A buyer wants my bank details, it's too risky!

idss1
Community Member

I was under the impression that if my listing only accepted Paypal, then a buyer couldn't demand my bank account details...

A buyer who has bought over 50 items on Ebay and the majority is from China, claims they don't have Paypal or a credit card and has sent several requests for my bank details which I have politely refused.

I understand that people can use these details to make online purchases. My bank has also indicated it is not safe.

I contacted Ebay for advice and got this response.

It’s important that you reach an agreement that works for both of you, because the buyer has the option of reporting you as a non-selling seller, and could also leave you negative Feedback.

It sounds to me as if I don't have a choice. This person has no way to trace them, if they were intending on committing fraud. I have read some discussion board comments, which suggest setting up a bank account with a zero balance, just for Ebay. Does anybody else have this problem, or know of another solution?

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

We have offered bank transfer as an option on Ebay for more than 10 years without problems other than a few with "buyers remorse". 

We have a bank account for these transactions which is cleared regularly into our main account.

We are with managed payments now on Ebay, so don't know how buyers pay now, however we still have the bank transfer option on our own website where we only had 1 non payer during December that opted for bank transfer.  We prefer Paypal even though we pay a commission, however it is instant payment

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Good to see someone posting on a 5 year old thread, albeit in the wrong country.

Nice way to finish 2020's 'Year of the Golden Thread' though...
Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

So it is ........Probably should read before I jump in

Have a great New Year in 2021 & hope all these problems go away soon.

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

ref "A buyer wants my bank details, it's too risky!"

eBay NOW want my bank details (or I cannot do business with eBay), I say " it's too risky!"

eBay did not need this before, and despite "parting ways" with PayPal (which they could fix) I do not believe eBay should have such personal information now

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

Begin a new thread - this one is 7 years old. 

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply