Victory Day 2015

Victory Day Parade in Red Square Moscow ti commemorate the 70th anniversary of the defeat of Nazism.

The Patriotic War claimed 27 million Russian lives and the outcome of World War II would have been vastly different had in not been for the effort of Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcFMuLr7TRs

Victory Day 2015.jpg

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Victory Day 2015

@poddster wrote:

Julia do go back to post 25, you must have missed it

there are 2 youtube videos - duration

2hrs +

i am not going to watch them.

can you write what you are trying to say?

Message 31 of 78
Latest reply

Julia google is your friend

ok Smiley Happy

from the moscow times:

Victory Day Parade: A Glimpse of Russia's Future Military Might

Russian President Vladimir Putin treated scores of foreign dignitaries, political elites and minor celebrities to a snapshot of Moscow's future military might on Saturday as part of Russia's largest Victory Day celebration of the post-Soviet era. 

With heads held high and cocked to the right, Russian soldiers of every stripe goose-stepped their way across Red Square to the drumming of an army band playing Soviet-era wartime classics.

As a large armored column made its way to the square through the packed streets of central Moscow, a Russian general stood high in the passenger seat of a black Russian-made convertible to launch the spectacle's first act.

Most of the Russian soldiers wore uniforms typical of the event — a fair mix of World War II garb and more recent Soviet-style military fare — but one regiment donned what appeared to be Russia's new Ratnik military kit.

According to the parade's announcer, these modern looking soldiers were the so-called "polite people," a selection of unidentified Russian troops who quietly seized the Crimean peninsula from Ukraine last year.

The polite people were not the only sign that this year's parade was more than just a commemoration of past sacrifice, but a portrait of Putin's Russia amid the Ukraine crisis.

While Western leaders gave the parade a wide berth, large delegations from nations with close political ties to Moscow, such as China, India and Venezuela, turned out in droves.

Also turning heads among the parade-watchers were some of Putin's favorite celebrity icons, such as action movie star Steven Seagal, and Alexander "the Surgeon" Zaldostanov — the leader of the Night Wolves, a nationalist Russian biker gang infamous for being some of Putin's most vocal supporters.

But these novelties were overshadowed by an impressive display of Russia's armored and aerial might.

After the troops concluded their march and left Red Square, the ground began to shake as vintage T-34 tanks — considered by some to have been the best tanks of World War II — stormed the scene with a trembling roar.

The T-34s were joined with select few pieces of older Russian gear, but the majority of the force was comprised of brand-new gear that has only recently been seen in public for the first time.

At this point, the parade became a sign of things to come. Brand-new Armata T-14 tanks paraded alongside a number of new military vehicle designs, separated by a handful of older BTRs and T-90 tanks as if to contrast the old Russian army from the new.

Not only were most of the tanks new, but so were the nuclear missiles. The occasion was used to show off the new Yars-24 intercontinental ballistic missile, with which the military hopes to arm the majority of its nuclear forces in the coming years.

The new equipment looked sharp, powerful and thoroughly modern. And for the most part they performed their modest parade duties well. None of the Armata tanks stalled on Red Square, as one did during rehearsals on Thursday.

However, before arriving on Red Square, there was a minor hiccup.

As eager Muscovites packed into nearby Pushkin Square, climbing trees, signposts and even portable toilets to get the best views, two of the new armored vehicles were seen to drop out of the column, and remained stationary for the rest of the parade.

Notably absent from the parade was Russia's new stealth fighter jet, the Sukhoi PAK-FA, also known as the T-50.

But it was no matter, as crowds were dazzled with fighter jets popping bright chaff above the square and laying down smoke in the colors of the Russian flag.

Message 32 of 78
Latest reply

Victory Day Parade in Red Square Moscow ti commemorate the 70th anniversary of the defeat of Nazism.

what better way to honor the dead 

than parading the latest in killing machines  Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 78
Latest reply

And now something to balance out the previous biased article

Russia Stages Huge Parade to Mark Victory Day

• Reuters
  • May. 09 2015 12:20
  • Last edited 12:20

Russian jets form the number 70 during the Victory Day parade in Moscow

Thousands of Russian troops marched across Red Square, tanks rumbled through the streets and jets screamed overhead on Saturday in a huge military parade marking the 70th anniversary of victory over Nazi Germany.

Western leaders boycotted the parade over Russia's role in the Ukraine crisis but President Vladimir Putin was joined under the Kremlin's walls by about 30 foreign leaders, including Chinese President Xi Jinping, sitting on his right-hand side.

In a sign of closer ties between Russia and China, a column of Chinese troops took part in the events. United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon was also among those watching.

Among the armor on display was the Armata T-14, which will be Russia's first new battle tank to be deployed for 40 years, as soldiers, some wearing World War II uniforms, filed past the Kremlin under blue skies and bright sunshine.

War veterans watched from the grandstand, their chests bristling with medals, while crowds of people choked the sidestreets around the Kremlin, cheering and shouting as fighter jets roared over Moscow's city center.

"Victory day is the most important holiday for Russia. In practically every Russian family, someone has died fighting for this country," said 43-year-old former marine Alexander Smolkin.

"My own grandfather died defending Russia, this is our day to remember them," he said, adjusting his light-blue beret, medals and military fatigues.

Putin has used the anniversary to whip up patriotism and fuel anti-Western sentiment, warning that fascism could be on the rise again and suggesting other countries are rewriting history to play down Moscow's role in winning the war.

"The basic principles of international cooperation have been ignored more often in the last decades. The principles which were hard won by humankind following the global hardships of the war," he told rows of soldiers standing to attention.

"We've seen attempts to create a unipolar world," he said, echoing a speech in 2007 when he lambasted the West and Washington's world view.

Many Russians regarded the West's boycotting of the parade as disrespect. An estimated 27 million Soviet citizens were killed during the 1941-45 war.

"I heard that some people say our parade is about displaying a military threat," Smolkin said. "But it is not about that. This is for us Russian people, it shows that we are a strong and great country."

The guest list at the anniversary events in Russia, including major Asian allies India and China, former Soviet republics and communist-era allies such as Cuba, has underlined Russia's role as an outcast in Europe.

For the first time in 70 years, Ukraine also joined most of Europe on Friday in marking the end of the war a day ahead of Russia, which it has accused of exploiting the anniversary to display its military might.

More than 6,100 people have been killed in fighting between pro-Russian separatists and government forces in eastern Ukraine which Kiev says has been stoked by Russia, which annexed the Crimea peninsula from Ukraine last year. Moscow accused the West of orchestrating the events that led to the Ukrainian uprising.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel skipped the parade, as did U.S. President Barack Obama and the French and British leaders, but will attend a wreath-laying ceremony in Moscow on Sunday.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 34 of 78
Latest reply

And now something to balance out the previous biased article

the one from  the moscow times?

which part made you think it was biased?

Message 35 of 78
Latest reply

Most of it,

Got a link by the way?

Message 36 of 78
Latest reply

ladydeburg
Community Member

Victory Day Parade: A Glimpse of Russia's Future Military Might

Russian President Vladimir Putin treated scores of foreign dignitaries, political elites and minor celebrities to a snapshot of Moscow's future military might on Saturday as part of Russia's largest Victory Day celebration of the post-Soviet era. 

With heads held high and cocked to the right, Russian soldiers of every stripe goose-stepped their way across Red Square to the drumming of an army band playing Soviet-era wartime classics.

The polite people were not the only sign that this year's parade was more than just a commemoration of past sacrifice, but a portrait of Putin's Russia amid the Ukraine crisis.

While Western leaders gave the parade a wide berth, large delegations from nations with close political ties to Moscow, such as China, India and Venezuela, turned out in droves.

This is the reason why most of the world leaders refused to attend.

Remindes me of the Olympic Games Hitler put on to legitimise himself.

Message 37 of 78
Latest reply

Most of it

why?  where you there?  

Got a link by the way?

was the source not enough?

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/victory-day-parade-a-glimpse-of-russias-future-military-...

Message 38 of 78
Latest reply

Your article was written by

Mather Bodner a yank, no wonder it is biased

Moscow based journalist focusing on Russian foreign, defense, and space policy. He studied at Miami University of Ohio, and was a junior fellow at the Havighurst Center of Post-Soviet and Russian Studies.

Message 39 of 78
Latest reply

may i have a link to your article please?  Woman LOL

Message 40 of 78
Latest reply