Aust Post not accepting parels to overseas

Hello - Aust Post is not accepting parcels to many overseas countries due to Covid delays.

My buyer in Canada is happy to wait till late Jan for me to ship.

What do I do to avoid the sale being cancelled? Thanks

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mail to Canada is notoriously slow, even pre covid times. If it were me, I'd cancel the sale, stating problem with buyers address, then block Canada (and a multitude of other countries), before relisting the item. Pre covid, it was nothing for a parcel to take 6 plus weeks to even hit the border. Absolutely not worth trying to post to Canada, any time.

If you choose to continue with the sale, then as others have said, you risk a defect on your account, which could do great damage. Plus, the buyer could easily open up a dispute within hours of you eventually posting. They will get a full refund, and get to keep the item when it eventually arrives. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it if that happens.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

You can certainly ship in late Jan (assuming that flights are back on), but you will possibly incur a defect for late shipping. I'm not exactly sure if this will have a wider impact on your account if it is a one off, but more importantly, you will lose your seller protection which applies when a seller ships within their handling time and with a valid tracking method. Should the buyer open a case, it may not fall in your favour.

On a side note - you're offering shipping almost worldwide, when in fact there are dozens of countries that are currently suspended. If you plan on selling anything else, it would be better to make a very narrow group of countries that are viable and stick to those.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Send your parcel on Friday 24 December?

Express, Standard and Economy Air parcel services to Canada will be suspended from 10 to 23 December 2021, due to limited flight capacity. 

Items sent prior to 10 December will still be delivered though delays should be expected.  We expect to resume delivery to Canada on 24 December 2021 and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Mail to Canada is notoriously slow, even pre covid times. If it were me, I'd cancel the sale, stating problem with buyers address, then block Canada (and a multitude of other countries), before relisting the item. Pre covid, it was nothing for a parcel to take 6 plus weeks to even hit the border. Absolutely not worth trying to post to Canada, any time.

If you choose to continue with the sale, then as others have said, you risk a defect on your account, which could do great damage. Plus, the buyer could easily open up a dispute within hours of you eventually posting. They will get a full refund, and get to keep the item when it eventually arrives. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it if that happens.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

I think if I were the buyer - and I have already indicated that I am happy to wait until January for the seller to post - I would be seriously miffed if the seller cancelled my order.  

Maybe if the seller posts as soon as possible, some things may work out  - the ebay protection is supposed to apply if there is an official problem with postage delay - and a defect if given may be appealed if the seller remembers to save the Aust Post notification and the email from the seller giving consent to late postage?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

PS:   in fact, I would prepare my parcel through Aust Post website and obtain a tracking number - make sure the tracking number shows against your item - then I would contact the seller again and say something like, I have prepared your item for shipping and here is the tracking no,  as you know Aust Post have suspended services temporarily to Canada, but as soon as they re-open, your parcel will be on its way.

And I would rely on ebays protection policy: 

Severe weather, natural disaster or carrier disruptions caused an item to arrive late

We automatically adjust your late shipment rate, remove cancelled transaction defects and remove negative and neutral Feedback when:

•   Your shipment was affected by delivery delays caused by weather, a natural disaster or other disruptions to carrier services. These may be listed on eBay Announcements .
Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Yeah, and we all know how diligent ebay are when sticking to their policies. I wouldn't trust them one bit.

Chances are the buyer is honest, but many aren't and could be using this as a way to get a free item by rorting the system. The instant the ETA arrives, bang, dispute and there's absolutely zero the OP can do about it.

Even if the OP generated a tracking number, the buyer can still open a dispute when the original ETA arrives. And they will win because the tracking doesn't show as delivered. The OP has sold a few pricey items lately, I wouldn't want to lose that money and lose the item because a buyer sounded genuine and was happy to wait, when in fact there was a chance they could have just been trying out for a freebie.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Send it via Fedex, 4 days from Perth --> Canada

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply