Attention To those with eBay stores

A message to long-term store holders.

Recenrtly the gallery photos on my older listings (approx more than 18 months old) have disappeared from a search.

It amounts to 108 listings with no gallery photos (or 11.4% of my total listings).

I rang ebay and it is 'a known problem' and given the old line 'we are working on it.' I was then told it had a fix timeframe of  January 12th 2016.

So basically 108 liistings (for which I am being charged the monthly listing fee) will have no gallery, will have little hope of being sold and will not be properly visible during the Christmas period (when there would be an increased chance of a sale).

Of course no offer of compensation was offered.

I was told that the temporary recommended fix is for me to reload all of my photos to the 108 listngs (approx 5 photos per listiing) that date from 18-30 months old). I can only imagine how long that would take (and it assume that I've kept every photo 've ever taken).

I wonder if there was a glitch whereby eBay could not receive their monthly seller's fees, if it would take them 2 months (at least) to fix it? I think not!

Anyway if you have older items in your store it might be worth having a look to see if you're affected.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Did you not change your pictures when the new photo Policy came into being?  If not then that would be why you are now having to do it now

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Hi My photos were deemed to be acceptable quality & I did not need to change any photos. All of the photos within the affected listings are still there and displaying properly.  It is just the gallery that is showing as blank. Ebay are saying it is a system fault 'that has corrupted photos' (whatever that means).

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I had a look at quite a few of your listings and the ones where there is no gallery photo, they are all nowhere near the minimum required size. Quite a few of the ones still showing are too small too, so don't be surprised if they disappear soon too. I think in this instance, you don't really have much choice but to redo all your photos so they are at least 500 pixels on one side. The most yours are showing at the moment is 300. Even if eBay "fix" the "glitch", it's not going to fix your problem.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@rocket2retro wrote:

(and it assume that I've kept every photo 've ever taken).

I do that... Smiley Embarassed (Well, now I do Smiley LOL I didn't when I was selling one-off stuff, I just kept them until the item had sold and I was sure there wasn't going to be a return etc). You may already have a system that works well, but in case it helps anyone else, I store my images on an external drive, in one folder that has several sub folders, which themselves have sub folders, and each image is named by item type etc, so all I have to do to find an old image is go to the folder and type a descriptive word or two and check the search results. 

But I started doing that because eBay has intermittently had problems with images ever since I've been selling here, pretty much, and it's a nightmare having to fix it if you have several older listings that require it. 

They have also resized my photos before - back when they changed the size requirements, I started getting notifications about some of my listings, which I thought was highly unusual since at that time 99% of my images were 1000 x 1000 pixels (I do 800 x 800 now, as that seems to be the right size for zoom, and is a bit easier on the memory usage). And yet, when I checked the listings they were talking about, they were 400 x 400 pixels. (I never uploaded an image that small Smiley Frustrated )

Even new listings are experiencing this problem - I listed something 2 days ago and the second image was blank, even though if you mouse-over it you can still use the zoom function. 

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Only 2 months for a fix? They are being very easy on you. I reported them about a huge problem with updated invoices not being processed correctly more than a year ago, I called them regarding other small issues 5 times after that and each time I was reminding them about that big problem. It is still has not been fixed.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

I found an old listing of mine that is not showing when I checked the picture just now it's too small at 300+ x 200+ pixels. I am going to do a revise and increase the picture then I'll see if it shows.
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Ok so I revised the picture to a larger one and it's now showing in gallery view, so it looks like it is the size of your pics that is the problem. I must have missed this one of mine when I did the other 600 odd way back when.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@rocket2retro wrote:

A message to long-term store holders.

Recenrtly the gallery photos on my older listings (approx more than 18 months old) have disappeared from a search.

It amounts to 108 listings with no gallery photos (or 11.4% of my total listings).

I rang ebay and it is 'a known problem' and given the old line 'we are working on it.' I was then told it had a fix timeframe of  January 12th 2016.

So basically 108 liistings (for which I am being charged the monthly listing fee) will have no gallery, will have little hope of being sold and will not be properly visible during the Christmas period (when there would be an increased chance of a sale).

Of course no offer of compensation was offered.

I was told that the temporary recommended fix is for me to reload all of my photos to the 108 listngs (approx 5 photos per listiing) that date from 18-30 months old). I can only imagine how long that would take (and it assume that I've kept every photo 've ever taken).

I wonder if there was a glitch whereby eBay could not receive their monthly seller's fees, if it would take them 2 months (at least) to fix it? I think not!

Anyway if you have older items in your store it might be worth having a look to see if you're affected.

Some of my listings do not show the picture in the selling manager (and also have a negitive view count). They seem to be OK when using ebays search. Sales rates are not huge so I don't really know if the listing/s are stuffed, but they do sell.

It is only the one group I have that are like that, I listed all of them (about 15) at one time ages ago.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@rocket2retro wrote:

(and it assume that I've kept every photo 've ever taken).

I do that... Smiley Embarassed (Well, now I do Smiley LOL I didn't when I was selling one-off stuff, I just kept them until the item had sold and I was sure there wasn't going to be a return etc). You may already have a system that works well, but in case it helps anyone else, I store my images on an external drive, in one folder that has several sub folders, which themselves have sub folders, and each image is named by item type etc, so all I have to do to find an old image is go to the folder and type a descriptive word or two and check the search results. 

I used to delete mine as soon as the item sold......well, after I'd sent it. Now with all the newer things, like 180 day claims, not to mention chargebacks, I now keep them for 12 months. I have 3 folders for eBay. One is just called eBay, which is the folder I upload my new photos to, for editing etc before listing. Another is called eBay current, which is where the photos of current listings are. Then there's eBay sold, which speaks for itself.

I used to have them all in one folder, but when I was uploading new photos, it took a lot of extra time to locate them in a folder that already had 100's of photos in it. Now when I add to the upload folder, I can find them at a glance to edit and when I'm listing, I just start at the top. As each item is listed, those photos get moved to the other folder. That means the next item I want to list, the photos are at the top.

So far I don't think any of my gallery photos aren't showing, but I might log out and go check. Some have been relisting for quite a long time, so I guess it's possible eBay has resized them on me.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply