first the greyhounds now the horses

Mass slaughter and abuse of racehorses undermines industry's commitment to animal welfare

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-18/slaughter-abuse-of-racehorses-undermines-industry-animal-welf...

really makes me wonder about the mentality of those running the 'industry' when they all saw the fallout from the exposure of the greyhound 'industry' and yet did nothing to get their own garden in order!

i couldnt watch after a few minutes of seeing live horses being slaughtered, how have we allowed this?

how have we believed they were finding loving homes for all the 'wastage' from this 'industry' when we knew how many horses were being born every year to feed this 'industry' with new blood?

not after we were exposed to what was happening in the greyhound industry.

Message 1 of 128
Latest reply
127 REPLIES 127

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Have you ever had any contact with the horse industry other than what you read in the papers and see on the TV?

There is a lot more to it than just the racing industry.....Hacking and show horses, jumping, eventing, pony club.

My daughter has also worked as a stable hand and rider for Gai Waterhouse and has seen what goes on behind the scenes.....horses are treated very well or the worker would be out on their ear very quickly.

Yeah, Darren Weir treated his hoses very well     ...  NOT!

Make that horses

Message 31 of 128
Latest reply

As mentioned the racing industry is worth - 10s of 100s of millions.

What is stopping the industry employing Vets to euthanise at abattoirs in an humane manner.

What happens after - the horse doesn't care.

Message 32 of 128
Latest reply

www.theage.com.au/sport/exposed-secret-doping-case-inside-the-weir-scandal-20191015-p530vo.html

Yep, these trainers really do look after the horses in their care .............. NOT

Message 33 of 128
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

Of course animals need to be euthanised but there is a right and wrong way to do it

I have mentioned before that hubs is an ex Murray Grey/Merino sheep farmer and like most stock farmers there were times when he needed to put down one of his stock.  But that didnt mean he hit it, kicked it or hurt it in any way before he killed it. One bullet in its head, was all it took,quick, clean and the animal felt no fear or pain.

By the commentators own admission, the hidden cameras where in place for several weeks and in that time only witnessed a couple of examples of animals being struck, or deaths which took more than a few seconds from the hundreds of horses that where destroyed each day. Sure those couple of examples should not have occurred, but it does mean that over the hidden camera period many thousands of horses where destroyed humanely. As uncomfortable as it was to watch, this was confirmed by the many, many images of horses dropping dead instantly from the bolt to the head.

I realise this sounds a bit extreme but at least think about it for just a minute......The simple truth is, IF PEOPLE ARE REALLY GENUINELY OUTRAGED ABOUT THE USE OF HORSES IN THE DOG / PET FOOD INDUSTRY, HAVE YOUR DOGS EUTHENISED NOW AND PROTEST IN THE ISLES OF COLES AND WOOLIES ABOUT THE SALE OF DOG FOOD !!!!

Anyone who complains about the industry but is not prepared to live life without their pets is being naive and hypocritical.

Message 34 of 128
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

I realise this sounds a bit extreme but at least think about it for just a minute......The simple truth is, IF PEOPLE ARE REALLY GENUINELY OUTRAGED ABOUT THE USE OF HORSES IN THE DOG / PET FOOD INDUSTRY, HAVE YOUR DOGS EUTHENISED NOW AND PROTEST IN THE ISLES OF COLES AND WOOLIES ABOUT THE SALE OF DOG FOOD !!!!

Anyone who complains about the industry but is not prepared to live life without their pets is being naive and hypocritical.

As you are the only to mention the pet food industry - seems you are talking to yourself.

Message 35 of 128
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

As mentioned the racing industry is worth - 10s of 100s of millions.

What is stopping the industry employing Vets to euthanise at abattoirs in an humane manner.

What happens after - the horse doesn't care.

I appreciate you dont understand the intricacies of euthanasia, but what is happening now is best industry, vet approved practice.

Sorry for the gruesome detail ( AND DONT READ FURTHER IF GRAPHIC DETAIL IS DISTURBING TO YOU .... ) but the animals are placed in a shielded, smooth walled, metal enclosure where no other animals can see ( and be desturbed by ) the horse being put down. A long sharp, metal spike, powered by an explosive device is then shot through the animals skull and brain causing instant unconciesness and death, usually within seconds. This was confirmed by footage in the programme. It is quicker, more instant and less disturbing to the animal than injection etc. and all over in an instant. 

Yes the animal may have muscle spasms that can last a short while, but the animal is basically already dead. I have had discussions about buying one of these devices from my own vet and he confirms this is the most highly regarded method of euthanasing stock by the veterinary industry.  SOOO No animal cruelty there although I appreciate it is very confronting to the unitiated.

Message 36 of 128
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

As you are the only to mention the pet food industry - seems you are talking to yourself.

Thats because everyone else is too scared to admit they are part of the problem and cant find fault with the argument. Take away the demand for the product and the industry would shut tommorow. Everyone here knows its true !!!

Message 37 of 128
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

@chameleon54 wrote:

Spoiler
Checkmate..........Smiley Wink
Message 38 of 128
Latest reply

'm going to attempt a ' spoiler '. lol

Spoiler
Over verbose. lol
Message 39 of 128
Latest reply

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@lyhargr_0 wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Have you ever had any contact with the horse industry other than what you read in the papers and see on the TV?

There is a lot more to it than just the racing industry.....Hacking and show horses, jumping, eventing, pony club.

My daughter has also worked as a stable hand and rider for Gai Waterhouse and has seen what goes on behind the scenes.....horses are treated very well or the worker would be out on their ear very quickly.

Yeah, Darren Weir treated his hoses very well     ...  NOT!

Make that horses

Darren Weir is only one of many thousands of horse trainers in this country.   If he is the only one to be caught out and prosecuted I would suggest the industry is not as bad as it's detractors are trying to make out.

I believe you will find that any sport, whether it involves animals or not, will have trainers who do the wrong thing.

Message 40 of 128
Latest reply