Advice sought on holiday mode settings

Our main eBay store site is very active and averages 15-20 sales per day.  We have worked hard over the years to build a solid reputation for both qulaity of products and the despatch of order on the same day as received.

At long last, we want to take a one week vacation, but with the least possible negative impact on our eBay status and sales.

It is my understanding we can (a) put our store on "holiday mode", and warn buyers of a delay in processing orders (b) block buyers from making a purchase during the holiday mode setting (or so I am informed by eBay reps) and (c) extending our current 1 day process/shipping of order to (say) 7 days.

I would greatly appreciate input from the more learned members as to the best way forward, and in particular  will help protect our eBay status.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Advice sought on holiday mode settings

I hope you enjoy your holiday!

I am similar in the sense that I take my job seriously, post daily and like to have happy customers so often go to lengths that they would not realise to ensure the product and service are great [as most of us would relate].

Basically it is how much pain you are willing to endure when you return.

The least painful path is to shut down.

However the financial loss of not being 'employed' for that period of time can be the unattractive option.

If you keep your store open you are 100% going to have customers who miss the bright orange banner at the top of the listing stating you are on holidays and are away. There is nothing you can do about this as it is a very bright warning and can not be missed, but people will miss it.

Also if there is an issue and a case is opened [ even if it is a 'doesn't fit me' case and not your fault ].... the case can be closed without your response even if your store is in holiday mode. In your scenario you are not away that long but just worth a note, basically even if the world knows you are away there is still an expectation that you can handle issues and respond to people.

I set up an out of email response with full explanation and dates etc and still people will email more than once asking about delivery.

So 100% you will have issues but are you prepared for a bit of a headache when you return along with some funds in the account or 100% stress free.

Enjoy your holiday!

Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Advice sought on holiday mode settings

Feedback for all of those members that offered advice as to the best course of action.

We put our store on "holiday mode" advising we were closed from 14 Jul - 22 Jul and also changed our handling time from same business day to 7 days.

Sales dropped only about 25% - 30% during the period so really hard to say if the holiday break was the reason.

So far we have received no negative comments about late shipping/delivery.

Many thanks to all of the members that offered their contructive advice and yes, the holiday in Penang was great!!

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply