Unregistered car need help

01tmau
Community Member

Hi I bought my daughter a car 3 months ago paid the stamp duty remembered the 4th june it expired.  Had so much on my mind and never got a renewal bill and just remembered today.  Dam my daughter drove right into the city.  Obviously these cameras picked it up being one day late.  My daughter just paid it then.  Do you have to go to court anymore?  Poor kid she has been hours studying with exams coming now shes stressed she has to go to court.  And how much does it cost?  Do you only lose your licence for a few days.  She is on her p's.  The car is under my name so I suppose I will get the fine.  5 yrs ago I never got my renewal and had to go to court I was unreg for 2 months I don't know how I didn't think of it being so long since the last time I paid.  Would you get in trouble a lot more if its your second time.  DAM 1 day im kicking myself

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

**meep**
Community Member

Would a person borrowing a car think to do a rego first though?

It was something that I had to know to pass the knowledge test so understanding the consequences, I would not take the risk.  It takes under 30 seconds to obtain a free registration check report online.

Message 41 of 81
Latest reply

Yeah, but you are older and sensible meep. If my daughter (Uni student) borrowed my car, it wouldn't enter her head to ask/check if the rego was current. 

Message 42 of 81
Latest reply

The fine in NSW is $530 approx for unregistered plus $530 approx for uninsured.

Message 43 of 81
Latest reply

OP, just make sure the insurance company which issues the Green Slip has your email address.  Although I always know when my rego is due I also receive a reminder about my Green Slip which falls due at the time of my rego.

I am glad when out of rego/uninsured  cars are caught (no matter what the excuse or how short the period).  They are sharing the road with me.

Message 44 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

Yeah, but you are older and sensible meep. If my daughter (Uni student) borrowed my car, it wouldn't enter her head to ask/check if the rego was current. 

yeah but i wasn't that old when I got my licence ;\  (having worked for the RTA or DMT as it was  known then, probably made me even more aware)

I'm sure your daughter trusts her sensible mum 🙂

Message 45 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

Crystal, from what the OP posted, I understood that the CTP is paid together with the registration.  They would probably be sent out together with the registration notice ???

Message 46 of 81
Latest reply

I'm in NSW and my Green Slip is due 4 days prior to my rego.  I get them and pay for them separately.

Message 47 of 81
Latest reply

**meep**
Community Member

I'm in NSW and my Green Slip is due 4 days prior to my rego.  I get them and pay for them separately.

Yep, similar here.

Message 48 of 81
Latest reply

I pay the CTP and then the Rego (has to be done in that order) online at much the same time, often on the day the rego is due. (NSW)

Message 49 of 81
Latest reply

Would a person borrowing a car think to do a rego first though?

Irrelevant.

Should they even be driving if they are not capable of ensuring they are driving a roadworthy or legal car?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 50 of 81
Latest reply