The EH unbuild rebuild thread.. out with the v6 and in with the trick 202 and celica box

So.. I have been helping a friend with his written of v6 EH. We are getting to the business end of the build so I thought I would put up some pics  The EH premier stationwagon...went like a demon but stopped like a fixed wheel pushbike Smiley Indifferent and he flipped it on a notorious Viewmont corner . (that those WRC cars will be hurling around again at 200ks plus in 8 weeks incidentally) with a full load of grog and 20 litre drums of old fish and chip oil that was destined for Viewys and frogs hollow "great bio fuel caper"

..... Guess what 1960s rubber.headlining,trim etc and modern vegetable oil do not mix...surprisingl

... He let the registration lapse so that a new Auvis inspection and reengineering was required.

He was originally going to replace the cactus subframe with another cut subframe, reinstall the v6 with a body stiffening kit. We also needed to change the front discs to ventilated ones (HQ or LH) to meet the new AUVIS regs which also required caliper change.....think lots of dollars... even before the engineer had his crack.......

So at his request  I notched the subframe for the v6 sump then reinforced it jigged and fitted the steering rack brackets for an LH rack, cut off the HR mounts and fitted plates to take the v6 mounts ..... about 12 months ago....... No work since....

He has decided now to go with a livened up black 202 and celica 5 speed ( which hopefully will usurp the engineers reprt requirement....... which means I need to fill the notch and remove the LH brackets and v6 mounting backets. Presently the cab is completely stripped and on a rolling trolley as we get it ready for paint

some pics of the EH sans subframe and front end with the buick v6 still insitu  Image0691.jpgImage0692.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 1 of 70
Latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

The EH unbuild rebuild thread.. out with the v6 and in with the trick 202 and celica box

Resting on the noggin on back wall of the shed LL private black and white number plates EH189

Got the circa 1976..odd..  repco flaring tool kit out. Using copper covered drawn steel lines for the brakes.We have replaced the whole lot, new vh40 remote booster, new steel clutch lines

If you look closely in the next few shots ( as compared to the original engine shots) you can see the fuel line from the pp to carbie  is also in the process of being tricked as is the vacuum line dist to carb base.

Original dual strommies need a polish.

The dizzy is an electronic one from the later model black 202 engine. Had a choice of alternators luckily the 55 amp wide stator is serviceable and is now mounted

Image1198.jpg

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 41 of 70
Latest reply

Image1182.jpg

Message 42 of 70
Latest reply

Image1195.jpgImage1194.jpg

Message 43 of 70
Latest reply

Image1186.jpg......# Caution slave cylinder adjustment rod bodge in progress

Message 44 of 70
Latest reply

Bled the brakes yesterday and have a solid pedal woooooohooooooo this shot is from a couple of days ago. I will get some shots of the completed frt lines today they looooooook seeeexxxxyyyy baby (Des said they look like a pro did em).... a procrastinator he must obviously mean???

Image1179.jpg

If anybody can find an x2 original dual exhaust pipe.... I want it.......... These pipes are gunna be a huge headache... and it already is hurting 11/2 inch flanges and pipe.

Image1178.jpg

Message 45 of 70
Latest reply

colour my world... please

Image1176.jpg

Message 46 of 70
Latest reply

Image1197.jpg

Clutch and Brake master cylinders mounted, bled and full of new dot 4 fluid

Message 47 of 70
Latest reply

Getting there Dave--more work needed.

Watch out for -snakes lol--re your recent thread.

Think the colour for the engine paint is called rocket red VHT.

Its between the red you used and Chevy orange.

Looking forward for more updates......................................Richo.

Message 48 of 70
Latest reply

well...it's been a while.. getting towards the end of the project.

So I thought I would put up some more pics. It has been a real mission fitting out the dash for the air conditioning.

Des is using also digital gauges including a cut down commodore speedo/odo face in the old EH speedo surround.

It uses a cable from the celica gearbox to the rear of the dash and then goes into the Commo adaptor that converts the cable spin into an electronic pulse. Pictured below are some of the dash pod digital gauges and the you beaut pop out DVD screen that is integrated into the music head. It will also be the monitor for the the reversing cameras. You can see the integrated A/C unit and piping underneath the dash. Probably going to use the original premier dash console...but will have to cut it up..."sacrilege" comes to mind

Image1217.jpg

Message 49 of 70
Latest reply

Moved the battery from the LHS to the RHS to make way for the chromed Sanden sd2 compressor and the A/C reciever/dryer.

Although not fitted yet we are going to use a commodore sprung serpentine belt tensioner to add some extra adjustment/tension to the AC belt. We needed to make a spacer to move the fan a little forward as....."during testing" we managed to cut through 3 drive belts befiore we decided that the clearance was a little slim.

An engineer friend turned down a bolton front pulley that came off a ford v8 engine to suit the front of the Holden harmonic balancer. We used a shim to allow the balancer to "flex" on its rubber mount.

The A/C pump bracket is more or less a Blue motor "smog pump" bracket turned upside down and cut up a wee bit.

A/C is gassed and running as cool as a cucumber

Image1219.jpg

Message 50 of 70
Latest reply