21 DAY HOLD FINANCIAL SERVICE OMBUDSMAN WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU

Having lodged a complaint against Pay Pal and Ebay in regards to illegally freezing funds and also referring the matter to the privacy commisioner.  The Financial Services Ombudsman also wants to hear about accounts where funds have been placed under the 21 day hold. Their office is anticipating an across board deluge of complaints and they wish to be advised of individual cases as believe this is a breach of law.

Message 1 of 524
Latest reply
523 REPLIES 523

Re: 21 DAY HOLD FINANCIAL SERVICE OMBUDSMAN WANTS TO HEAR FROM YOU

Well, it took a week from lodging with the FOS but Paypal have now released all my payments.

Funny thing though...my ebay seller headboard is still showing all of them as 'pending', days later.

Message 431 of 524
Latest reply

I have been with eBay since 2003, but started a new ID to sell a new line. My payments have been on hold for 21 days despite being a longterm Paypal AND eBay customer.

I called today to complain and was basically getting nowhere. Now from dealing with Telstra I know you really don't get anywhere unless you are very firm (read angry, squeaky wheel, etc), so although I hate making a fuss I did.

I told them I thought it was unethical and illegal and I will be complaining to whoever listens. The operator basically said 'go ahead' so I asked to speak to a supervisor.

When they came on the line they spoke over my rant and said they had taken the hold off. Before my eyes the pending payments were made available!  So that's how I dealt with it. I do feel sorry for the operator and the supervisor but at the end of the day if I can't access my money for 3 weeks it makes it extremely hard for forward planning (not to mention it seems to take several days to withdraw funds).

So I wouldn't say I was happy but I did get the result I set out to get.

Message 432 of 524
Latest reply

Is the removal of the hold permanent or just for current pending items? I can totally understand them doing it with brand new sellers (although the ones they are targetting get around it by selling cheap stuff to friends to get their feedback numbers up so they aren't affected), but I think if you already have an established history on other accounts, you should automatically be exempt if the funds are going into the same account.

Message 433 of 524
Latest reply

@cinema-arts wrote:

yeah thats what I think happened, but the clearing date says 2nd march, (and was refunded on the 9th of Feb)

Perhaps paypal won't refund it to you until they've cleared the funds into the seller's account.  Ludicrous, but nothing would surprise me!

Message 434 of 524
Latest reply

@i-love-my-sheep wrote:

Is the removal of the hold permanent or just for current pending items? I can totally understand them doing it with brand new sellers (although the ones they are targetting get around it by selling cheap stuff to friends to get their feedback numbers up so they aren't affected), but I think if you already have an established history on other accounts, you should automatically be exempt if the funds are going into the same account.

Yes I made sure it was for current and future transactions. And that was my argument - why should it not be so? I had spoken to eBay several times about selling limits and my accounts were linked so there was no reason to restrict my account.

Message 435 of 524
Latest reply

Great news!! Obviously the squeaky wheel tactic worked because others have had no luck ringing up and have had to resort to a FOS complaint.

Message 436 of 524
Latest reply

Hi to "i-love-my-sheep" and "indigorosey" FYI

I've just had another sale tonight. YAAY.

Celebrations are short lived as this payment is also showing as ON HOLD UNTIL 9/3/15...... despite my verbal protestations and YELLING at the Paypal Rep previously when my 2 prior sales amounts in he last week of January were released "before my eyes".

I do feel another phone call is in order in the morning and a few copy & pastes will now have to be added to my complaint already lodged with the Financial Ombudsman ?? toothless tiger. hmmm

Message 437 of 524
Latest reply

Hi Mate, 

Do you have a case number or something - I will put in a similar complaint with them using my money without my authorisation on top of just freezing my account. 

I just want someone to pay attention to what these dudes are doing here as they think they can get away with pretty much everything...

Cheers,

Gabi

Message 438 of 524
Latest reply

You will get your own case number when you file your complaint.

Message 439 of 524
Latest reply

they used your money? how?

Message 440 of 524
Latest reply