cooking 2 chooks

Hey, for the first time in my life, I won a chook raffle yesterday.

Two chooks.

Now, I have never cooked a chook. Yes, I know! Pathetic isn't it?

I have put them in oven bags and it says 200degrees. 25 minutes for each 500g. I weighed them together - 2kg so according to the directions, that's 25minutes X 4, is that right?

Message 1 of 52
Latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

cooking 2 chooks

No, rabbit, it takes the same time to cook two chooks togther as it takes to cook only one.

The same goes for vegies. It takes the same time to cook one spud as it takes to cook two or six.

Don't overcook your chooks

Erica

Message 2 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@lind9650 wrote:

No, rabbit, it takes the same time to cook two chooks togther as it takes to cook only one.

The same goes for vegies. It takes the same time to cook one spud as it takes to cook two or six.

Don't overcook your chooks

Erica

Thanks Erica. So, how long do you reckon? 

Message 3 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

Congratulations on winning the chooks Mr. Rabbitearbandicoot, hope you enjoy them with nice vegetables  xx

Message 4 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

Ericas right..

Did you put anything inside them?- like stuffing, or you could put a lemon, or onion with herbs, inside the cavity- this makes the chicken taste delish, and keeps the flesh moist..dont forget s & p as well..PS( you dont eat this, unless its stuffing...-its simply for flavour)

good for you trying something new. Woman Happy

Message 5 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@tasfleur wrote:

Congratulations on winning the chooks Mr. Rabbitearbandicoot, hope you enjoy them with nice vegetables  xx

vegetables too? Now you're just trying to confuse me ... lol.

I've cooked lots of beef roast etc. I roast potatoes in the same bag and onions. It turns out great. But I've never cooked a chook before. I thought they came already cooked and in foil. Having said that, I guess I have cooked chicken pieces and chicken breasts but I mostlt use the microwave for those.

Message 6 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

@youcandoityoucandoityoucandoit wrote:

Ericas right..

Did you put anything inside them?- like stuffing, or you could put a lemon, or onion with herbs, inside the cavity- this makes the chicken taste delish, and keeps the flesh moist..dont forget s & p as well..PS( you dont eat this, unless its stuffing...-its simply for flavour)

good for you trying something new. Woman Happy

Whoops! No I didn't. Can I put an onion in now? one in each?

Message 7 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

Rabbit-lucky it was a chook raffle--i won a very large turkey.

Put it in a pan and pulled all the shelves from the oven.

After a while-smelt like  burning tyres--checked outside.

Worked out -there was a heavy duty plastic bag inside the turkey

with the neck and other useless left overs --mumble ..mumble ..........Richo.

Message 8 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

Oh, and re the time, I would put them on at 200 degrees for 50 minutes and then just check them- they may need longer..depending on what kind of oven, and whether you've got stuffing in them.. mmm now I want roast chicken for dinner! What a good raffle prize.
Message 9 of 52
Latest reply

cooking 2 chooks

Yep, just shove the peeled onion in, with some dried herbs (any really) and garlic if youve got it- I promise you, its worth the effort. 

Message 10 of 52
Latest reply