Buyers getting away with theft.

I had two purchases from the same person. He created 2 new accounts and purchased 2 high value items, 1 on each account, almost $4k total. He also messaged me through a 3rd account, never replying through the accounts he purchased from. I spoke to Ebay and they said as long as I sent to the correct address with tracking I would be covered.

I sent the items. He then opened item not received cases for both items. I went through the whole process with Ebay and provided all the delivery information, tracking etc. They then decided both cases in my favour. All very stressful given the $ involved. This morning, I received an email from Ebay saying the buyer appealed the decision and it  was granted an they would deduct the funds from me. The case details now show:

Outcome
The case was decided in the buyer's favour.

More info
You agreed to give your buyer a refund but didn't issue it.

I didn't agree to refund the buyer at all.

I cannot begin to understand how Ebay continue to support buyers regardless of circumstances and even when there is clearly dodgy behaviour. 

I spoke to Ebay just now. While the guy I spoke to was pleasant and wanting to help, I have no confidence whatsoever that this will be dealt with properly.

Message 1 of 47
Latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Buyers getting away with theft.

Not sure what the PO can do about an INAD case.

And there remains the problem of the buyer's word against the seller.

' What I returned - was what I received '.

Message 21 of 47
Latest reply

Thanks for all the replies. Regarding having it delivered to the post office, I'm not sure if this is possible. I could check but I really don't know if the post office would be that interested in having me there filming myself unpacking the item while everyone else in line just waits. It's normally pretty busy at my post office.

Message 22 of 47
Latest reply

It doesn't really matter where the parcel is unpacked.

How are you able to prove what is unpacked is not what was sent. ??

Message 23 of 47
Latest reply

So here's an update. Today I received the proof of delivery document from Australia Post which shows the signature from the buyer. I contacted Ebay and they submitted they appeal including the POD document. I have received a message just now from Ebay saying that the original decision has been upheld because they buyer submitted a statutory declaration saying that didn't receive the item as described.

Message 24 of 47
Latest reply

So where is the police report you have been advised to get. ??

Screenshot_20240325-135004_Chrome.jpg

This is NSW - I imagine the same for most states.

Along with fines a prison sentence can occur.

Message 25 of 47
Latest reply

How does eBay ' know ' this ' Stat Dec ' was witnessed by an authorised party. ??

Message 26 of 47
Latest reply

Do your own stat dec whilst at the police station....upload to ebay

Message 27 of 47
Latest reply

I was just about to suggest same Twyn.

And make sure it is stamped by the officer witnessing - to provide proof - proof of an actual legal witnessing with the station's identity.

Message 28 of 47
Latest reply

Actually - for a 4,000 buck rip off - I'd have done all this - last week.

Message 29 of 47
Latest reply

see: 

Concerns of false information, fraud or incorrectly-made Commonwealth statutory declarations

Accepting a Commonwealth statutory declaration | Attorney-General's Department (ag.gov.au)

Message 30 of 47
Latest reply