Brand NEW buyers

Well, we were warned when we started, 'Don't sell to new buyers', but we thought that was unfair as everyone has to start somewhere.

We've only had a handful, but each one has been problematic. I notice they appear young too.

One at the moment is a classic. 'Burnouts' in new pipes? Anyone who knows just a little about pipes knows this can happen in only one way and that is by allowing the pipe to become way too hot, exceedingly hand burning hot, during the break in process. Or, they have otherwise subscribed to the urban myth of breaking in a new pipe by hanging it, lighted, outside the window of a car travelling at say 30 miles per hour. That is one sure fire (no pun intended) way of scorching and blackening the heel of a new pipe, and that is exactly what has happened in this case. The pics are very clear. And, it's over such a large area - the complete heel of the pipe.

This is what we are dealing with, although we have not put this to the buyer, or otherwise suggested any fault on their part. Pointless in the beginning because it straight away creates confrontation. It has prompted me though, to be explicit with breaking in instructions with future dispatches. Things get so wordy though, in trying to cover 'all the bases.'

Anyway, we've offered one of two others, more expensive, that we have of the same brand, but not the same model, as replacements. No extra cost to the buyer.  They are both substantially more attractive, at least to me. The buyer refused. He wants the same. I've explained that being a vintage, but still new pipe, I can't replace it. I reiterated my offer of one of the two more expensive pipes and the alternative of a full refund. Answer, 'I want what I bought replaced.' I've not responded as yet. Giorgy and Barry both tell me I'm being way too soft and to hit him between the eyes with what's he's done, but what's that going to prove?

I can see some 'red' coming in from this buyer, even though we are 'bending over for Rover.'

I really hate it, but I think after this we're going to become another one of 'those sellers' who won't sell to newbies.

Suggestions appreciated.

Melina (fretting again)

Message 1 of 42
Latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Brand NEW buyers

Im always happy to deal with new Customers / Buyers. 

Ive never had many problems with them at all . I treat everyone the same whether they are a 0 feedback or 5000+ and buy a $5 item or a $1000 one. Treat them with respect and as though they are all an important customer , which of course they are , sometimes they need talking through certain steps and a bit of cuddling to get their confidence and understanding up to speed. 

What ive found over the years is that newbie buyers that have a great 1st up experience with you will always come back later on.

Dont Change your Price , Change your Customer
Message 41 of 42
Latest reply

Brand NEW buyers

Hi Aussie, I really appreciate your response and advice, but unfortunately none of it applies to my case in point. Our customers get all of that, and more.

It's rare for us to have any sort of issue, because we do inform, we do answer well, and maintain close contact, but when we do strike an issue the common denominator (so far) seems to be new buyers. It goes a bit beyond coincidence.

Gross stupidity is another matter altogether, and I concur, it can happen with seasoned buyers as well as new buyers. This event just happened to be the catalyst - the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak. And, the last thing we want to do is punish all, for the sake of a few, but?

But look, it's all sorted now. I've followed the advice of people here that I trust, who do know what they're talking about,  and I feel much better for it. The buyer, at least for the time being, has withdrawn completely. I think, and I hope I'm correct, the issue of wrong-doing has sunk in. No exchange and no refund.

The next we hear about it may be coloured red, but I'm not concerned with that now either, and that doesn't mean I don't care, because I do, a lot. But, getting things into proper perspective with the help of other sellers who are emotionally removed from the issue, gave us the 'right and proper' way forward, regardless.

It's only a very small thing in the big picture, really. I'm just pleased there are others here who understand, perhaps not so small to a reasonably new player in a very new (to us anyway) eBay environment.

It's all done Aussie - over 🙂

Melina.

Message 42 of 42
Latest reply