Auspost "two speed rate" shonky and badly thought out .. (RANT)

x3n0m
Community Member

The Auspost CEO (Ahmed Fahour) is currently lobbying the federal government to approve a two speed rate on domestic letter articles .. the preposition is that Auspost letter deliveries are not profitable for auspost and the proposal before government is for auspost to impose a premium rate to continue to deliver letter items at their current glacially slow rate; an increase of over 40% from 70cent per stamp to $1 per stamp for a continuation of the current choppy haphazard service .. to appease government the hypnotically convincing CEO suggests to maintain a 70cent rate (the current cost) but that will be regarded as a non premium (slow service) and the intention is that auspost will deliberatety delay those letter items by 3 days to a week thus rendering the service on that lower rate as third class .. the proposal is this two speed system will be run concurrently with Ausposts express post service which also has a letter rate ..

obviously this proposal/proposition by the auppost CEO is devious and counter productive as the postie will obviously be delivering mail on a daily basis as they always have but will be deliberately slowing the letter delivery of those who choose not to pay the additional 40% premium rate .. this double standard double shuffle is supposedly meant to deliver auspost a windfall and the Auspost principles and contractors have already been brainwashed to embrace and spruik this diabolically contrived system as are being starved for revenue by their CEO and the promise is that they will all be flush with cash when this contrived double shuffle swindle comes to fruition in September of 2015. The aupost employees really have no idea of the pain this will bring them in reduced sales and takeup of the higher rates just like when auspost incresed registered postage costs all the way from beneath $2 to the current wildlly complicated system (which averages about $3.95 per single item) without actually increasing the insurance rate (another bogus money-grab) and the current cost of a money order which hovers around $8 is obviously unpallatable in the extreme and is basically a dead product due to the extravagent pricing .. those are just 2 examples and there is more dead products in the works .. obviously the use of those auspost products has reduced to subnormally low levels and I indicate my belief is that price hikes of this kind will actually further damage to Aupsosts revenues .. like what is wrong withg simply increasing the price of a stamp by 5-10 cents or indexing to the Australian inflation rate .. a two speed system is just sloppy and being so badly thought out will in all liklihood actually further damage this very important public utility .. I believe that the intention is to cripple auspost so our giovernment is forced to accept lobbyist proposals to break up or sell off auspost to the highest bidder ..

This same CEO has also apparetly been loobying government to split auspost up and sell parts off and at one point there was a proposal before government to sell the whole business off thus fully privatising it .. the rumour mill went crazy when ebay apparently put in a 1 Billion dollar bid to buy Auspost in its entirity which was considered a lowball offer and thankfully rejected .. the fact that auspost (the countries largest carrier) is now running a secondary internal/external seperate business called "startrack express" further complicates and muddies the waters of where the money is going and call me cynical but this just looks to me like transferal of revenue and tax dodging and profiteering and a sneaky way of breaking up the company as obviously startrack express is a new auspost product which can be spun off and its expensive aquistion coincides with a radical dropoff in profits for aupost which the ceo is blaming on letter delivery which lets face it if auspost can't do that efficiently in this modern age of robots and letter sorting and automation then one must ask what is going on? .. aupsost only recently completed 100% aquistion of startrack express when they bought out qantas of their 50% share in this oddball company ..

to make matters worse as ausposts revenues plummet the Auspost CEO regularly gets his wages increased via some type of inverse performance paramaters and this glorified public servant who is known to announce radical restructures and intentions first to the American chamber of commerce (who is his real boss?) before even aupost employees hear of the upcoming changes and is now remunerated at 4 Milion Dollars per annum from $1 million per annum 10 years back which to put it into perspective his new pay rate is 4 times the pay rate of the $1 Million per annum we pay the Australian Prime Minister .. what do you think? Does Auspost and their CEO smell like roses or is it just more corporate stink?

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Auspost "two speed rate" shonky and badly thought out .. (RANT)

"The example I gave was for a large letter up to 250g so my point still stands."

Hopefully Phorum Junkie my point about standard letter rate is not what you call 1st class rate in the UK “stands” .. that service you are comparing to Ausposts standard letter rate is roundly equivalent to the Australian express post service which is stonkingly more expensive here in Australia than in england!!

So if you care to do a little factcheck PJ and comparison between 1st class Royal MAil and Expresss postage rates in Australia you will find that the prices we are currently paying in Australia for express postage is approximately 4-5 times higher than in england!! .. so it looks like you are exaggerating .. or perhaps mistaken.. What you call 1st class rate in England will be approximately what Australians may be paying for the current standard letter rate service in Australia after September 2015 if the auspost CEO gets to have his way with us .. If you would like to compare the Royal Mail 1st class rate with what we pay in Australia for express postage rate please educate yourself.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

First class postage  in the UK is not an express service, there are express services but they are very much more expensive.  Of course letters get delivered quicker in the UK, you can fit it in a small corner of QLD which is why one would expect AP to charge more because of the vast distances some letters have to travel. The cost of postage is one of the reasons I no longer sell for the half of the year I am in the UK but continue to sell while in Australia. The other reasons are that both the ebay and Paypal fees are more expensive in the UK.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

1st Class mail offers a fast, cost-effective, UK-wide delivery service for letters weighing up to 750g that aims to deliver your item the next working day, including Saturdays.

Aims to deliver the next working day including Saturdays
Fast UK-wide delivery for letters up to 750g
Up to £20 compensation cover for loss or damage

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/first-class-letters

In Australia we call this service Express Postage

you say "there are express services but they are very much more expensive."

Here is another service that royal mail offers :

Royal Mail Special Delivery Service guarantees next day delivery for valuable items. Get your money back if your letter or parcel doesn't arrive ...

Auspost does not offer that service .. some freight comapanies do in Australia and is called overnight express but from memory (out of oriface) is over $60 for a very evry small satchel/large-envelope etc etc

Please provide a link to the Royal Mail express postage service you mentioned ..

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

Ok Life is what it is and we will never change it...Governments rely on people dying so as every story will eventually die off. 35 years ago I came to Australia and a Schooner of beer was 15 cents, Petrol was 29 cents a litre, Cigarettes were 75 cents for 20 and so on. Wages was around $200 a week for the normal working person.

Government decided to increase Petrol, Beer, Cigarettes and more by so much % each 6 months Indexation because they knew the people at the time would eventually die off and the next generation will just accept it as they do not know any different. So AP are doing exactly the same as the governments did in the 1980's. Life is a fact complain, complain but nothing will change and we will all die eventually.

My 2 Bob's Worth

That's Life Lets Move On.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

You have mentioned it yourself, that is the only service that guarantees next day delivery, RM aim to deliver next day for first class post much in the same way AP aim to deliver a parcel in 3-6 days. The thing they both have in commoon is that very often their aim is not straight!

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

Ok Life is what it is and we will never change it ..

That sounds like a challenge for "we"  ..

That's Life Lets Move On.

No // lol .. NO way .. not just yet

complain but nothing will change and we will all die eventually.

Do you know all this for fact? // lol ..

and this;

You better not be playing apologist here .. just saying .. have you heard of the vampire apocolypse? .. I don't want to go there again ..

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

The thing they both have in commoon is that very often their aim is not straight!

.. from what I can judge they are not flying straight .. lol .. but will leave all that for another day .. nighty nite

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply