Buyer threatens legal action because the battery does not last long enough

I have sold a gaming laptop but the buyer does not feel the battery life lasts long enough as well as the warranty being in a store he does not like, I have already given the money away and cannot refund. He now threatens legal action and says to wait a week? What can he do and what should I do

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ignore him, nothing but idle threats.

There is no way a buyer would spend big money on a potential case worth less then $1,000 only to lose and be told it was supplied as it was listed. Up to the buyer to ask questions before buying.

(Unless you sold it as new)

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I don't see how you would be responsible for the warranty being in a store he does not like, and that the battery does not last long enough, unless you stated otherwise in your listing. Threat of legal action is usually a bluff. Personally I would ignore him and see what happens. You can probably expect a negative feedback, but you can reply to it. Sounds like a difficult customer.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

And make sure to put them on your blocked list.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Legal action against what?

You haven't said the laptop does not work, just that the battery doesn't last 'long enough'. Which is open to interpretation.

And if the warranty is with a store he does not like, i don't see how that is relevant.

In short, I believe those no win, no claim law firms would probably not take him on as a client.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as being sued.

Your main worry would be if he opened a not as described claim against you on some pretext.

Just be careful what you write to him in messages (if anything). Just reiterate that the item was exactly as described in the ad.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Just as a matter of interest, those "no win, no pay" Lawyers do not tell you that it is only their fee that is waived.  You still have to pay Court costs if you lose, and if you win they take around 40% of your winnings.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply