Woolworths to trial paper shopping bags

but not in all stores

https://au.news.yahoo.com/woolworths-new-move-to-counter-criticism-over-plastic-bag-ban-053059657.ht...

Think most of us would remember the paper shopping bags from the past.

Still, I wonder if there will be some that will object to them for some reason.

Sometimes I say that many things are like being on a giant wheel,

sooner or later they get back to where they started from.

Parking meters, double deck buses, trams/light rail etc have all come, gone and returned,

and now it may be the return of the paper grocery bag.

I still have hopes that someday Microsoft will bring back a modern version of windows 3.1 Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Woolworths to trial paper shopping bags

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Does anyone remember the old string bags?

Both my grandmothers used to make them....the whole family had them on hand for whatever purpose they wanted to use them for.

I have one in the laundry cupboard as my duster/rag bag and another one holds the remains of the singlet bags from supermarket shopping although it is almost empty now.   There are several kicking around that I still take shopping.

I must admit to missing the plastic bags to put my frozen foods in.....it saved getting my green bags damp.  And it was recycled into a bin liner for the kitchen bin.

We shop once a fortnight so all our refrigerated/frozen items, go into a massive esky in the back of the 4xd. 

We dont use a bin liner, cause all our food scaps go into the compost bin, plastic wrapping paper etc., goes up the chimney, plastic/ bottles/cardboard etc goe sin the ryclye bins,  jar are kept for preserving, meat/chicken  scraps  go to the dog or the maggies, doesnt leave much to put into garbage bin

Message 21 of 45
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
I have no food scraps except for bones and they go out the front for whatever wants to have a go at them.
Message 22 of 45
Latest reply

I have just decided I am guilty of ' one use ' placky bags.

Boo Boo & I go walking daily - attached to her lead is a blue bag - for poop.

I suppose recycling is out of the question. lol

Message 23 of 45
Latest reply

Supermarkets are not entirely to blame for plastic bags replacing paper ones.

There was much on the news back in the old days (heheh) how trees were being chopped down into wood chips for among other things....paper bags.  Greenies and the like in those days had a lot to say about how bad this was.  You can't win.

Supermarkets also had big bin areas to hold manufacturers' cardboard boxes that customers could help themselves to.  It was quite a tradition for Mum to put the groceries on the checkout while Dad went to secure a suitable box.  If nothing was the right size then paper bags had to do.

It's also simplistic to just blame plastic bags solely on supermarkets.  Back to the rainy days in particular ....  Customers soon discovered the advantage of being able to carry loads of shopping, sometimes in one go, from the car to the back door (and it was easier to get the keys out to open the door).  Compare that to carrying sometimes just one heavy paper bag at a time into the house then back out again for the next one, then the next etc.  You'd be soaking wet and before the last bag it was probably in pieces.

I liked the green (poly) bags of a few years ago...but they were Bad because they were made as part of petrol by products or something.  Once again, you can't win.  I still have these bags.  Armed with scrap pieces of colourful fabric and my trusty sewing machine I've easily been able to repair or refusbish them.  Frankly I think they are better than paper and plain plastic bags.

BTW, I wish we'd hear the end of 'single use' plastic bags.  They've never been single use in my house, nor anyone else I've spoken to.  It's a media beat up.

Message 24 of 45
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

I have just decided I am guilty of ' one use ' placky bags.

Boo Boo & I go walking daily - attached to her lead is a blue bag - for poop.

I suppose recycling is out of the question. lol

When I had the 3 GSD's, I often wished there was a market for dog poop

Message 25 of 45
Latest reply

LOL 

Message 26 of 45
Latest reply

I use the Biotuff Compostable baggies or similar for mine

Well

Not *mine* ahem

My rescue doggies do-do 

Message 27 of 45
Latest reply

@enigmabear wrote:

I use the Biotuff Compostable baggies or similar for mine

Well

Not *mine* ahem

My rescue doggies do-do 

Again - lol

How many do you have - rescues that is.

Message 28 of 45
Latest reply

Usually three at any one time, at the moment we have two seniors and a two year old

Message 29 of 45
Latest reply

Goodness - that's a herd. lol

Back to the OP - there are uses for paper.

images (44).jpeg

download (6).jpeg

Better still.

Message 30 of 45
Latest reply