Buyer Claiming Item Faulty and Wants Return

Hello,

I have an issue where a buyer is requesting a refund claiming that the item is faulty, however I feel that the buyer is being completely dishonest, due to the following events that transpired:

Before winning the item, this buyer requested to cancel their bids within the last 2 hours of an auction, and gave me a story about how they could not afford to buy it and made a mistake. I realise that it is against eBay policy for the customer to request this, as it's within 24 hours of the aution ending, and they're contractually obligied to follow through. However, I felt for the customer and cancelled their bids, and let them know I helped them out.

Within the last hour this same buyer bids on the item again! They message me and tell say they are helping me bring the price of item back up where it was, so that I wouldn't lose out. I realise this is shill bidding, but I never asked or wanted it!

Then the buyer bids a couple more times ends up winning the item. On check-out the buyer sends a message along the lines of "I couldn't resist... I'll find the money". Despite the mess around and potenital loss of earnings, due to the confusion it may have caused to others that were bidding, he paid for the item via PayPal, and I accepted that he won the auction and sent the item to him. 

The buyer is now claiming that the item is faulty (it's a wireless guitar transmitter/receiever). I am not convinced that the buyer is being truthful as the item worked before I sent it and was in excellent condition. I feel it's a case of buyers remose, and the customer is making up a story about the item being faulty. What's worse is, if I accept the return, what if they pruposely sabotage the item? 

I told them how I felt, and my point of view, however they want to open a case. Reading other posts, I feel that I am powerless in this scenario. Is there anythign I can do? What's my best course of action?

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Too late now but you should have added them to your blocked bidder list as soon as they asked you to cancel their bids.

Your chances of winning a claim are nil to zero so best just to ask them to return the item and you will give them a refund as soon as you get it back.

They may not realise that if they started a claim you would have to pay for the return post so it would be better for you if they just send it and you refund.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

This is one of the downsides of selling on ebay.

You will only get a few options if they open a formal case against you. None of which you will like.

1). Negotiate a partial refund with your buyer and they keep the item.

2). Fully refund and they get to keep the item

3). Agree to the return and you will have to pay the return postage costs. Then refund when you have the item back They have to return using a fully tracked postal service.

As you say they could sabbotage the item.

They could send back a different item they had that was not working just so they can get their old item replaced for free.

They could send back a bag of sand of about the same weight.

Unfortunately ebay are most likely to believe whatever the buyer says in these cases so be prepared for anything here.

If they do return the item make sure you have a credible witness present when you open the package who would be prepared to sign a stat dec.

Did you record/photograph the item serial number at all?

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply. I never thought about taking down the serial number, unfortunately.

Looks like I don't have a leg to stand on, so I accepted a return from the buyer. I will also take note to have a witness present while opening the package (I might even video record it!).
Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

There's a serial number on your last photo.

Is that attached to the unit,  for id purposes?

Always keep a photo of the serial number, especially when selling musical equipment.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Looks like just the adaptor serial #

Which can be detached from the unit.

I have a feeling the buyer never had a clue how to use it and not to look stupid said it's faulty lol.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@blueskyhigh1 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I never thought about taking down the serial number, unfortunately.

Looks like I don't have a leg to stand on, so I accepted a return from the buyer. I will also take note to have a witness present while opening the package (I might even video record it!).

If I was selling serial numbered items (which I don't) I would actually deliberately include a photo on the listing showing the serial number. This way it is publicly recorded and both ebay and a buyer can see it.

If at any time they chose to pull a swifty and return a different (broken) one you may at least have some chance to defend yourself.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Great advice for next time around - appreciate the time you've taken to explain.
Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Recent development:

I received the item back, and it isn’t working properly. However, the buyers story isn't adding up as there's more wrong with it than they said.

To explain, this item is made up of:

1. Transmitter
  2. Receiver
  3. Power adapter

In their return request, they said: "...the Audio light at the guitar end (transmitter) doesn’t t light up..." 

While I discovered this is correct, I never encountered this problem. The receiver also doesn't establish a connection with the transmitter, as it did when I sold it; this is indicated by a green status bar on the receiver.

So, there are now X2 problems:

1. The audio light on the transmitter doesn't light up (as they mentioned); which would normally indicate that a guitar is plugged in and it can 'hear' it, and

1. The transmitter or the receiver aren't talking to each other - as a connection cannot be established, indicated by the status bar on the receiver. This does not relate to the problem in point 1 as they are separate issues. 

The photo's in my auction show that a connection has been established and the status bars are full.

I inspected the condition of the all items thoroughly, comparing it to the pictures in my auction, and there are new scratches on the front of the receiver that weren't there before. Picture attached for refernce

This can be evidenced by a video that I took when unboxing the item when it was posted back.

So, the possible scenarios could be:

1. The transmitter was damaged by the buyer, or most likely has been swapped out for a broken one.
  2. The receiver was damaged by the buyer, and the transmitter was swapped out.
  3. The receiver is fine (despite having a new scratch), and the transmitter was swapped out.

I do believe it is the same receiver though, as other small marks that were in my photos are still there, however the noticeable scratch on the front wasn’t there.

Finally, the buyers wording in the return request was "...the unit worked initially and then stopped transmitting...". Therefore, nothing is adding up.

The new scratch on the receiver,

the problem with the audio light on the transmitter, and

the problem with the receiver not seeing the transmitter.

I'm at a loss, and I have asked 2 work colleagues, who were with me testing the item and believe that the transmitter was swapped out. and the receiver was damaged.

I'm at a loss - what can I do...?

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

further developments below...
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply