding warrants/fines, unregistered or whatever is wrong with it. They are mounted on the cop car and I've also seen them at the side of the road. I'm not sure whether fixed red light and speed cameras have this capability but they probably do.

Message 21 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

If you bought the car and the car is in your name then it was you that should get the fine because it was unregistered.

In this case I am sure the owner won't mind paying but usually, it is the driver that is fined.  The penalties are for drivers of unregistered vvehicles.   The owner usually nominates who the driver was.   It is the driver's responsibilty to know if the vehicle they drive is registered. Unless the law has changed since I got my license.

Message 22 of 81
Latest reply

This is similar but with extra info, to what freddie posted

Traffic cameras detecting unregistered and uninsured vehicles

All road traffic cameras detect unregistered and uninsured vehicles on South Australian roads, in addition to police traffic enforcement.

To avoid detection - register your vehicle and have compulsory third party insurance.

Registration fees contribute towards maintenance and improvement of the road network.

When a driver crashes their vehicle and is not covered by compulsory third party insurance they are liable for the cost of personal injury resulting from an accident.

Note that:

If an unregistered and uninsured vehicle was detected by a traffic camera more than once, there's an allowance of seven days from the first camera detection before a fine would be issued – so the owner can be notified by mail about the offence.

When an unregistered and uninsured vehicle is detected on the roadside by police, a fine will be issued for all camera detections from then onwards until the vehicle is registered.

Message 23 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

In VIC if you are caught driving unregistered you're gone!  I don't think there is a grace period, a mate of mine got booked about $500 for this. The cops have new cameras now where it tells them immediately if a particular number plate has outstanding warrants/fines, unregistered or whatever is wrong with it. They are mounted on the cop car and I've also seen them at the side of the road. I'm not sure whether fixed red light and speed cameras have this capability but they probably do.

I used to watch the British series called "Traffic Cops" thinking when we would get that sort of technology here. It was ridiculous how many drivers we're being pulled up driving without insurance.

Message 25 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

It is a worry that its not the first time you didn't receive a renewal. There is a smartphone app called EzyReg (I just learnt about on the SA website)  that will allow you to renew your rego and set a reminder.

Message 26 of 81
Latest reply

It is a worry that its not the first time you didn't receive a renewal. There is a smartphone app called EzyReg (I just learnt about on the SA website)  that will allow you to renew your rego and set a reminder.

Yes its a worry you have them go missing, I am also in Adelaide and the only time I have had rego's not turn up is when I have moved and wrongly believed doing the license transfer would transfer every thing that was registered in my name at the same time.

Do you have other mail disapear?

Do you live in a problem area?

Do you have a lock on your letter box?

One more point is that they send the renewals out 6+ weeks before they are due now, is there a chance this was sent to the previous owner or you just forgot about getting it?

The very early notice seems to be a scam in the hope the above will happen and they can fine a few more people.

You had better check all your cars with this link and keep the dates where you can see them regularly.

https://www.ecom.transport.sa.gov.au/et/checkRegistrationExpiryDate.do

Message 27 of 81
Latest reply

I mark the day on my computer calendar and on my phone.. I get a reminder the payday before it  is due. We are all so busy with life these days that these sort of things can slip our minds so easily. 

Sorry but it is your responsibility as the owner of a vehicle to make sure your rego and CTP is paid for on time. If you are involved in a car accident and kill or injure someone how will they or their families be able to claim against your CTP if you don't have it? 

You will get a fine, you won't need to go to court unless the SA laws state the a P plater must attend court on this type of offense. If the car is in her name and she has to go to court It won't be major, if she goes to court she will get a lecture about being more responsible and a fine along with and demerit points. 

Message 28 of 81
Latest reply

I like the "EzyReg" smartphone app.

It lets me check random cars for current rego status and I can put a note on their windscreen and let them know, bit like a Rego Policeman.  Or pull up at the lights, check the rego of the car next to you, and let them know in person 😛

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 29 of 81
Latest reply

My daughter doesn't know if it flashed her as it was daylight.  But hubby said they have installed it in all the red light cameras to pick up unregistered cars and she went through quite a few today:-(

She went through lots of red lights?  Is she colourblind?

Message 30 of 81
Latest reply