10.9% selling fee on this site is daylight robbery.. I've removed my adverts. Will not use again

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: 10.9% selling fee on this site is daylight robbery.. I've removed my adverts. Will not use again

Your choice.

It's been that for several years. The other big online site charges more, and an auction house more again. It is usually wise to determine what fees apply BEFORE starting to sell, and price your items accordingly.

If you're selling things that are pickup, you could try free avenues, but, generally, for stuff you want a wide audience for, this is still the best game in town.

Don't forget the 30c + 2.6% Paypal fee.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to tell us you were leaving. If you were selling on this ID you weren't selling a lot, so nobody is likely to miss you.

Message 2 of 28
Latest reply

Re: 10.9% selling fee on this site is daylight robbery.. I've removed my adverts. Will not use again

So what charge do you consider appropriate and financially sustainable.  Don't tell me you expect to sell for free.

Most  auction houses charge 22% + selling fee

Message 3 of 28
Latest reply

Newsflash

eBay staff do not read here and would not give a toss even if they did

You are well aware of the fees up front before selling

See ya

Message 4 of 28
Latest reply

I am fine with paying the 10.9% final value fee for the sale of an item but what does my head in is Ebay feeling the need to steal, yes I call it stealing 10.9% of the shipping charges. That I am sorry is totally wrong. Then when someone pays by Paypal they take their percentage of the total deposited. And the total paid gets deposited into Paypal cause Ebay do not take theirs straight away theirs comes at the end of the month on your invoice. Today I charged someone $45.50 for shipping to the US which cost me that much to post it. I have in my listings about the extra, well I thought it was 10% but found out Ebay now take 10.9% but I did not add it to invoice so I am out of pocket more that $5. No business ever wins by putting their fees up, each time you do you lose more customers. In order to try to get back to how good it used to be on here they should be reducing the fees. Even myself am seriously looking at selling on Facebook where it costs you nothing, they just do not have the auction format that I like to use for certain items.

Message 5 of 28
Latest reply

Gee which auction house you been using. I get charged 16.5% and all I have to do is turn up with the item. To sell on EBay it takes me ages once I research the item, write about it, download the photos etc. I have been with Ebay for a very long time, at least 15 years so it’s hard to move to a different site but it will come a time where it really will not be worth selling on here and Ebay can only blame themselves for losing sellers. Sellers are the backbone of Ebay, we are the ones that pay, buyers don’t so they should be looking after us better
Message 6 of 28
Latest reply

If your buyers are not paying your fees then you are pricing your good too low.

Any good seller builds their fees and charges into their prices so they do not loose money.

Message 7 of 28
Latest reply

i have seen auctions on facebook -the only issue is you will still get non payers or change of mind - the social media market was worth 16 billion dollars in the last financial year - people even sell on youtube and make a motza

Message 8 of 28
Latest reply

I use Australia Post's MyPost Business to print shipping labels and am finding it time consuming and slow. It is one area I am having trouble speeding up so how do you sell a large number of items on these sites and integrate printing shipping labels not to mention payments.  Currently on ebay payments and customer addresses are instant so there is no need for any work on my part but selling on these sites as far as I know requires you to organise the payment then the customer address.

If your only selling a few items a day this would work but if your selling 10-20 items a day that will take up a lot of your time. If you are only selling pick up items then it will be irrelevent but why did so many businesses start selling online if pick up items are so popular.

Message 9 of 28
Latest reply

For 10% (plus Paypal fees) I think we get an excellent deal on Ebay.

Sellers should build any and all fees into their product prices so they do not incur a loss.

Just for comparison, Amazon (which is a brutal and complicated platform) charges 15-17% FVF fee and sellers who actually send their items into an Amazon warehouse gets to pay even more on top of that for the privilege (The Australian warehouse charges a pick/pack fee between $1.48 - $18.87 PER ITEM plus a monthly storage charge between $19.40-$26.50 per cubic meter, depending on the time of the year). 

Ebay is easily the best and easiest route for selling items if you bother to learn the ropes.

Message 10 of 28
Latest reply