10 REPLIES 10

Re: What morons

That is terrible news, what an awful mistake.

We are responsible cat owners and never let our two rescue cats out to roam the streets, but they do have a wonderful play pen for "outside" visits.

I think it is very important for pets to have freedom, but not the kind of freedom that gets them killed or to hunt down the local wildlife.

Having stated that, the cat being discussed in this thread was a Bengal and should have been recognised as such by the vets at the clinic.   I wonder why it didn't alert them them to the fact that it most likely would have an owner looking for such an expensive pet?

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
Exactly, why did they not think to check it out especially as it had a microchip
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

If it was registered and not roaming around , the mistake prob wouldnt have happened. All the more reason to keep your cat on you own property and not let it roam

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

ive read there are some councils who are planning on killing any cats caught wandering regardless of micro chips, thus far i dont know of any who have started doing it.

it reminds me i must have rosies chip checked as its not been scanned since the day it was inserted, i hope it works.

even though shes allways in the house there is allways a chance she could get out.

i would be devistated if she was caught and killed

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

That's a real shame.

I think, from what i can make out in the story, that the cat had actually been a patient at that clinic but I suppose the truth is, they wouldn't necessarily know it was exactly the same cat when it was brought in by the council.

Although the cat seems to have been microchipped, the details were not visible on the statewide database.

Maybe they could not tell which database they would be on.

I doubt they would have checked the microchip on earlier visits as they had no need to. The cat came in with its owners and had a name and address.

What this suggests to me is maybe there should only be one nationwide database for pet microchips instead of lots of different ones.

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Springy, in NSW there are several Data Bases for cats and dogs and a number of different micochips available throughout the state.  When microchipping first came into law the vets and local councils all had the microchip reader that was supposed to be universal but it was soon found that it did not read the majority of the chips.

It was several months before a universal reader became available and I would be surprised if any vet surgery, Council or registered microchipper does not have one.   Most of them have more than one reader so if one does not read they can try another one.

My daughter is a registered chipper and whenever she get a new batch of chips  she checks them on her reader and then goes into her local pound (she is a council ranger) and checks that the chips will read on their readers.

Very occasionally an animal will come in with a chip that cannot be read.   It is often found to be an interstate chip which can cause problems.  Now that a lot of horses are also being microchipped a lot of larger councils are buying chip readers from interstate.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Springy, in NSW there are several Data Bases for cats and dogs and a number of different micochips available throughout the state.  When microchipping first came into law the vets and local councils all had the microchip reader that was supposed to be universal but it was soon found that it did not read the majority of the chips.

It was several months before a universal reader became available and I would be surprised if any vet surgery, Council or registered microchipper does not have one.   Most of them have more than one reader so if one does not read they can try another one.

My daughter is a registered chipper and whenever she get a new batch of chips  she checks them on her reader and then goes into her local pound (she is a council ranger) and checks that the chips will read on their readers.

Very occasionally an animal will come in with a chip that cannot be read.   It is often found to be an interstate chip which can cause problems.  Now that a lot of horses are also being microchipped a lot of larger councils are buying chip readers from interstate.

People are very mobile these days and regularly move interstate taking their pets with them. Sounds like a major flaw in the system if chips, chip readers and data bases are not standardised Australia wide.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Spot on chameleon.

My daughter has worked for 2 rural councils in southern  NSW, maybe 6 or 7 vets in suburban Sydney, a number of vets in southern NSW towns/cities and has been in charge of 2 council pounds.   Add to that a stint with the RSPCA in Sydney and a local rep for the RSPCA during her work in a country city and the fact that she is a registered microchipper....she does have a fair bit of experience in the field.

Nobody is happy with the system but until all states and territories have the same rules and regulations it is always going to be a problem.

The biggest catalyst to wanting change has been the microchipping of show horses that regularly travel interstate and must be able to be correctly identified when they at at interstate shows.

I have not had a lot to do with it for a couple of years now so really don't know how far it has progressed but it does seem that the most action is being generated by the horse people.

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

the only good cat is a @#&% cat. waits for the hissy fits...

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply