Blocking buyers - what if they changed their account name?

If I added a buyer into my block list, would the buyer be able to change their account name and then bypass the block?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I'm not sure about changing an account name (one would assume it would still block but this is ebay remember).

I have heard about buyers using another account and getting around blocks, all the same address info and everything. I think there should be a post about it, from memory the seller contacted ebay about it and they wouldn't do anything, basically telling the seller that they had to send the item.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

I understand that you'd have to use another ID to get around buyer blocks.

Changing your a/c name won't work.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

@dave4110 wrote:

If I added a buyer into my block list, would the buyer be able to change their account name and then bypass the block?

If I have a member on my Blocked Bidder List and they change their user ID then my list automatically updates that user's ID on my BBL.

It is against eBay policy to use another eBay account to circumvent a seller's blocks.  If a buyer is on your BBL and they use another ID to buy from you you would be within your rights to refuse to deal with them.  It might take some doing, but pointing eBay reps to the relevant eBay policy usually does the trick.

This is the relevant eBay page (I have attached a screengrab from the page as well)

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/buy/bidding-overview.html

BBL.JPG

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

What is in the policy and what actually happens are completely different things. Do they mean a buyers isn't allowed to bid or is it not possible (using a new account)? Ebays system should be cross referencing address details and IP and all the rest to stop it from happening.

I don't keep records of my buyers details (it is actually against policy to do so also) so I have no way of knowing if such a thing has occured.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

@dylan11235813 wrote:

What is in the policy and what actually happens are completely different things. Do they mean a buyers isn't allowed to bid or is it not possible (using a new account)? Ebays system should be cross referencing address details and IP and all the rest to stop it from happening.

I don't keep records of my buyers details (it is actually against policy to do so also) so I have no way of knowing if such a thing has occured.

I agree about what is policy and what actually happens, which is why it is important to be able to point to the specific policy when things go wrong. An eBay rep can't argue with you if you point to the specific policy showing that a buyer has broken policy.  If it gets to the point of having to phone eBay and the rep you are speaking does not take note of the policy being broken you simply ask for a supervisor.  An eBay rep is less likely to argue with you if you point to the specific policy showing that a buyer has broken policy.

It would be great if the eBay system could cross-reference the particulars of buyers on your BBL, but it can't.

It is not against eBay policy to keep records of your buyers details.  They can't stop you, BUT, it is against eBay policy to keep records and send unsolicited messages/emails.

eBay can't stop you from keeping a register of your buyers for record keeping purposes.  I do.  Many sellers keep a postage register.  I keep all of my eBay Your item sold emails as well as the PayPal payment advice emails.  If I thought a Blocked Bidder had used another ID and that their name and address seemed familiar all I would need to do is a search of my emails.  This wouldn't take long as yahoo and hotmail have an inbuilt search feature.  eBay policy could never stop me from keeping my emails.

The times that I would suspect a blocked buyer using another ID is when I actually have someone unsuccessfully bid/buy an item and then I get another bid from a different ID soon after.  I do not inform members on my BBL that they are on my BBL, so they would not find out unless they tried to bud/buy.

Spoiler
There are some members who would know they are on my BBL, but I don't keep other lists like some Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

dave4110 wrote:

If I have a member on my Blocked Bidder List and they change their user ID then my list automatically updates that user's ID on my BBL.

It is against eBay policy to use another eBay account to circumvent a seller's blocks.  If a buyer is on your BBL and they use another ID to buy from you you would be within your rights to refuse to deal with them.  It might take some doing, but pointing eBay reps to the relevant eBay policy usually does the trick.

That is not my experience........a buyer bought from myself and another seller gave us both negative and a neutral we both blocked him. To our horror he changed his ID and was ablr to purchase from both of us again. When I contacted ebay and explained what happened and why he was blocked I was told to treat it as any other sale and complete the transaction.

That was even after pointing out the policy to them

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

keep asking for a more senior person and point to eBay policy until you get high enough up the chain to be listened to.  If the supervisor parrots the same BS then ask for their supervisor and so on.

I once phoned eBay and got a 'drone' response, asked for a supervisor, got the same old, asked for their supervisor and was told they were not available so I requested that they call me when they are available.  Only had to wait 5 minutes for the callback, and got it sorted in two minutes.

Same thing works for PayPal, just stick to your guns and point them to the policy that has been breached.  I think they rely on wearing you down when you call.  Once they realise you will not go away, and have policy on your side, they listen.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

I do recall reading some policy about storing user information but I think you are correct in that it stated something about the use of it (Sending SPAM to anyone is illegal in Australia as many would know anyway).

The thing is even though the records are there, there is no easy way to identify if it has happend. I don't block many people and have thought about making a list of the people I block but there are so few I just don't bother.

If something does happen I do tend to search all the ebay and paypal records for any matching info, but that is if there was a problem on the second time round. The main reason I block someone is I just don't want to deal with them anymore regardless of wether the other orders went well.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

I feel for sellers who have thousands of transactions (or more) per year as it would be very difficult to recognise a name or address of a previous problem buyer who may have used another ID to buy again.  For casual sellers like myself it is not a problem (also helps having an OCD memory).

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply