White Ribbon campaign weakened

Letter to the editor:

According to every domestic violence support service in the Western world, if blokes control what their female partner eats and wears, who she can have as friends, where she can go, and checks her phone, that’s an abusive relationship. Unless it’s for religious reasons.

Kim Hillier, Mareeba, Queensland.

The moral ardour surrounding the anti-violence ‘White Ribbon’ campaign is uppermost in our minds. We abhor violence especially when it is directed towards women. Kim Hillier’s letter highlights how the anti-violence campaign has been weakened because certain cultures and a religions are quite happy to adhere to totems and taboos that have no place in a modern society. A carapace of ill-founded respect has been built around certain cultures and religions which removes them from scrutiny and excuses their vile behaviour. It’s unfathomable why the sisterhood, at one time quite stentorian on issues like FGM, is now mute when faced with ‘difficult’ issues that would question the sisterhood's malfunctioning moral compass.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: White Ribbon campaign weakened

@secondhand-wonderland wrote:

According to every domestic violence support service in the Western world, if blokes control what their female partner eats and wears, who she can have as friends, where she can go, and checks her phone, that’s an abusive relationship. Unless it’s for religious reasons.

I know I'm gunna get caned for this but, what if the woman dresses like a prostitute and eats nothing but McDonalds, has dangerous friends and hangs out in undesirable places and is promiscuous and a drug addict always hiding from her husband the drug deals 

and flings that are organized with her phone. 

Would it be abusive if the bloke was engaging in what sounds like such domineering behaviour then or?

Say what?

Dredging to find excuses for domestic violence are we?

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

I know I'm gunna get caned for this but, what if the woman dresses like a prostitute and eats nothing but McDonalds, has dangerous friends and hangs out in undesirable places and is promiscuous and a drug addict always hiding from her husband the drug deals 

Would it be abusive if the bloke was engaging in what sounds like such domineering behaviour then or?

Yes, if he does not like it he can just leave and start divorce proceedings, just as should a woman if her husband gone feral like that.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

@karliandjacko wrote:

Say what?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

No of course not.  I just thought that maybe in certain circumstances what is considered abusive could actually be protective.  (If the woman is the type to be easily lead astray...)

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@karliandjacko wrote:

Say what?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

No of course not.  I just thought that maybe in certain circumstances what is considered abusive could actually be protective.  (If the woman is the type to be easily lead astray...)

Protective?  

lead astray?

reached the bottom of the barrel yet?

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Maybe the letter is just clumsily written and isn't intended to mean what it actually says,but  what it alleges that  every domestic violence support service in the Western world, condones the domination and control of women if it's done for religious purposes.

Now I can't speak for organisations in other countries but as far as those in Australia are concerned that is a load of old coprolite.

Can youseriously  imagine any woman here in Australia  fronting up at a womens counselling service saying "My husband won't let me have a job or choose my own clothes and friends or even leave the house unless he is with me," only to be told, "Ah but he is a disciple  of the  the Calluthumpion Brotherhood and believes it is his religious duty to protect you from your sinful desires, so you'll just have to put up with it,

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

I did speak with a woman (Asian) working in a retail shop who said her husband didn't want her to work or study. Good for her for not taking any notice of him, she was working and saving her money earned to do a course. She was an excellent retail assistant, so I hope she does well in what ever she wants to do.

That's cultural though, not religion.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

I assumed this was meant to be another whatsit bashing thread.   But thankfully no-one has taken the bait.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

@karliandjacko wrote:

@karliandjacko wrote:

Say what?

Protective?  

lead astray?

reached the bottom of the barrel yet?

LOL I'm getting there it seems.  I knew my comment would ruffle some feathers.  Sometimes people make bad decisions and get involved with a bad crowd of people who might be into drugs or other illegal activities, I'd say if you were  involved with these types of people engaging in illegal or criminal behaviour you have been led astray.  And if you are a drug addict chances are you will need protecting from these bad influences in your life.

I'm really not trying to make excuses for domestic violence, thats just sick...  I'm just looking at the article from a different perspective.  

In a normal situaltion, I would absolutely agree that checking phones, controlling food and clothing etc is definately a form of abusive behaviour.  

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

LOL I'm getting there it seems.  I knew my comment would ruffle some feathers.  Sometimes people make bad decisions and get involved with a bad crowd of people who might be into drugs or other illegal activities, I'd say if you were  involved with these types of people engaging in illegal or criminal behaviour you have been led astray.  And if you are a drug addict chances are you will need protecting from these bad influences in your life.

I'm really not trying to make excuses for domestic violence, thats just sick...  I'm just looking at the article from a different perspective.  

In a normal situaltion, I would absolutely agree that checking phones, controlling food and clothing etc is definately a form of abusive behaviour.  

You're completely changing the subject and going off on a tangent in which women are weak, easily led astray and need male protection or violence to keep them inline.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply