first the greyhounds now the horses

Mass slaughter and abuse of racehorses undermines industry's commitment to animal welfare

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-18/slaughter-abuse-of-racehorses-undermines-industry-animal-welf...

really makes me wonder about the mentality of those running the 'industry' when they all saw the fallout from the exposure of the greyhound 'industry' and yet did nothing to get their own garden in order!

i couldnt watch after a few minutes of seeing live horses being slaughtered, how have we allowed this?

how have we believed they were finding loving homes for all the 'wastage' from this 'industry' when we knew how many horses were being born every year to feed this 'industry' with new blood?

not after we were exposed to what was happening in the greyhound industry.

Message 1 of 128
Latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

Re: first the greyhounds now the horses

Retired racehorses' welfare poses huge challenge to racing industry, amid calls for change across the board

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-07/racings-awkward-truth-industry-at-long-odds-to-end-horse-wast...

sadly unlike dogs, the average family cant adopt an ex-racing horse.

i can see no answer besides stopping the rekless over breeding cycle in search of 'winners'

Message 121 of 128
Latest reply

Ex racehorses in Queensland would be a lot better off if Queensland Racing was not funding the Greyhound Adoption Program and actually allocated the money to rehoming and retraining racehorses and trotters as was intended.

Message 122 of 128
Latest reply

If they didnt OVER BREED so many race horses, there wouldnt be so many needlessly put down each year. It's interesting that the attendance at the cup was around 20K down this yr, perhaps people are slowly getting the message re the cruelty/corruption  that exists in the racing industry

Message 123 of 128
Latest reply

The same was said about the greyhound industry but that all seems to be forgotten now that they are making a fuss about rehoming the dogs.

But why is the Racing Industry paying for it when they need to rehome so many horses?

Message 124 of 128
Latest reply

Not all racehorses are suitable for eventing and there is also limited need for them.  There was a girl killed few years ago when she fell off an ex-race horse at some riding school, and it was at that time widely argued that ex-race horses are too dangerous for such places. 

My ex-racer was not dangerous, when I got him I could trust him to put my then 3 years old daughter on his back, and he would walk very lowly, and carefully looked back at her with each step making sure she is still up there.  He was lot more frisky when I was riding him, but he also seemed to know exactly how much I could take and I never actually fell of him. 

Message 125 of 128
Latest reply

@*kazumi* wrote:

Not all racehorses are suitable for eventing and there is also limited need for them.  There was a girl killed few years ago when she fell off an ex-race horse at some riding school, and it was at that time widely argued that ex-race horses are too dangerous for such places. 

My ex-racer was not dangerous, when I got him I could trust him to put my then 3 years old daughter on his back, and he would walk very lowly, and carefully looked back at her with each step making sure she is still up there.  He was lot more frisky when I was riding him, but he also seemed to know exactly how much I could take and I never actually fell of him. 

Could you point out where I have advocated ex racehorses be used in eventing?  It is highly unlikely that many racehorses would be successful in that discipline as it covers such a diverse range of activities.  In fact it takes a very special horse to make a good eventer and you are right about there being a limited use for them.

When my daughter was working for Gai Waterhouse as a stablehand her opinion of racehorses was that they were mad.....training consisted of one thing....run fast.

When they come off the track they need to learn new behaviour.....some are successful, some are not.

Many years ago there was an ex racehorse competing in the shows we went to.....a soon as he hit the ring we all knew who would be champion hack that day.   He was exquisite in looks and movement.  I cannot remember a single show where he was not the champion hack.  At the same time there were a number of ex racehorses in the show ring and they were very successful.

Over the years we had a number of horses off the track and they all aquitted themselves very well.

My daughter also worked for  number of riding schools during the time she was a free lance stable hand.....they all had horses off the track and there was never a problem.  It all depends on the horse's temperament and retraining when it comes off the track.

You cannot use a blanket statement that ex racehorses are not suitable for riding schools.

You cannot make a blanket statement about any breed of horse or pony....they are all different and training plays a big part of how they turn out.

Message 126 of 128
Latest reply

Have you actually read what I said?  "Not all racehorses are suitable....."  What i meant was that does not matter how much $$$ is going to be thrown at this, there will always be some horses that will be going to knackery.  And that is just the gallopers; I do not know why would anybody want ex-trotter or pacer as a riding horse.  Friends had some, and they were the most unpleasant experience to try to ride.   Of-course, they spent their training being told that breaking into canter is not allowed, and to un- teach them was difficult. 

Message 127 of 128
Latest reply

You specifically mentioned racehorses not being suitable for eventing.....I have never advocated that ever.  IMO racehorses are best suited to jumping, hacking and pleasure riding....with the occasional very successful dressage horse.

I agree with you about trying to retrain trotters and pacers.....it is a thankless task and rarely successful.  I feel very sorry for the trotters and pacers....it is not their fault that their early training has made them unsuitable for any other discipline.

It is very difficult to use them as saddle horses as all they have ever known is a harness.

Message 128 of 128
Latest reply