And be nice 

See how long that lasts

Can we keep politics and religion out 

Of the conversation 

Message 1 of 12,453
Latest reply
12,452 REPLIES 12,452

the nothing ,anything ,everything thread

So would I be right in assuming that the camel, featured, was the Berber of Seville?

😉

Message 2431 of 12,453
Latest reply

Takeaway trotted along the bridge, over the first platform, grabbing a large piece of bread in her mouth as she went.

She then attempted,, over the next three steps, to balance Pyrex on her back, trot, and grab the bread with her right hand paw.

She did reach the second platform, successfully, with only some difficulty, ha ha.

While she ate some bread, Pyrex ate some pear.

I know, I could hear, ha ha

Crunch, crunch, slurp, crunch...

There's a beam that runs the length of the pergola, on which the support beams for the roof sit.

The main beam is at just the right height, and is just the right width, for a little possum to explore...

Until, of course, they reach one of the roof supports that sit at right angles to the beam.

But there is no obstacle too big for a small, inquisitive possum...

Takeaway did a good job of looking like she wasn't in the least concerned (But you're a Mum, Takeaway, which means you've got eyes in the back of your head, ha ha).

With a little bit of scratching and scrabbling, a little possum appeared on the other side of the roof support, looking very pleased with herself.

Her next task was, of course, to get down from the beam, as Mum was sitting patiently on the bridge, but just out of her reach...

If I hang on with my feet, like this... If I hang on with my tail, like this... If I stretch and stretch...

And the bridge wasn't so far away, after all.

She barely had to scamper to catch up with her Mother and said "Hello, Mum! I'm tired out after that big adventure! I'm going to jump onto your back and cling to you, and you can take me to see other exciting places", ha ha.

🙂

Message 2432 of 12,453
Latest reply

I love all your stories.....particularly the ones about Takeaway and her baby:womanhappy

Bella, "my" possum also has a baby....still in the pouch so a few weeks behind Takeaways baby.  Tonight there was a leg and a long tail with a cute curl at the end protruding from the pouch - bub's foot is not much smaller than Bellas so I think he/she will be evicted pretty soon.

Message 2433 of 12,453
Latest reply

There was a girl possum with a young one about two weeks older than Pyrex that was here one night a couple of weeks back.

It seems to be a popular time of year to get the little ones out and running around. Or trying to wriggle back into the pouch, ha ha.

Somewhere I have a a photo of Takeaway with, I think, her first baby. She's walking along a bridge, and there's an extra leg sticking out, ha ha.

I don't know how they manage to get back into the pouch, once they're that size, but they do.

There were a few evenings where little Pyrex would say "That's it, I've had my thirty seconds out, clinging to your back, I want to get back into the pouch, now...".

That's a sight, ha ha.

"I want to get back into the pouch, Here!", regardless of how wide the bridge might be, or whether or not Mum's prepared, "No, I want to do this Now!". That's caused me a few heart stopping moments, ha ha.

I found this online, a good illustration I think.

980x.gif

They constantly amaze me. A not so little possum squeezing itself into a pouch that seems too small for it, and, as often as not it would seem, with no regard for Mum's comfort, too.

She patiently endures the process, helping where she can, and it sits somewhat at odds to the Takeaway that I know so well, who will charge, roaring aggressively at "intruders"; the world's worst landlady.

Motherhood softens her, ha ha.

At a very rough guess, working that young Pyrex is about four months old, and will be here until she's about six months old, if I give Takeaway a couple of months to get back on her feet, so to speak, then that's about four months. Given another say three months, on the principle that she'll breed again that quickly, I could be in a position to see another curly little tail sticking out of Mum's belly in about May.

But knowing Takeaway as I do, those dates are so elastic it isn't funny.

I'd like to say "I've got about so many months to teach myself how to take decent photos in low light", I'd like to say that, but I'm working in Possum Time, now and that bears very little similarity to "People Time".

Or she'll do what she did this time - I thought she had a bit of a bulge, maybe a month or so along, and within days there was a little tail, and a little leg poking out. So much for my estimate, ha ha.

Am I going to get a decent photo? Only (Possum) time will tell, ha ha.

Going back some years, there was a sweet shop (I think) in an arcade in Melbourne City.

They had a small, animated figure, a little man with a cane and he'd tap against the glass with it.

It's an interesting way of getting people's attention, ha ha.

Over the years, his repetitive tapping against the glass caused a small hole to appear, and I remember the shop owners having to replace the entire pane.

I'm reminded of this because I have a cockatoo at my kitchen window who is determinedly tapping on it, and if I don't go and do something about it, I may well find myself in need of a glazier...

"Are you sure you want the extra thick glass for this pane?".

"Trust me, mate, just trust me. It sees a lot of wear and tear, ha ha".

🙂

Message 2434 of 12,453
Latest reply

I like it when the Spring bulbs come up.

The long, lush green leaves, are a sign that the ground is warming and life is returning to the garden after the long cold.

The flowers, of whose names I remain entirely and utterly ignorant - the blue star shaped one, the many coloured star shaped ones, the bell-like ones, the ones which might be called fox gloves or something....

I'm not great with names, ha ha.

I know the birds are amused by the sudden flourish of colour.

Every so often I'll find a flower, delicately plucked and laid to one side, as though, having taken the flower, they weren't sure what to do with it, and over here seemed like a good place to put it, ha ha.

Someone else likes the soft, lush greenery, or perhaps by some strange coincidence I've managed to plant the bulk of it in precisely the right spot.

Either way, it amuses them to use it as a highway, ha ha.

The bulbs aren't suffering, particularly, it's just that they're a little flatter than usual.

Well, I know where the possum highways are, perhaps, chuckle, I should put up some more bridges.

I made a start on a new project, which is to say I found the folder with the patterns and templates and odd shaped cutout pieces of paper, and then had the amusing task of sorting through an A4 plastic sleeve bulging with little bits of paper, until I found what I wanted.

Or most of what I wanted because even my patience wears thin, after a bit.

Think of it as large scale confetti, with the same properties as confetti - once released from containment it will go Everywhere...

I found some scrap pieces of board, and traced the patterns onto those, so that's a start.

Now, I'm trying to muster the sufficient enthusiasm to cut them out.

"Maybe later" sounds good. "Maybe later" always sounds good, ha ha.

I'll add it to the list of things that "I should" be doing, today, but keep finding excuses not to.

🙂

Message 2435 of 12,453
Latest reply

Going back some years, there was a sweet shop (I think) in an arcade in Melbourne City.

They had a small, animated figure, a little man with a cane and he'd tap against the glass with it.

It's an interesting way of getting people's attention, ha ha.

Over the years, his repetitive tapping against the glass caused a small hole to appear, and I remember the shop owners having to replace the entire pane.

He was originally in Alexander's men's clothing shop Ecar.  He has been restored and now taps away in Haigh's chocolate store in the Block Arcade (without the metal tip)

I loved watching him when I was little.  They ended up putting

an extra thick piece of glass where he tapped.

Gerry Gee sang the jingle "where the little man taps, taps, taps on the window"

Message 2436 of 12,453
Latest reply

It goes to show how much attention I pay - lived in Melbourne for the better part of seven years, was a frequent visitor to the City, and if there hadn't been a story about the little bloke on the ABC I never would've known that he was there, ha ha.

🙂

Message 2437 of 12,453
Latest reply

I remember the Tooronga Village shopping centre on Toorak road because at one time the Coles there had a giant space rocket up on the roof, and from memory some kind of advertising logo about a "New World". It took me years to catch on to that - Coles New World supermarkets.

Just up the road from that there'd been a drive-in, but they tore that down to build, I think, the Coles corporate headquarters.

I'm no fan of modernist architecture, I've driven past the place and I think it's a terrible loss of a perfectly good drive-in, ha ha.

I sort of miss Melbourne. I sort of don't, too. I think I spent just the right amount of time there, saw what I had to see, did what I had to do, left with a smile on my face.

🙂

Message 2438 of 12,453
Latest reply

I think we only have two drive-ins left.    Coburg is going great guns.  It has 3 screens

The other is at Dandenong. 

Message 2439 of 12,453
Latest reply

I remember Mum talking about Gerry Gee.

She said she always thought his performances were a litle wooden.

Boom,  boom!

😉

Message 2440 of 12,453
Latest reply