first the greyhounds now the horses

Mass slaughter and abuse of racehorses undermines industry's commitment to animal welfare

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-18/slaughter-abuse-of-racehorses-undermines-industry-animal-welf...

really makes me wonder about the mentality of those running the 'industry' when they all saw the fallout from the exposure of the greyhound 'industry' and yet did nothing to get their own garden in order!

i couldnt watch after a few minutes of seeing live horses being slaughtered, how have we allowed this?

how have we believed they were finding loving homes for all the 'wastage' from this 'industry' when we knew how many horses were being born every year to feed this 'industry' with new blood?

not after we were exposed to what was happening in the greyhound industry.

Message 1 of 128
Latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

Re: first the greyhounds now the horses

@travlyn2012 wrote:

I watched a film/doco  about animal agriculture earlier this year on Youtube,

titled Dominion by Aussie Farms and claims to be filmed in Aust.

Think most would be as shocked as I was about the treatment of animals and some

slaughtering practices.

Certainly not recommended viewing for the faint hearted

Article today on Yahoo7 news.

Not what I would call acceptable,

In the article it says that according to codes of practice  and guidelines for the goat farming industry

it is not illegal.

Viewer discretion.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/baby-goats-bludgeoned-to-death-by-farmer-victorian-farm-040624554.html

It happens to the calves born to dairy cows as well. the cow is kept lactating, the calf is superflous.

Mares are kept pregnant to extract hormone treatments like Premarin. The newborn foals are collateral damage.

That's the dark underbelly of the industries that rely on animal slavery.

Message 111 of 128
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
So,what's your pick for the Cox Plate today? Credlin?

Kristina?

Message 112 of 128
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

It happens to the calves born to dairy cows as well. the cow is kept lactating, the calf is superflous.

Mares are kept pregnant to extract hormone treatments like Premarin. The newborn foals are collateral damage.

That's the dark underbelly of the industries that rely on animal slavery.

The video "Dominion" I watched on youtube also covered what you mention with the calves and many other animals

from birth to slaughter plus the breading practices of pets (particuarly dogs) such as Puppy farms.

Agree with what you wrote about the dark underbelly of the industries.

Message 113 of 128
Latest reply

@myoclon1cjerk wrote:
So,what's your pick for the Cox Plate today? Credlin?

i'd pay to watch lamby riding dutton using a tazer to make him run faster

and cash being riden by any long term unemployed person

Message 114 of 128
Latest reply

Nobody here condones cruelty to horses or any other animal.  However, it has to be faced that pretty much all horses will sooner or later end up in knackery.  It is a fantasy to think that horses, racing or riding, will just retire to green pastures, and when they die will be buried there.  In most places burying them would be illegal.  So if horse drops dead in the paddock it is still taken to the knackery; if the carcass is not very fresh it is thrown into the lime pit. 

For animals longevity is not important; good quality of life and painless death is what should be guaranteed. 

Message 115 of 128
Latest reply

The Queensland greyhound adoption program gets almost $1 million a year, programs rehoming racehorses are now lucky to get $10,000

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-31/racehorse-rehoming-organisation-funding/11655472

time for the 'industry' to reach into the huge bag of money they make and set up a proper 'after racing' program dont you think?

Message 116 of 128
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

The Queensland greyhound adoption program gets almost $1 million a year, programs rehoming racehorses are now lucky to get $10,000

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-31/racehorse-rehoming-organisation-funding/11655472

time for the 'industry' to reach into the huge bag of money they make and set up a proper 'after racing' program dont you think?

Yeah right. And who's going to monitor the "after racing" program? The racing industry?

Message 117 of 128
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

Did you actually read that article David?

It is sending very mixed messages and is comparing apples with oranges so to speak.

I knew Melissa Bell when she lived in Sydney....she has always been into horse welfare.   If she is having difficulty rehoming horses then everyone will be in the same boat.

However, she is trying to rehome Standardbreds and they are notoriously difficult.....they do not make good showhorses or jumpers and often do not have the temperament for pleasure horses.

Did you realise that the funding of almost $1 million for the Greyhound rehoming project is coming from the Thoroughbred Welfare funding?  I would suggest that the funding be removed from the greyhounds and channelled into the Thoroughbreds where it was originally supposed to go.

As for the retraining of Thoroughbreds......there is an excellent program running where the racehorse owners and trainers are getting together with the jumping fraternity to retrain the ex racehorses for a career in jumping.   There is a program on TV at present about this showing the horses arriving to start their new lives and going all the way through to winning competitions with very good prize money.

For anyone who is interested it is called Jump Off and is on channel 7.

Message 118 of 128
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@davidc4430 wrote:

Yeah right. And who's going to monitor the "after racing" program? The racing industry?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRi5Y34xrjE

Message 119 of 128
Latest reply

Message 120 of 128
Latest reply