And be nice 

See how long that lasts

Can we keep politics and religion out 

Of the conversation 

Message 1 of 12,453
Latest reply
12,452 REPLIES 12,452

the nothing ,anything ,everything thread

A youngish girl possum with a little one on her back, about two weeks older, at a guess, came by in the last two weeks.

She was back, tonight, with the little one beside her. It looks a bit big to ride on mum's back, anymore.

A healthy, alert little possum, showing an equally healthy interest in the food, ha ha.

A little after they left, young Mister Nuts came down.

It would've been all of three minutes later and Takeaway decided that stepping from the roof tiles over onto the plastic sheet pergola roof was too much trouble and it was easier to jump.

Thump!

Slam a car door, hard. That kind of thump, ha ha.

"I am announcing myself".

Then she started vocalising; that rasping, grunting, roaring call - This is My back yard and don't you forget it!

Ah, it's so good to hear the girl I know and love, ha ha.

🙂

Message 2441 of 12,453
Latest reply

weird-car.jpg

Once I worked out how to ocky strap the groceries to the front, I was right as rain, ha ha.

Message 2442 of 12,453
Latest reply

I had three magpies, all at once, all in for the evening meal.

The poor cockatoos didn't know themselves, ha ha.

Mum and Dad loaded up with macaroni and took off, little girl stayed behind, looking around, hopefully, for sunflower kernels, ha ha.

Just because I don't hear them doesn't mean the nest munchkins aren't there; Mother came back for another load of macaroni, right on dark.

They must be getting big if it takes both parents to do the end of evening feed.

Wait until they're big enough to get out on their own. There won't be a bug or a grub anywhere that's safe from their ravenous little appetites, and pity well meaning people like myself who have been giving their parents treats.

We won't be able to leave the house without a plate of goodies for them, ha ha.

🙂

Message 2443 of 12,453
Latest reply

The old valve radio sits up on a shelf, more or less in a corner.

When I found it, it had seen better days, the case had been left off it and the case and the insides were covered in dust and grime. 

About 30 years of accumulated dust and grime.

I spent hours cleaning it, and"fixed it up" as well as I could, with some help from the internet.

The first "test", to see if it would go involved a long extension lead, with it sitting in the middle of the driveway.

I figured if it was going to catch fire, or explode or do anything spectacular then it was better that it did it outside, where, if nothing else, it would amuse the neighbours, ha ha.

But no, no dramas, nothing but a little brown Bakelite box that sat, humming to itself, happily.

Much as I tried twiddling the dials and moving the tuning wheels, inside the case, I could ever pick up a station.

"Aerial", I said to myself, in a knowing tone, knowing also that I had no idea where an aerial might plug in, nor, how complicated an aerial it might have to be.

I didn't really like the idea of stringing up something that looks like a wire box kite, above the roof, the length of the house.

Been there, done that, not a lot of fun, ha ha.

It's good for increasing your AM radio reception, but unless you're into repetitive "Hits of the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's! All day, Every day! And night! We never stop! Please, please, make it stop!!", you might not want to venture down that path, ha ha.

So the radio came inside and onto a shelf - somewhere I can see it, but it's not in the way.

For the sake of amusement I took the case off; after all, the insides are much more amusing to look at than the brown box shell, ha ha.

It sits, on a shelf, more or less in the corner in the workshop.

Some days I'll step into the workshop without turning the light on and it'll be sitting there in the dark, valves glowing softly, chuckling and murmuring to itself, quite happily.

I thought it was a bit strange the first time I saw it doing that, after all, it's not plugged in, it hasn't been, not since that first test, many years back.

Ooh, Spooky!

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha!

😉

Message 2444 of 12,453
Latest reply

Some years ago I knew a bloke who kept chooks at home.

I remember him telling me that he was at home one day and he heard the chooks kick up a terrible fuss.

There were hawks in the area round where he lived,  in those days, and he though one had got into the chook run.

He went outside for a look, but everything seemed fine - right number of chooks, nothing broken.

He said about fifteen minutes later, the chooks started up, again, so he took a look out the back.

He said if you'd been there, you'd probably have fallen over laughing; there was a pair of cockatoos in the chook run, helping themselves to the chook food.

Obviously enough, the chookss weren't particularly amused by this, ha ha.

He said he put a roll of chicken wire over the run, and fastened it down with plastic cable ties - a quick and easy solution.

Or so he thought...

The cockatoos worked out, in a matter of a couple of weeks, that they could bite through the cable ties, push the wire out of the way, and get in that way.

As he said, gee that chicken food must've tasted good, ha ha.

I knew some characters, back in the day.

🙂

Message 2445 of 12,453
Latest reply

blimmin' Galahs 

Woman LOL

Message 2446 of 12,453
Latest reply

And Sandy will find out that Crows are even smarter.

The surprising and enjoyable part of that video, is that hubby plays that song on his guitar

Message 2447 of 12,453
Latest reply

Brilliant video. 🙂

Loved the guitar backing.

I know crows aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I've got a soft spot for the one that comes here, even if his heart is, apparently, as black as his feathers, ha ha.

🙂

Message 2448 of 12,453
Latest reply

IMG_1930 copy.jpg

See? Even crows have a sense of humour...

🙂

Message 2449 of 12,453
Latest reply

Message 2450 of 12,453
Latest reply