Australia post- qualifying for mybusiness discount using own packaging

Hi all,

I have been using ebay for years and only recently signed up for mypost business. I understand I need to send 8 packages over 8 weeks to qualify, but I am worried that my parcels don't qualify as I use my own packaging.

The website doesn't state own packaging, but hoping it falls under domestic parcel category

https://auspost.com.au/mypost-business

Thanks for reading and your advice 

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Australia post- qualifying for mybusiness discount using own packaging

I use all of my own packaging and receive level 3 discounts. I just present a bar code ( square thing )  I have had laminated like a credit card to be scanned by AP staff and the discount is applied automatically at time of postage. Its over the counter though, not through a mail box.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

It doesn't go by packaging, rather by whether or not you buy tracked postage. I use my own plain white satchels and it's never been an issue. 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

My Post Business, does allow you to choose  OWN packaging or AP options, discounts apply to all parcels worldwide, with rates dependant on your discount level and the destination

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@rescuemore wrote:

Hi all,

I have been using ebay for years and only recently signed up for mypost business. I understand I need to send 8 packages over 8 weeks to qualify, but I am worried that my parcels don't qualify as I use my own packaging.

As pointed out by other posters,  the 8 packages requirement is based on the number of Aust Post labels you print, so you still qualify using your own packaging.  I assume you are going to print your own labels?     Of if not, using the code you are given, you can just lodge parccels over the counter and get the staff to do the work.

Just want to point out that with 500g parcels, it doesn't matter much about your own packaging.   However it is when you have heavier items that the Aust Post satchels and boxes come into play more, as it is less expensive at the flat rate.     The small satchel will take up to 5kg and still only costs from $8.24 if you are on Band 1 (plus small cost of say 20c for the satchel).

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

When you log into MyPost Business, go to Send & Save in the left hand menu, then scroll down a little & you will see Download Postage Rates and Postcode Guide.  Click on that & a PDF opens with all the postage rates including using your own packaging.  As it has already been stated  own packaging rates are the same as AP rates.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

As pointed out by other posters, the 8 packages requirement is based on the number of Aust Post labels you print,

Is this right? Sorry just working on a company website and sorting AP/Carrier charges, they won't be using labels, and according to the AP business page it doesn't matter - they still qualify for discounts for large volume.

Is the label thing just an eBay requirement for discounts?

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

As pointed out by other posters, the 8 packages requirement is based on the number of Aust Post labels you print,

Is this right? Sorry just working on a company website and sorting AP/Carrier charges, they won't be using labels, and according to the AP business page it doesn't matter - they still qualify for discounts for large volume.

No sorry, I was just trying to make it simpler for the OP who won't be doing that kind of volume.   I was trying to point out how to calculate the 8 parcels to gain the discount.   And I always use the Aust Post site, not the ebay labels.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

yep your own packaging is fine make sure you link your ebay direct to aus post so you import from the aus post site rather then just inputing the info onto aus post this way you get the ebay discount then aus post discount on top i post 5 kg  $7.35 rather than the ebay price of almost 10 then you get charged another 10% in final value on top of that

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

No. It is an AP MYPost thing. If not using labels, they will be scanning their QR code on lodgement. Although it's unlikely a business would be using such a clunky method, so I suspect you are hypothesising.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply