Buyers repeadetly not paying for offers

I've been selling some products to get rid of them, and I've had offers enabled to hopefully get quicker sales. But about 3 times I've received a reasonable offer and accepted it, but around 1-2 days later the buyer contacts me and says something like "I bought it by mistake" or "I didn't know I have to pay when I make an offer". Most of these accounts are old ones that have bought and sold with positive feedback. Is it possible they've been hacked? Next time I'm turning offers off, but is there anything I can do if anything like this happens again? I'll post some of my messages with these buyers. 

Many Thanks

jess9251_0-1708211852598.pngjess9251_1-1708211899654.png

jess9251_2-1708211916589.png 

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

@domino-710 wrote:

And - if they accept your ' small ' counter offer. ??

If they werent prepared to pay the original offer,  they will still accept the ''small counter'',  and still not pay.   Not much benefit in that strategy,  just delays the inevitable

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

My point being - why make a ' small counter ' offer - instead of what I actually would like for the item.

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

I can't think of the last time I have made a counter and the buyer returned with another offer to end up not paying. Most will counter with another low ball or accept.

Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

Don't know - I have offers listed - but only ever decline an unreasonable - and never make a counter - small or not.

Let the buyer come back or not.

Don't care.

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

For me that small counter offer weeds out the unpaid offers which is next to zero as I can't remember the last. The other is the more important one and that is most buyers will pay a little extra as they will come in lower expecting a counter and for me that can be $5000/ year extra in sales. Not sure about you but thats a lot of money for a few extra key strokes.

Plus many times an offer has fallen through the item ends up selling a few later at full ask. This may not work for everyone it works for what I do. It depends on what you sell and who you compete with but unless you try everything first you won't know what works for you.

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

Your mind works in a strange way. Not sure how you can say that they will accept unless you have already tried that method and it did not work for what you sell. It may be what you sell and most buyers are willing to walk away from it. 

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

Having been around for more years than I really care to remember - with well over 12,000 sales - it's been years since I relied on eBay for anything.

If an offer falls through - so be it.

I sell at my discretion.

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

@brickworksmarket wrote:

Your mind works in a strange way. Not sure how you can say that they will accept unless you have already tried that method and it did not work for what you sell. It may be what you sell and most buyers are willing to walk away from it. 

There you go making assumptions again.  And you know what that means

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

Well then it sounds like you assumed a potential buyer would come back and accept the counter offer based on what I don't really know. You already said some potential buyers may make multiple offers and have taken a better one. Why would they then accept a counter offer if another better offer was already accepted. 

Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

So you think that offering a buyer less than they have already tendered is in any way a sound business policy?

The item has offers enabled, the pseudo-buyer makes an offer, the seller accepts.

I don't have offers enabled, but I still get them. I treat them on their merits, but I don't counter-offer with a price less than the (usually) lowball offer already made.

Why would I, or any seller? The potential buyer makes an offer, which de facto is what they are willing to pay, the seller accepts. Why would a seller counter with less than the offer on the table?

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply