Buyer wants to pick up item, but I only offer postage on my listing

I have been having some problems with some of my recently listed items, specifically with buyers wanting to pick up item where I expressly state in the description that I do not offer pickups, that I only offer postage on my listings.

I haven't had the problem before, but suddenly I have had a few, including one prospective bidder who threatened me for not allowing pickup in response their question.

I am wondering the best way to tactfully handle the situation through replying to the buyer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer wants to pick up item, but I only offer postage on my listing

@holdencars11 wrote:

I am wondering the best way to tactfully handle the situation through replying to the buyer.

All other things aside, the most tactful way to reply is (just IMO and in my experience), not to provide any reason at all (I find the second you put forth some kind of reasoning, some of your more insistent people will find a way to argue around it and/or take it personally).

So, when I get that question, I simply say "unfortunately, I am not able to offer pick-up", you can apologise for any inconvenience, if you wish, and to end on a positive note, I always highlight my combined postage discounts. 

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I would just politely reply that due to XXX reasons, you are unable to offer pick up. I don't offer pick up for my items, it is mentioned in my listings. I just don't want people coming to my house. Plain and simple as that. If someone does live local, I offer to meet them somewhere neutral, like Macca's carpark or something. Or if I know I'm going shopping, I'll offer to meet them there. Most people are happy with that. Some still prefer I post and that's OK too.

I'd just tell them that you work shift work and sleep during the day, or the dog has rabies or something. If you don't accept pick up, a buyer can make all the threats they like. If they are threatening you, I would report them to eBay. When you do, request that eBay reads the messages sent to you from them. It is a sellers decision as to whether they accept it or not.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

All you can do is repeat that for privacy reasons you do not allow pick ups.

However, if it is happening a lot, it might have something to do with your postage charges, they seem somewhat high for the nature of the items, so local buyers are probably trying to avoid the high cost.  Even with bubble wrap and other packaging costs, most computer components would cost half what you are asking to post.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I agree with you Penny....the $9.50 postage on the t-shirt is a bit OTT as well.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Offer free postage and start auctions at a higher price to cover postage and handling. I block pushy prospective bidders. Your ads are clear to those of us that can read, that your items are pick up only. 

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Your ads are clear to those of us that can read, that your items are pick up only. 

Umm,  no,   they're not.     Guess some read better than others

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

It seems that some people can read what is not in the listing at all.

No wonder sellers get hammered because buyers can not understand what they read....if they read at all.Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

To put the OP's postage in perspective penny, I got a quote from a seller last week about postage for 2 medium sized speakers weighing 9.8 Kg's and the postage was $50.65 - not that much more than one of the OP's boards at $49.35. (and then there's the other one for $54.65.)

No wonder their stars for postage charges are getting a hammering......the defects are going to hurt them unless they do something about it.....

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

I have absolutely no problem with buyers coming to pick up especially as they may see something else that hasn't been listed yet and they want to buy it, It is entirely up to you if you offer pick up but if it is just because you don't want people actually coming to your house why not arrange to meet them outside the PO or at a nearby shopping centre. Your postage prices are so high that it is no wonder people want to pick up.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@holdencars11 wrote:

All other things aside, the most tactful way to reply is (just IMO and in my experience), not to provide any reason at all (I find the second you put forth some kind of reasoning, some of your more insistent people will find a way to argue around it and/or take it personally).

So, when I get that question, I simply say "unfortunately, I am not able to offer pick-up", you can apologise for any inconvenience, if you wish, and to end on a positive note, I always highlight my combined postage discounts. 

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply