Buyer disappears overseas?

Here's one I have never had. I sent an incorrect item to a zero feedback buyer, so I said I will send a return postage voucher and he can send it back and get a refund. I asked if he would take a partial refund if the item he got was any good to him, but he basically wanted it for free, and wanted a refund of around 90% of the total price, so I continued with the return process. Ebay sent him the return postage, but now the buyer wants $45 more to send the item back to me because he has moved to Singapore! (That's on top of the postage voucher for Australian postage he was already sent). Then he went on to say that "the best thing would be to refund $X , and let me keep the item",  which meant I made less than $5 on a $72 sale,  and if I didn't , he was  going to "trash your reputation as a seller, for obviously sending the incorrect item".

I reckon he is still in Australia, but is trying it on. I think I read somewhere that the item has to be returned and have the buyer's original address as the return address, otherwise the return is not valid.

I have told Ebay about this bloke, and his emails, but heard nothing back. Am I scewed ?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer disappears overseas?

You can live with a neg - most sellers get them sooner or later.

The main thing is how you respond to it. Write a courteous response that FUTURE buyers will read and understand.

Stop communicating with Ebay (their CS is mostly useless), as well as the customer.

Just wait and see if they return it. I assume they opened a case, so if they don't post it back within a certain timeframe, it will close in your favour.

And honestly, even though you sent the wrong item, if the buyer want to keep it, they should not be entitled to any refund.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The worst he can do is give you a negative feedback,  so thats not really trashing your reputation.   And if they did I would be appealing to Ebay to have it removed, as you will have his messages as proof of blackmail.

Follow the process, and ignore the requests for further payment is my opinion.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Ivak, I doubt he has moved to Singapore too - in the middle of a pandemic on top of everything else?  And just a few days after he bought the speakers? What a coincidence...

When did you contact eBay? 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

IMO nobody who is about to move would buy on eBay in the first place... People usually try to get rid of stuff before moving. And the plugs are probably different in Singapore anyway.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

What a load of rubbish he is spinning. No one can 'move to Singapore' at the moment, not without a very good reason, either compassionate or business. And a top business person wouldn't be carrying on like this, or I hope not.

In any case, you're not responsible even if he did. His address was listed as Australian when he bought and received the item, you don't have to supply any more than you have in the way of postage. Is all this an official ebay claim he opened or just a private negotiation between you both?

I don't think you necessarily are screwed. He pointed out a problem, you didn't ignore it, you have accepted a return and sent a postage label. Isn't the ball now in his court?

Doesn't he now have to return the item if he wants a refund? And isn't there a time limit on it?

I am unsure of the answers as it has been a long time since I sold on ebay.

I would stay polite but firm. You're dealing with a zero feedback buyer and with luck he is more bluster than knowledge.

You can simply say that as his registered address on ebay was in Australia and that is where the item was sent, you are only obliged to provide an Australia Post label, no more. Tell him the item needs to be returned by such and such a date and a full refund will then be made. Should he wish to keep the item, you can offer X amount as a discount but that is firm.

He can't trash your reputation, that is feedback extortion. And honestly, one bad feedback? All you would need to do is reply that you made a mistake but supplied free return postage and offer of a full refund.

Many buyers don't even read feedback, let alone go to any other sites looking for information about ebay sellers so don't worry.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

I would also block this person as soon as you can (I am not sure you are still trying some communication with him, although it seems to be useless as he is obviously making stories up).

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

You have accepted the return and the buyer has been supplied with a return post label, they are not entitled to anything else.  If they fail to return the item the case will be resolved in your favour, and they can not open another ( at least via ebay)  and you should be able to request any feedback ,+/- ,be removed.    You also have the extra reason  of feedback extortion,  to support any request for removal of feedback.

If the buyer does complete the return, It might pay to record the package being opened and the condition

of the contents

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I'd hop on to ebay chat, they will likely advise you to wait for the return and follow through on it etc, but if a seller can't say an item is located in Australia and then require return to a different country, a buyer should be able to have an item delivered to Australia but require you to pay for a return from another country (if you do not offer international shipping, this point will be even more pertinent).

As for the feedback threat, I personally feel these need to be undermined. The only reason buyers do this, is because they think it gives them power over the seller. They expect a very specific reaction, one that comes from fear of receiving neg feedback and the idea that a seller will be more willing to comply in order to avoid the threat, and the satisfaction is derived from them feeling like they have affected the seller in one way or another by threatening or carrying out the threat. Showing them that the threat is completely ineffective is my preferred way to deal with it - not by challenging it or taunting them for it, but via the Saitama method. (eg I usually just say that all of my buyers are welcome to leave whatever feedback they choose; if I need to spell it out further for them, I just say feedback is not my concern, and it does not motivate me to do anything, I am only motivated to do what is right - from a customer service perspective, if / when someone from ebay needs to review your communication history with the buyer, this makes you look 10x better than any blustering idiot who's been behaving badly). 

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

You can live with a neg - most sellers get them sooner or later.

The main thing is how you respond to it. Write a courteous response that FUTURE buyers will read and understand.

Stop communicating with Ebay (their CS is mostly useless), as well as the customer.

Just wait and see if they return it. I assume they opened a case, so if they don't post it back within a certain timeframe, it will close in your favour.

And honestly, even though you sent the wrong item, if the buyer want to keep it, they should not be entitled to any refund.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply