Unregistered car need help

01tmau
Community Member

Hi I bought my daughter a car 3 months ago paid the stamp duty remembered the 4th june it expired.  Had so much on my mind and never got a renewal bill and just remembered today.  Dam my daughter drove right into the city.  Obviously these cameras picked it up being one day late.  My daughter just paid it then.  Do you have to go to court anymore?  Poor kid she has been hours studying with exams coming now shes stressed she has to go to court.  And how much does it cost?  Do you only lose your licence for a few days.  She is on her p's.  The car is under my name so I suppose I will get the fine.  5 yrs ago I never got my renewal and had to go to court I was unreg for 2 months I don't know how I didn't think of it being so long since the last time I paid.  Would you get in trouble a lot more if its your second time.  DAM 1 day im kicking myself

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

**meep**
Community Member

There is no chance of me forgetting about rego renewal as the car needs to pass a safety check (its over 5yrs old)  which means I need to make a booking at my mechanic's.  It also means there could be extra costs associated with that so its all part of the budget. 

Message 31 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

She went through lots of red lights?  Is she colourblind?

I think they scan the plates of every car.......

Message 32 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

I would have thought that the traffic cameras were upgraded to scan the rego plates without "flashing".  I mean....can you imagine???

Message 33 of 81
Latest reply

Hi I bought my daughter a car 3 months ago paid the stamp duty remembered the 4th june it expired.  Had so much on my mind and never got a renewal bill and just remembered today.  Dam my daughter drove right into the city.  Obviously these cameras picked it up being one day late.  My daughter just paid it then.  Do you have to go to court anymore?  Poor kid she has been hours studying with exams coming now shes stressed she has to go to court.  And how much does it cost?  Do you only lose your licence for a few days.  She is on her p's.  The car is under my name so I suppose I will get the fine.  5 yrs ago I never got my renewal and had to go to court I was unreg for 2 months I don't know how I didn't think of it being so long since the last time I paid.  Would you get in trouble a lot more if its your second time.  DAM 1 day im kicking myself

How did you know it was picked up by the camera?

Message 34 of 81
Latest reply

Az the OP is assuming the car was detected by camera, as her daughter had driven a lot through the city that day (as posted above somewhere) and would have passed a few cameras.

All road traffic cameras detect unregistered and uninsured vehicles on South Australian roads, in addition to police traffic enforcement.

The cameras (in SA) detect unregistered and uninsured vehicles even if the driver is not committing an offence - speeding, running a red light etc

If the daughter did get detected by camera,  a expiation notice will be sent out within 7 days.

Message 35 of 81
Latest reply

It is the driver that is responsible for ensuring they are driving a registered/insured vehicle.

Although I don't know how that works these days  of no Rego Stickers. If a car owner let their neighbour their car one day, how would the neighbour be able to tell if the car registration/insurance was current?

I had a rental car in NZ last year, and after driving it for a few days noticed the rego sticker had expired. Without a sticker I wouldn't have known.

Message 36 of 81
Latest reply

If a car owner let their neighbour their car one day, how would the neighbour be able to tell if the car registration/insurance was current?

https://www.ecom.transport.sa.gov.au/et/checkRegistrationExpiryDate.do

Yes, I have an opinion. No you don't have to agree with it. Yes I do have a right to it.
Message 37 of 81
Latest reply

My rego was due on a Sunday went to pay online but had a computer drama. Forgot for whatever reason on the Friday prior and thought I would just zip down to the RTA Monday morning early. Got booked at 8.30am Monday. $264  I am in Qld  In did not have to go to court

Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light.
Message 38 of 81
Latest reply

https://www.ecom.transport.sa.gov.au/et/checkRegistrationExpiryDate.do

Would a person borrowing a car think to do a rego first though?

Message 39 of 81
Latest reply

last year with a car i simply forgot. they send the papers/sticker out around 6weeks in advance so i thought i'd pay it when it was actually due . one day i looked and noticed it was 2 weeks overdue.. ran back in to the office , opened up the BPay and paid. anyway it worked fine which is fortunate, beause it saved 2k the roadworthy and 4 michelins would have set me back. i'm still not sure how long reg can expire in victoria and void the roadworthy.. in victoria a car only needs roadworthy for a change of ownership if kept in continous registration.

Message 40 of 81
Latest reply