Buyer paid in cash but still hasn't completed transaction through eBay

Advice required. A buyer contacted me to negotiate a price on 2 of my items. I agreed to a lower price on the condition that he pick them up and pay in cash. The items were clothing and I told him that he would have to purchase through eBay but that he could wait until he had seen the items before committing to purchasing them. I sent him offers through eBay in accordance with the agreed prices.

He came over to inspect the items and was happy to purchase and paid me in cash. I asked him to complete the checkout process by accepting the best offers on eBay (to avoid any problems for either him or me being suspended). He hasn't done that yet. So currently the 2 items are still listed and there is a risk they'll be purchased by someone else. I tried to amend the listings to add "SOLD DO NOT BUY" to the title but as there are outstanding offers on the items I cannot change the title or the description. It looks like I can change the price though. Would there be any problem with me increasing the prices of the 2 items to something ridiculously high to ensure that no one else buys the items. As far as I know the best offers will still be valid and my buyer can still complete his purchase at the agreed price. 

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Buyer paid in cash but still hasn't completed transaction through eBay

A very big no no (according to ebay)

They no long allow 'sharing on details until the buyer has pressed the commit to buy button (even for cars)

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

All good. Buyer has now completed eBay side of transaction.

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

Can you provide link to eBay policy which sets this restriction out.
Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

I'll have a look and see if I can find the 'official' ebay policy update, but in the meantime (internet dropping in and out due to storm activity here) there's quite a few dozen threads on the forums about it and people getting pinged by it

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Here is part of it, but what they don't point out is that they consider the only reason parties would exchange details in an ebay message without having clicked the 'commit to buy' button is because they are planning something sly

Rubbish in most cases, or course but ebay's greed means they have a phobia of losing their fees

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/policies/payment-policies/offers-buy-sell-outside-ebay-policy?id=4272#s...

As I mentioned, there is a huge number of posts by people who have been zapped by email for messaging their email/phone or such because they ahve messaged and asked if they can inspect the item before ebay considers the item 'sold' 

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

Ta. i've skimmed the threads but they seem to focus on sending phone numbers email addresses.
Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

Found it - Under NOT ALLOWED it says "Including, requesting, offering, or referencing contact information or an offer to buy or sell an item outside of eBay within a listing, Best Offer, email message or other communication with an eBay user or any other place on the eBay site."
Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

@exile_on_george_st wrote:
Found it - Under NOT ALLOWED it says "Including, requesting, offering, or referencing contact information or an offer to buy or sell an item outside of eBay within a listing, Best Offer, email message or other communication with an eBay user or any other place on the eBay site."

You know the policy is wrong.

I know the policy is wrong.

The buyers know the policy is wrong.

It's a policy that wouoldn't come close to passing the pub test BUT:

eBay thinks the policy is a good idea but they're the ones who enforce policies.

I can only imagine they are desperate for any and all income that can be generated.

My feeling is that the opposite result will be more likely; fewer sales owing to the onerous complications.

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

Autocratic decisions that fail to take other vested interests into account and policy that creates an environment of 'us and them' is always counter productive and brings with it unwanted consequences. 

I've witnessed it so often during my 65 years on this revolving rock. Some have the sad mentality of politicians, who never learn from their mistakes.

Dazzle, you've hit the nail on the head with your last line.

It's really quite bizarre and of course, profoundly paranoid - Commies under the bed!!

Melina.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

I paid by cash when I was pick it up,but still hasn't completed transaction through eBay.

The item number is 363331537936.
I told to seller many times about this situation, but she diden't any action.

Please check and completed transaction.
Thanks
Clara

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply