Buyer bids with one second to go now want to cancel. 1 minute after auction. What road to take.

OK my first time im not sure what road to go down.

I just had an auction finish and a bid is placed with 1 sec to go and wins.  1 minute later a message from the buyer saying this,

"Hello, am i able to retract my bid as i tried to an my internet went down on me"

Now there not new to eBay and have feedback of over 800 so they should no that with less than 12 hrs to go thats impossible. They have average feedback and yes I have added them to my blocked list now.

My question is simple should I let them of with a mutually agree to end transaction or do i wait 4 days and start a UPI case and risk a bad feedback.  If I just do a mutually to agree it seems like they are getting of to light when they must have known what they were doing at that time. That sort of sits bad in my gut. But if I do let them cancel I dont have to wait and can relist straight away.

Also I have made a second chance offer to the next bidder and they are keen. What road would you guys go down. ?.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Buyer bids with one second to go now want to cancel. 1 minute after auction. What road to take.

If you mutually agree to cancel they can leave still bad feedback if they wish. If you go through the UID they cannot leave feedback. I would cancel just to get it over and done with as you have another buyer. Just explain to the original buyer that you can't retract their bid as they won it but you can send a mutual cancellation they will have to agree to.
Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Re: Buyer bids with one second to go now want to cancel. 1 minute after auction. What road to take.

If you wait 4 days and open a UPI case and it is closed 4 days later without payment the buyer is not able to leave feedback - so you're not risking bad feedback by doing that.  With a mutual cancellation both of you are still able to leave feedback.

On the other hand, if the second chance offer seems keen to buy then the mutual cancellation might be the way to go - in this situation I think I'd go for the cancellation even though I quite agree with you that as an experienced  eBayer the winning bidder must have been aware of what he was doing and it doesn't make any sense.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Yes slight problem there if I open a upi dispute and then they pay they then can leave neg feedback as a seller no matter what I can only leave positive feedback.   Like I said the other guy has said now he wants it as well but if this first buyer all of a sudden decides they will take it I will be in a right pickle now wont I.

My point is the original buyer has emailed wanting to retract there bid in other words they do not want it.  Now I have offered it to the second place bidder who has accepted who would you be honourable to as Im now in a position of having to offer a Mutually agree to end and if they refuse what weight in an arguement with ebay does there email asking to cancel retract or what other word you would like to use which simply means they no longer want the item.

Buy the way its a great item and really sorry to see it go but im old now and its time to get rid of things as I simply can not take them with me.

It just feels un fair that I might be the loser twice in this transaction simply because of someone else who should no better.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

I no what I will do I was just woundering if it is the right thing to do that's all. I will certainly make sure the guy who took the second chance offer gets what he paid for he showed loyalty to me I certainly will do the same for him. As for the other buyer who seems very distant as will not even reply now, I will open a case and if they pay I will refund and say it is no longer available and take the feedback on the chin, If they do not pay I'm in the clear. If they pay I will refund and say it is no longer available and request ebay to remove any unfair feedback due to the buyer asking for there bid to be retracted. Other wise I will have to cop a bad feedback I guess.
Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Your right it doesn't make any sense, I do not understand how someone with over 800 feedback can make a bid 1 sec to go and then claim they tried to retract it and email me 1 minute after the auction saying there internet went down. What 1 sec to make a bid retraction I don't think so and they must know you can not retract bids with less than 12hrs to go. All I can think of is maybe they had a auto bid in place and couldn't cancel it.? But Im not going to try and second guess I simply do not no.
Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

@1sweetap6v8 wrote:
I no what I will do I was just woundering if it is the right thing to do that's all. I will certainly make sure the guy who took the second chance offer gets what he paid for he showed loyalty to me I certainly will do the same for him. As for the other buyer who seems very distant as will not even reply now, I will open a case and if they pay I will refund and say it is no longer available and take the feedback on the chin, If they do not pay I'm in the clear. If they pay I will refund and say it is no longer available and request ebay to remove any unfair feedback due to the buyer asking for there bid to be retracted. Other wise I will have to cop a bad feedback I guess.

I've kudod you but I want to explain

I can't encourage you to break procedure or policy, that would be wrong of me.

but lets just say, I hope they don't pay so that you are not at risk of bad feedback. and that your loyal bidder is stoked with the service you provide if ya get my drift..

*fingers crossed for you*

one downside if they pay and then you refund is you wont get your FVF's back, will you? (I assume you will get recharged them for the 2nd chance offer?) so I hope the item wasn't too expensive.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

I have the same concerns but have a solution, I can get another one it just may take a couple days so If need be I will just supply both parties. Obviously I will have to pay extra for the second one as its not mine but it will still pay the fees and a bit left over so that's not a problem. The problem at the moment is the first buyer isn't even responding now after they sent the first message. So I really don't think they will want it but if they do I can get one. So that being so I will wait 4 days if they have not got back to me in that time and agree to a mutual cancel transaction I will just open a case and they can either get a strike or purchase there item. I mean what else should I do let a perfectly legitimate customer go just because a person wants to play games on ebay. I don't think that is right at all. I and I believe because I have there email and ebay have it to, which confirm its genuine I should have every right to sell it to the next highest bidder not wait until they decide to get around to replying as the proof they did not want it is in the email in the first place. But anyway just wanted to know what you all would do.

My only option I see is to be loyal to the guy who accepted the second chance offer , Then if the first buyer wants to make things hard and does not want to do a mutually agree to end transaction even though they have asked to I will just buy the other one and send it to them and if I do not hear back I will open a case so as not to cop FVF fees twice. I feel there is no other option. And it covers my position adequately.
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

@1sweetap6v8 wrote:
Your right it doesn't make any sense, I do not understand how someone with over 800 feedback can make a bid 1 sec to go and then claim they tried to retract it and email me 1 minute after the auction saying there internet went down. What 1 sec to make a bid retraction I don't think so and they must know you can not retract bids with less than 12hrs to go. All I can think of is maybe they had a auto bid in place and couldn't cancel it.? But Im not going to try and second guess I simply do not no.

The whole thing makes more sense if the buyer was using a snipe service to place the bid....you can cancel the bid or change it at any time as it is not ebay...the ebay rules of retracting bids do not apply.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Why do you need to get another item, the original buyer doesn't want it if they asked for a bid retraction? If you p*ss off the original buyer by opening a UID then you do risk them paying for it and leaving bad feedback. If it were me I would just cancel the transaction sell it to the under bidder. Everybody happy. Oh if they don't answer the cancellation request it will automatically close after 4 days anyway.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply