An item that was sold and has not been paid for. I opened a case and nothing is happening.What to do

I am very annoyed that I sold an item and have not heard a thing from the successful bidder and now have probably lost any underbidders. I know I can re sell but what happens to this buyer who didnt pay. Nothing?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

An item that was sold and has not been paid for. I opened a case and nothing is happening.What to do

goldenchook, if it's been 4 days and the item has not been paid for, you can "Report an Unpaid Item". After another 4 days, you must manually close the case in the Resolution Centre. (Make sure you select NO under "Have you received payment from the buyer?")

Bookmark the policy: Resolving unpaid items.

To decrease the risk of this happening again, set your buyer requirements to weed out the repeat offenders. Buyers who have a history of unpaid items can be blocked; you can also block buyers based on not having been phone-verified.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

You sold some items of clothes beginning to mid April.

I would never wait more than 5-6 days before opening an unpaid item case if I don't hear anything from the buyer.

That gives them a further 4 days to pay and if they don't, I close the case as soon as I can which issues their account with a strike and I get the fee credited back. Feedback cannot be left once an unpaid case is complete.

2 or more strikes on an account means they cannot bid or buy from sellers with blocks set up.

Do as the countess suggests. Smiley Wink

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@goldenchook wrote:

I am very annoyed that I sold an item and have not heard a thing from the successful bidder and now have probably lost any underbidders. I know I can re sell but what happens to this buyer who didnt pay. Nothing?

Do exactly what the other 2 have suggested.

Open an unpaid item claim & 4 days after opening it, if no payment forthcoming, close it as the countessa advised.

That will get you your ebay fees refunded.

You asked what happens to the buyer who does not pay. Absolutely nothing UNLESS you open an unpaid item case against them.

The ebay system doesn't record them as non payers till you do that.

If you're waiting for ebay to automatically step in & do something, forget it. It will only act after the seller does something.

Once you go through the unpaid item process, ebay will give the buyer one strike for non payment. That won't have any effect on them either as far as using ebay goes, but they will get a notification that an unpaid item case has been opened against them. So they will know the seller took action.

The notification will warn them it could affect their account in future & if they then go ahead and fail to pay someone else (who also opens an unpaid case against them) then they will not be banned off ebay or anything but they will find that they can't bid on items from certain sellers. It depends what restrictions the sellers have in place. 

Just make sure you are one of those sellers who automatically blocks bidders who have strikes.

A bidder could potentially bid and not pay a string of sellers and get away with it if none of them bother to open non payment cases.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I add my voice to what has already been said

Nothing at all will happen if you do nothing

Report them for non-payment and put them on your blocked list

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you all for your replies.

It's the first time it has happened to me and it's very frustrating. 

Thanks again

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply