Woolworths to trial paper shopping bags

but not in all stores

https://au.news.yahoo.com/woolworths-new-move-to-counter-criticism-over-plastic-bag-ban-053059657.ht...

Think most of us would remember the paper shopping bags from the past.

Still, I wonder if there will be some that will object to them for some reason.

Sometimes I say that many things are like being on a giant wheel,

sooner or later they get back to where they started from.

Parking meters, double deck buses, trams/light rail etc have all come, gone and returned,

and now it may be the return of the paper grocery bag.

I still have hopes that someday Microsoft will bring back a modern version of windows 3.1 Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 45
Latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: Woolworths to trial paper shopping bags

I remember them. But if I recall, one of their problems was if a person had frozen or cold food and the bags got damp. The bottoms gave way.

I can't see paper bags are necessarily better than plastic ones. Wouldn't it mean clearing a forest to make them?

Message 41 of 45
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

I remember them. But if I recall, one of their problems was if a person had frozen or cold food and the bags got damp. The bottoms gave way.

I can't see paper bags are necessarily better than plastic ones. Wouldn't it mean clearing a forest to make them?

They could use recycled paper or cardboard, maybe?

Could open up a whole new industry and recycle waste paper at the some time.

Message 42 of 45
Latest reply

I always forget my bags in the boot, too, but then I put my groceries back in the trolley unbagged when it's gone through the checkout.

Then I pack the stuff into the bags when I get to my car.

A bit time consuming, but I'll be darned if I buy their bloody plastic bags @ 15c

Must remember to take my bags.

Message 43 of 45
Latest reply

@lionrose.7 wrote:

I have a boot full of bags and yes I forget to take them into the shops.

Windy day opened the boot and my one paper bag took off like a kite up ino the sky never to be seen again

just pick up my cats poo with loo paper and flash it down the loo.

Change the tray every week, she only goes over night some times, most times out side.

she does not go far from home thse days

My cat is an indoor puss.  The litter tray is in the laundry which is very small.  There's not really enough room for me (and my walking frame) to get in the right spot to pick up her waste from the litter tray every day or so.....especially as it's also not stable to only have one hand on the walker.

My house is small and while I don't wish for one of those bigger luxury homes (the bigger they are the more you have to clean), I do sometimes dream about having a larger laundry with a better litter tray for the cat. LOL

Message 44 of 45
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

I always forget my bags in the boot, too, but then I put my groceries back in the trolley unbagged when it's gone through the checkout.

Then I pack the stuff into the bags when I get to my car.

A bit time consuming, but I'll be darned if I buy their bloody plastic bags @ 15c

Nowadays I do all my grocery shopping online, but during the green cloth bags era I used to keep them all folded up in one of those supermarket silver lined cold storage bags.  I usually put it in the car where I couldn't miss it (front passenger side - on the seat or the floor). 

When I got to the checkout I used to take the groceries out of the trolley in the order I wanted them packed - and I'd put a bag on top of each 'group' of shopping.  It was my (optimistic) hope that this would stop the checkout staff from putting the heavy stuff on top of the bread, eggs etc.  Sometimes it even worked.

The frozen food was left until last and of course the freezer bag went on top of them.  Sometimes I got the checkout packer from hell and the freezer food was thrown on instead of packed properly.  This made the bag very hard to carry and as usual the bag couldn't be zippered up.  If I had time I used to sit on a bench outside the supermarket near he checkout I used and carefully unpack the freezer bag and redo it.  The checkout staffer used to glare at me and sometimes I'd stare back and give her a pitying look....as though packing a bag properly was beyond her skill.  But most of the time I just got on with sorting the bag.  I'd rather have it all ready to go before I got to the car, let alone home. 🙂

Message 45 of 45
Latest reply