Aussies are spending big shopping on social media 16 Billion dollars

apparently 16 BILLION DOLLARS spent on social media - wonder how ebay will factor this into their business model - will we be seeing facebay or ebayagram soon?

I know selling on these platforms is going gangbusters for sellers so much so that people like me have given up on here

https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/consumer/2019/10/02/aussies-spend-big-on-social-media/

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Aussies are spending big shopping on social media 16 Billion dollars

The amount is on the item when you click on it  and they get paid if it turns into a sale. I would think they would work like a shopping centre which knows what each shop turnsover so they can charge more rent. Ebay knows what each of us sells. Theres programs that will allow you to see what other sellers have sold over the last 12 months on ebay.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

Interesting Post.   I have made $65.00 this weekend on Gumtree.  Just $15.00 on ebay on another id.  The items sold on Gumtree were also listed on ebay for the same price plus post.  Whilst everyone dumps on Gumtree it does speak for itself at times.  Facebook Marketplace I have not yet tried, been so busy listing on ebay hoping that I may chance a sale.  

Thanks foreveryones thoughts.  Need to look at facebook marketplace and learn its ways.  Ebay can have a rest for a few days.

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

I see facebook suiting a brand or type of product for larger companys that try to get a following for their product. Not sure how it would go for small sellers unless you could target a specific buyers or groups . Ebay I find easy as they have the buyers you just need to work out how best to get your item closest to the top of the search.

I have purchased a car on Gumtree and that is about it as I prefer buying on ebay although searching is getting harder with items that don't even have the same words showing up in results.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

It does seem that Marketplace is full of many items than can or could be sold on ebay.  The prices seem a little high in most cases, the photos are not that good, and yes, probably would help to join a buy/sell group in your and adjoining areas.  Still not convinced but I shall give it a go.  I sell in Gumtree for a fair price and rarely have anyone low ball me, shall try the same in Marketplace, who knows nothing to lose.  Nothing happening in ebay, never known it to be this bad.  Something has changed in the buyers market.  Maybe money shortages, maybe ebay has lost its place in peoples minds.  For me it is simple - ebay go back to what made you a household name, we don't need to buy Vegemite here.  Maybe I am wrong.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

Yes, the ING research which turned up the 16 billion figure is a bit vague and no mention of their actual data source except this quote at the end of the press release:

This survey was commissioned by ING and conducted by YouGov in September 2019. The sample comprises 1,084 Australians aged 18+ years distributed throughout Australia.

If 1,084 buyers led them to 16 billion dollars, the mathematics are even more vague and I doubt Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Snapchat and Pinterest would be releasing sales figures publically. Maybe they should of asked Gerry Harvey.
Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

Whatever.  16 billion is a lot of money, wonder how much came ebay's way.  Certainly not my way.

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

I didn't see that bit but if they based it on what 1,084 buyers said I'd take the whole thing with a grain of salt. I have no doubt a LOT gets sold through facebook though.
Message 27 of 27
Latest reply