1000 free listings 28/07 - 03/08/16

No link for this one.

Just go to your Selling Manager page and it will be there under Promotional Offers to activate if you are eligible.

Good luck.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: 1000 free listings 28/07 - 03/08/16

@annieoakley2000 wrote:

It's great to get these messages for 1000 free listings + share the link with others, but has anyone ever stopped to think how many more listings this adds to the E-Bay pool of items for sale at any one time ?????

Even if only 100 sellers take up this offer; that is already 100.000 more items on E-Bay in one go !

1000 sellers is 1.000.000 more items on E-Bay in one go !

It is a known fact that if buyers have too much of a choice of 1 item - they don't make up their mind at all or have greatest of difficulty making a selection ( I think the test limit was 7 of the same item; after that the human brain goes into meltdown) or if their selection is based on finance alone they most likely pick the cheapest item on offer, just because its there !

If you relate this to E-Bay perhaps you have the answer why there are so many complaints on these boards that no one is selling anything/sales are so slow/sales have slowed down considerably/sales are in patches only etc etc

Perhaps too many cooks spoil the broth !

I have thought that a few times too, so your points are very valid I think. I run auctions with a BIN option, and this year I have run one day auctions for these bigger promotions. So far it has worked a treat! 98% of my items sell with only one bid at normal times, so if they sell with one bid during my one day auction blitz, I haven't lost out. I trialled it earlier in the year and did really well out of it so have kept doing it.

A lot of auction buyers search by time ending soonest or newly listed. By running the one day auctions, I am capturing both those groups of buyers. I've heard others say they have listed hundreds of new items during a promotion and have sold very little to none. I always seem to do quite well. My start prices are the lowest I'm happy to accept and they are often higher than other sellers of similar items, so all I can put it down to is luck!

Message 21 of 24
Latest reply

acenyg
Community Member

Thanks for sharing but again no joy for me. So sick and tired of being left out. As it says - if your eligible (which eBay in their wisdom don't make clear who is or isn't). Anyway, best of luck to those who got it. 

Message 22 of 24
Latest reply

@annieoakley2000 wrote:

It's great to get these messages for 1000 free listings + share the link with others, but has anyone ever stopped to think how many more listings this adds to the E-Bay pool of items for sale at any one time ?????

Even if only 100 sellers take up this offer; that is already 100.000 more items on E-Bay in one go !

1000 sellers is 1.000.000 more items on E-Bay in one go !

It is a known fact that if buyers have too much of a choice of 1 item - they don't make up their mind at all or have greatest of difficulty making a selection ( I think the test limit was 7 of the same item; after that the human brain goes into meltdown) or if their selection is based on finance alone they most likely pick the cheapest item on offer, just because its there !

If you relate this to E-Bay perhaps you have the answer why there are so many complaints on these boards that no one is selling anything/sales are so slow/sales have slowed down considerably/sales are in patches only etc etc

Perhaps too many cooks spoil the broth !

Most sellers would not use the full 1000 listings. I was lucky to get the link to work and have kept reasonably busy the last few days running 1 & 3 day auctions and relisting unsold items as 30 day BINS.. I have used around 300 of the listings so far and might get another 100 done.

Sales have been extremely good from the auctions and the BINS sales will keep trickling in over the next month. This is sales ebay would not have got without the 1000 freebies as I would have spent my time doing something else. I have made a weeks wages in the last few days so the commisions to ebay are worth quite a bit

I suspect ebay use these freebies offers to increase listing numbers when things are slow, making their figures look better. By giving the freebies to private account holders rather than stores they get fresh stock onto the site. They also get money into private paypal accounts and some of this would recycle back onto the site in the form of purchases from other store sellers.

Basically a win, win, win for everyone. By controlling when these freebies are given, ebay retain control of when the bulk new listings appear on their books as sellers get very busy when recieving the offers. Note, many of these offers come a few days before the end of the month. This is a time when pre set listing targets for the site would need to be met.

Message 23 of 24
Latest reply

I agree that most sellers wouldn't use anything like the 1,000 listings.  I keep telling myself to prepare listings ahead of time and store them as scheduled listings so they're ready to go when we get freebies, but I'm just not motivated at the moment and I wouldn't get up to anything like 1,000 anyway.

Some categories need more listings to make them worth looking at.  If there were no extra freebies some categories would just have rubbish in them all the time and a lot of buyers wouldn't bother coming back for another look.  It's often the extra freebies that add the interesting items.  I have a friend who has up to 150 listings at any one time but when she takes a break the category is hardly worth looking at.

Message 24 of 24
Latest reply