What basic principles did you understand and your cooking skills greatly increased?

Start with me:

1. The role of seasoning is to enhance the aroma, not to cover the aroma of the ingredients themselves. Eat the ingredients, not the seasonings.

2. When frying vegetables, it is recommended to stir fry to the maximum heat, and take it out of the pot when it is almost out of rawness.

Message 1 of 69
Latest reply
68 REPLIES 68

Re: What basic principles did you understand and your cooking skills greatly increased?

Some people would say that as long as cooking is done by rote and practice, practice makes perfect cooking.

Cooking is about science. Cooking is not only a craft, but also a knowledge and an art. If you fundamentally master the principles, and then try and apply them, you may be able to draw inferences from one case and create some new things.

Message 61 of 69
Latest reply

Re: What basic principles did you understand and your cooking skills greatly increased?

This isn't a basic principle type of thing but more something you'd pick up from experience but maybe not realise if you were new to cooking.

Those online recipes with 5 stars... don't take at face value, read the reviews.

A lot of the reviews are downright deceptive. The person will give 5 stars and say-amazing base recipe, everyone loved it. I just added, a,b,c,d,e,f,g,... and a bit of x,y,z. And I left out the (whatever) and used (something else) instead.

If you've done a bit of cooking, you will wonder how a recipe that calls for only eg milk, flour, pasta and cheese could have a 5 star rating.. it soundsbland. But that's why. The people are not rating the actual recipe, just their amended version of it.

I pity any newbie cooks though who follow instructions exactly and expect it to be amazing.

It's my pet peeve with recipe reviews.

Message 62 of 69
Latest reply

One tip that comes from my baking my favourite cake recipe the first time...

My mother gave me a dog-eared but precious (to us) Dr Oetker Backbuch when I was still very new to cooking and baking. I must have been around 16. Not only was it in German, but the script was the Goethe-Schrift which is the heavy elaborate "everything looks like an s, or is it an f, and is that a w or is it three of the letter i, or is it u and i, or aaaaah" lettering.

That is why I learned how to read Goethe-Schrift, by the way.

Anyway, it was late and I was very tired, and I made a mistake in mentally translating one particular ingredient. To this day, I can't fathom how on earth I made the mistake... but where it said "Speisestärke" (or should I say 𝕾𝖕𝖊𝖎𝖘𝖊𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖊𝖗𝖐𝖊 - the closest I can manage on these boards, but the original text is all squashed up together to make it insanely hard to read), I got it into my head that the recipe was calling for cottage cheese or cream cheese or quark.

The words are nothing alike. Speisestärke means cornstarch/cornflour, and cream cheese is Sanekäse. Cottage cheese is Hüttenkäse. Quark is... quark.

Anyway, I duly made the cake... with its 8 thin cake layers sandwiched chocolate buttercream, the whole coated in a fine layer of melted chocolate... and... it was utterly fantastic. The cake dough with that spoonful of cottage cheese was mouthwateringly moist and unbelievably delicious. It had something about it... I can't quite describe it, but it affected the texture and the taste with a sort of sweet edgy quality.

For years I just followed my hand-written English translation without bothering to go back to the actual German. When I finally did, and realised that I must have made an error, I decided to make it according to the actual recipe the next time... and it just... lacked that special quality.

SO... my tip is... add a dessertspoon of cream cheese/cottage cheese/quark to your cake batter. Make sure you push it through a sieve, and mix lightly. See what you think.

Message 63 of 69
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

SO... my tip is... add a dessertspoon of cream cheese/cottage cheese/quark to your cake batter. Make sure you push it through a sieve, and mix lightly. See what you think.

Certainly worth a try.........thanks😋

Message 64 of 69
Latest reply

Good grief. I am still getting over the '8 thin layers'. I've never attempted that in my (long) life. Oh the shame.

It reminds me, I did octordle tonight. I dipped out on that too. Only got 7/8. I needed one more turn.

An expert in anything I am definitely not, I am afraid.

I could try the cottage or cream cheese though, but it will be on a single or double layer cake.

Message 65 of 69
Latest reply

To do with cooking, but an aside -

If your baking paper keeps rolling up or won't stay put, sprinkle or spray it with a bit of water.

That'll keep the sucker where you want it!

Message 66 of 69
Latest reply

Crusty rolls or bread no longer crusty after a few days?

Sprinkle a little water on them and put into hot oven or air fryer for 2-3 minutes. 

(I was reminded of this by imastawka’s baking paper hint.) 

Message 67 of 69
Latest reply