40 free listings should be increased for sellers without a store

Why can't ebay increase the amount to 250 or so for sellers without a store? Especially now that the other promos are pretty much gone.

ebay will still be making money with the fvf and small sellers can at least list a decent amount of items without having to open a store.

Message 1 of 106
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@pupeteo wrote:

Why can't ebay increase the amount to 250 or so for sellers without a store? Especially now that the other promos are pretty much gone.

ebay will still be making money with the fvf and small sellers can at least list a decent amount of items without having to open a store.

There is no reason why they can't, but I can think of a lot of reasons why they wouldn't.

You have to look at the situation from a much broader perspective to see what may (or may not) motivate ebay to do something, and whether that something would be in their best interest, and / or in line with their current business model and goals - 250 free listings a month would be great for you, and many other sellers, I'm sure, but would it be great for the site? eBay came up with the 40-free number as the basic quantity a few years ago now (it used to be 30, and you'd lose access to them if you reached Power Seller level, which was only $1k sales in a year), but my point is they have had a pretty good length of time to figure out what the sweet spot is between basic free listings, promos and the incentives to open a store instead. 

You do mention that ebay would still make money off the FVF, but they make less money off the FVF from sellers who have stores, so why have store packages at all if it would be in eBay's best interest to just give everyone free listings? 

If eBay only make money when something sells, and sellers have no incentive to curate their stuff and try to list items with good sell-through rates because it's not costing them anything but time, then you end up with millions of stagnant listings on the site that aren't doing anyone any good.

And I'm not saying you personally would list junk on the site for years on end, just because you could, I'm saying that there would be plenty of sellers who would, and ebay has to think about that sort of thing when they decide what to offer its members as a bonus. 

eBay might even have data that suggests sellers who take advantage of free listing offers and build up a good catalogue of items are more likely to end up opening a store and continue building inventory, and maybe conduct things less casually than those who don't want to operate a store - and again, this is not a suggestion that you yourself do not operate seriously and professionally, it's more a suggestion that those who will open a store might be more likely to accept returns, offer premium services, guaranteed delivery, and accept shrinkage etc, and all those other things that eBay likes....because ebay don't look at you as an individual, or any other seller, and go "ok, Joe Bloggs would really benefit from this strategy", they look at data and stats collected from the accounts of millions of sellers, and ask themselves how best to use it to their own advantage. 

View solution in original post

Message 36 of 106
Latest reply
105 REPLIES 105

Surely with 476 BIN listings it would work out cheaper for you to have a store ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 106
Latest reply

If its charity you want you need to contact the Salvation Army or Red Cross.

Ebay is a business just like a supermarket or doctors surgery. It costs ebay a lot of money to supply and maintain its listing services, whether an item sells or not. Why should it give its listing services away to you free of charge ???

Message 3 of 106
Latest reply

Not really, and I don't want the pressure of HAVING to sell enough each month to make it worth it. Sometimes we don't have many sales per month.

Message 4 of 106
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Surely with 476 BIN listings it would work out cheaper for you to have a store ?

Hows this for useful then.............Not only 476 BIN listings but the OP has sold 126 items in the last 90 days with some on the first page valued at up to $125. Even so, they still dont want to pay a few dollars for a store.

And you think I,ve got problems..............Man Very Happy

Message 5 of 106
Latest reply

So what?  Ebay were giving away FREE listings and FREE fvf every month not so long ago. What is wrong with asking this question?

Do you work for ebay or are you just a jealous whinger?

Message 6 of 106
Latest reply

@pupeteo wrote:

So what?  Ebay were giving away FREE listings and FREE fvf every month not so long ago. What is wrong with asking this question?

Do you work for ebay or are you just a jealous whinger?

Neither.

Message 7 of 106
Latest reply

Nothing wrong with asking the question, but eBay would have a bottom line and have obviously decided that free the listings weren't cost-effective (apart from clogging the site with junk).

I imagine the only way those free listings will come back is if they increase the FVFs to make up for it.

Wouldn't THAT get the sellers howling..............particularly if they didn't take up those extra listings.

And in before you ask it, no I don't work for eBay either.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 106
Latest reply

That is why I asked/wondered about the possibility of increasing the listings,simple as that.  Though I am sure it would be worth it to ebay to increase them somewhat. Anyway...

Message 9 of 106
Latest reply

YOU were the one who started the thread. That normally means you want opinions, given eBay don't read the boards nor respond to unsolicited suggestions. Or did you just want validation?

Why should people who won't pay for a store get benefits that store holders don't? Why should YOU get a benefit I don't?

Message 10 of 106
Latest reply