The EH unbuild rebuild thread.. out with the v6 and in with the trick 202 and celica box

So.. I have been helping a friend with his written of v6 EH. We are getting to the business end of the build so I thought I would put up some pics  The EH premier stationwagon...went like a demon but stopped like a fixed wheel pushbike Smiley Indifferent and he flipped it on a notorious Viewmont corner . (that those WRC cars will be hurling around again at 200ks plus in 8 weeks incidentally) with a full load of grog and 20 litre drums of old fish and chip oil that was destined for Viewys and frogs hollow "great bio fuel caper"

..... Guess what 1960s rubber.headlining,trim etc and modern vegetable oil do not mix...surprisingl

... He let the registration lapse so that a new Auvis inspection and reengineering was required.

He was originally going to replace the cactus subframe with another cut subframe, reinstall the v6 with a body stiffening kit. We also needed to change the front discs to ventilated ones (HQ or LH) to meet the new AUVIS regs which also required caliper change.....think lots of dollars... even before the engineer had his crack.......

So at his request  I notched the subframe for the v6 sump then reinforced it jigged and fitted the steering rack brackets for an LH rack, cut off the HR mounts and fitted plates to take the v6 mounts ..... about 12 months ago....... No work since....

He has decided now to go with a livened up black 202 and celica 5 speed ( which hopefully will usurp the engineers reprt requirement....... which means I need to fill the notch and remove the LH brackets and v6 mounting backets. Presently the cab is completely stripped and on a rolling trolley as we get it ready for paint

some pics of the EH sans subframe and front end with the buick v6 still insitu  Image0691.jpgImage0692.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 1 of 70
Latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

The EH unbuild rebuild thread.. out with the v6 and in with the trick 202 and celica box

Projects coming along well--you have other things on the go-re the other thread..............Richo.

Message 31 of 70
Latest reply

chop chop...making a little extra room for the celica gearbox

Image1059.jpg

Image1057.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 32 of 70
Latest reply

Image1047.jpgup to the 'boarding' stage witness coat just about finished

Image1048.jpg202 engine in the foreground sans sump. It had a HR sump on it which will not fit into the EH without fouling the drag link and crossmember in realtion to the engine mount position. You need to use the sump that suits the car. Going with a "189" ( a186 bored out 40 thou) red motor now. Using roller rockers, a yella terra head, x2 inlet manifolds headers and carbies.

Message 33 of 70
Latest reply

Image1049.jpgthis is Dusty the purebred Dingo....don't have to worry about locking the shed... He's a corker... lets them in...no worries... but won't let them out...... lmao..... climbing into the rafters is your best preservation option  as the electricity meter reader man has worked out

Image1050.jpg

Message 34 of 70
Latest reply

Image1051.jpgdigger...the quality assurance i inspector

Image1052.jpg

Message 35 of 70
Latest reply

The observant will see why we decided to bore it out to a 189.....

Image1055.jpg

some random Smurf and their eeny weeny blue Smurfmobile (Daihatsu Mira J 660cc...yes that's  2/3 of 1 litre )...on her way

to work at the local cinema

Image1063.jpg

Message 36 of 70
Latest reply

Hi Dave some great pics.

Liked the security system--no padlocks required lol.

Reckon Digger would be a good back up if needed.

Projects going along well.

Will leave the eagle eyed Joe-LL and Colic to solve the mystery question...............Richo.

Message 37 of 70
Latest reply

new motor.jpg

Richo the VHT colour was supposed to be 186 maroon as per top of can ... (actually brake caliper paint)  closer to dog cocque

red I believe.........woooops

diced the 202 in favour of... the oldie but a goodie

186 red engine block bored out 40 thou to make it approximately a 189.  bead blasted, acid bathed and etch primed pre paint

Yella terra stage 3 head, ported and polished roller rockers, 30/70  high lift cam, high volume oil pump, HD x2 headers, carbies, inlet manifold and original air filter internally polished, cleaned and kitted.

The flywheel has been dressed and balanced chrome side covers and tappet cover finish off the 'bling"

Message 38 of 70
Latest reply

as to the question 'why' you bored it to 40 thou , all i can see are poly bushes and sway bar. does it handle better therefore needs to be faster ?  i had a HD X2 wagon, it was quite cammy for a red motor , and a deal faster. the car looks great.

Message 39 of 70
Latest reply

Jeez, there's something you don't see every day... grease nipples on the upper and lower wishbones!
Message 40 of 70
Latest reply