Whats for dinner?? Anybody cooking anything yum??

Whats everyone having for dinner?

Cant be too bothered here..might add a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar on top of the butter..

raisin toast.jpg

and a cup of tea..

Message 1 of 966
Latest reply
965 REPLIES 965

Re: Whats for dinner?? Anybody cooking anything yum??

The silver cobbler I cooked last night was pretty darn good.  The only thing was I didn't realise how thick the fillets were so I had to kind of butterfly them (except all of the way through) to be able to pan fry them.  I probably only needed half of the fish I bought.  There goes portion control.

Joono
Message 691 of 966
Latest reply

Took dad to Chinese hot pot tonight.

We had whole Barra in blackbean n garlic with quail eggs,tofu,oyster mushies and potato vermicelli.

The stock is to die for.

Yuuuummmmiiiii. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 692 of 966
Latest reply

Glad you enjoyed it with your dad, Kopes.

Not my cup of tea, sorry.

Just toasted sangers here tonight - still hobbling a bit

Hope youcan is ok - she hasn't been in for a while

Message 693 of 966
Latest reply

Maybe youcan is being wise n living life away from the comp for a touch. Smiley Happy

I didn't hear what happened with your foot/ankle?

Did you have the other eye done BTW?

I was going to go to Groove Train in Burwood but then realized maybe that's take away only.

Couldn't quite work it out from the website, will get there eventually.

image host
Message 694 of 966
Latest reply

I have a touch of Arthur.   lol

Arthritis.   Left ankle swollen again.   Going down now though.

Other eye being done next Wednesday.

That's why it was good to have 'talk like a pirate day

I had a peg leg and only one eye   arrrrrrrr  

Message 695 of 966
Latest reply

Smiley LOL Oh ok, I remember the arthie, I thought this was different and you had fallen or something.

Well back to your pirate days next week.

No seriously, hope it goes well and you deserve a break after all recent hassles.

image host
Message 696 of 966
Latest reply

Mea culpa ( yet again ).

OBVIOUSLY there are some differences twixt here & there. But try this  with a thick, cheap cut.

Don't know what you call it but in the US "london broil" is usually a thick, tougher cut of beef.

Wash it down ( ALWAYS ) & dry it off.

Whilst it gets to room tempurature, make a marinade.

Some vinegar, some olive oil, some salt & pepper. Add some lemon juice, mebbe some worcheshire.

These will help break down the tissues of the more course/tough cuts of beef.

Google up marinades. FWIW, I go a little heavier on the vinegar and I like balsamic or a red wine wif garlic for red meat.

LOTS o' ways to go here, though! )

Pierce the beef it all over. Don't slice it ~ PUNCTURE it ~ well.

(This will let the marinade sink into the meat, flavoring & tenderizing it )

Put the beef & the marinade in a bag or a bowl. Let the marinade do it's magic ( and turn it every few hours, if you can ) for 8, 10, 24 hours...

(refrigerated, of course)

So HERE'S a little "MAGIC".

Do a coffee crust!

It's easy. Take a cup of medium roast coffee ( right out of the can ~ or grind it fresh if ye want ), mix in 1/4 cup smoked paprika, 1/4 cup salt ( fine sea salt's cool but whatever you have is fine ) and ground black pepper (fresh is best, always but, again, whatever ye have on hand )...

Mix the coffee and spices, well, so it's a homogenous product ( no clumps, etc).

Remove the meat from the bag/bowl, let it drain & get to room temp.

(Bonus points if you save what drains out for a sauce! Smiley Tongue )

Preheat your oven.

MUST I tell you this??? If a recipe says bake @ 300 F, you CANNOT turn on your oven & expect it to be 300 F within 30 seconds! It MUST get to temp. ~ just sayin'

Whilst the oven gets  to temp, rub that crust mixture over EVERY side of that slab o' protein; show it some luuuuvvvve & lay it on thick.

Put an oven-proof pan on the range & heat it up ~ medium/medium high ~ we're gonna SEAR every side to seal the exterior of your meat & keep all those delicious juices INSIDE!

Your pan's up to temp so a splash of olive oil ( or a few squirts, if you use cast iron, like I do ) and into the pan with your meat!

Got a slab of fat on one side?

Sear that FIRST!

Then you want that side face up when it bakes. It lets the fat run down into the meat as it bakes.

Sear each side until it's well browned ( shouldn't be more than 3 mins per side. If it's not browned/blackened, yer heat's too low )

Then into the oven...

I like 325 f ( I set mine @ 400 because I lose heat when I open the door ) and 15mins per pound...

I use a meat thermometer & pull mine when the center hits 110 f, then let it rest for 15 mins...

( we like it rare )

Once You've Done This Twice...

You'll realize how easy this IS! 

It's a WICKED GOOD way to turn ANY cheap cut into something special. Add some star anise or cardomom pods to basic white rice, sautee' some spinach wif garlic & butter & yer on yer way to takin' down Ramsay, YEAH?!?

Message 697 of 966
Latest reply

Good luck wif your eye Stawks...

dinner tonight will be at a different corner pub, called The Apple Tree. Expecting good things. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 698 of 966
Latest reply

biglolcat
Community Member

And if you're REALLY on the cheap...

Pigeons & squirrels are easy, lean protien!

Need some seasoning?

Easy enough to wander through yer FF joint & nick some S/P.

Ketchup & mustard are easy, too. 

Check out your local library for info on local herbs & NON-poisonous mushrooms. You'll be surprised at what's right outside your door.

Got a stream that's NOT polluted with heavy metals ( and how would you know/why would you care )? 

Minnows & crustaceans, baby!

Message 699 of 966
Latest reply

Sure hope Pimpy doesn't read that post

Message 700 of 966
Latest reply