first the greyhounds now the horses

Mass slaughter and abuse of racehorses undermines industry's commitment to animal welfare

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-18/slaughter-abuse-of-racehorses-undermines-industry-animal-welf...

really makes me wonder about the mentality of those running the 'industry' when they all saw the fallout from the exposure of the greyhound 'industry' and yet did nothing to get their own garden in order!

i couldnt watch after a few minutes of seeing live horses being slaughtered, how have we allowed this?

how have we believed they were finding loving homes for all the 'wastage' from this 'industry' when we knew how many horses were being born every year to feed this 'industry' with new blood?

not after we were exposed to what was happening in the greyhound industry.

Message 1 of 128
Latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

Been a very very long time for both the barbaric industries

But it's all good so long as 'people' make money and enjoy themselves

And then you get how these animal abusers 'love' the horses

My fat behind they do 

Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

And before anyone asks, no I have never been to/bet on racing 

Message 2 of 128
Latest reply

I watched around 20 minutes of it but had to drive some-one around so missed some of it.

I realise it was confronting watching horses being killed...........   but in most cases it was very quick and painless. Yes there where several incidences ( over weeks of secret filming ) where the horse thrashed about for a number of seconds and the worker had to re-bolt the horse, in one case 5 times. But how do we know this was not just muscle spasms that can occur for up to a minute after death ?

The method being used was the proper, approved, humane method of putting the animals down. 

It was graphic, it was horses and the filming was designed to push all of the emotional buttons on people who have become alienated from the food chain, but there was very little in the footage that could be described as cruelty.

There was one point where it was obvious to any-one with any knowledge of the slaughter process, that the reporter even blatantly lied to viewers. I picked it up and I am no expert, so I wonder how many other porkies where told in the story. There was a group of three related horses shown in an outside pen which the reporter claimed where killed in front of their siblings, the clear intention being to mislead viewers into believing they saw their siblings killed. This was patently untrue as footage of the slaughter pen showed it was fitted with the large metal viewing side shields that close around the animal before it receives the bolt to the head. These shields are regarded as best practice in the industry as they prevent animals from viewing what is happening to others ahead of them in the process.

I get that the footage is very graphic and would be hard for people who are closeted in their homes, alienated from nature, life and death to watch, but death is never pretty. Unfortunately every living being is going to experience it.

We are fortunate to live in a very wealthy country where we can have the debate about the merits or otherwise of the racing industry, vegetarianism and veganism. We are affluent enough that we can bend the rules of nature to ensure everything we eat is highly processed mush in a disposable plastic bowl from a freezer in a supermarket. Many others do not have this luxury. For most of the worlds population, food ( for thier animals and themselves ) comes from wherever it can be found and that includes running around on four legs as nature intended.

Message 3 of 128
Latest reply

I think it is sickening.  I have to admit that I am totally against greyhound and horse racing so of course I am biased. 

It seems to me that any animal used in that way to make money, then destroyed because they are no longer "useful", deserves so much better than that.

Message 4 of 128
Latest reply

IMO The racing industry always has been and always will be corrupt  ..... $$$ mean way more than the welfare of the animals and that will never change. There are way too many horse bred to race and far too many of them will never make it on the track.

Barry O Farrell's answers were an absolute joke, that man couldnt lie straight in bed

I hate horse racing with a passion, I dont even watch the Melbourne Cup

Worth a read

www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/champion-trainer-darren-weir-charged-with-animal-cruelty-and-con...

Message 5 of 128
Latest reply

Why not cut to the ' chase '.

Not one of those animals was ' humanely ' killed to be used as a food source.

Instead of having done their ' job ' - then re-homed for the term of their ' natural ' life - a small thank you for their efforts - killed.

They had simply outrun their usefulness. 

No excuses.

Message 6 of 128
Latest reply

Animal cruelty for the sake of animal cruelty and some $$$

No excuses 

Simple as that

Message 7 of 128
Latest reply

This is not about death and dying per se but animal welfare and sickening  abuse.  As many of us who are "closeted in their comfortable homes"  we are not as comfortable  with animal slaughter as farmers are,  but generally farmers would do it humanely.  This is anything but, and the footage shown only a sample of  what would be a widespread practice.  

Message 8 of 128
Latest reply

And not everyone here knows what it is like to be closeted in a comfortable home.

I and I am sure other members here have been through the kind of hell and back we would not wish on anyone 

Be that as it may does not take away from the fact of the abuse,torture and agony these animal face at the hands of evil human beings 

Message 9 of 128
Latest reply

martinw-48
Community Member
The people working in that abattoir all appeared to be sick sad sadists.
Deliberately inflicting as much pain as possible before those poor animals were dispatched.
Message 10 of 128
Latest reply