Buyers who cant be bothered leaving feedback

Anonymous
Not applicable

An increasing annoyance of mine is buyers who just cant be bothered leaving any feedback

Out of my last 20 sales i only have 10 of them who have left me feedback (2 of them are recent sales) and 8 people are yet to leave any feedback and its been weeks.

Feedback is important as i know my item has arrived safely, plus im trying to build up my business and i want positive feedback to hopefully generate more customers.

My policy on selling is simple. I use good customer service. I always contact the buyer and thank them for their purchase and quick payment (if they paid instantly). I always let them know when i will be posting their item. I always leave positive feedback once they have made their payment and mark item posted as soon as i post it. I even contact the customer to let them know that i have sent it, Good friendly and professional customer service is not hard.

Some of by customers really appreciate it and let me know. Others just dont care, i never hear from them and they dont bother to leave any feedback.

Does this happen alot to other sellers? what strategies do you have to aid in helping. I have sent a few friendly reminders about people "forgetting to leave me feedback". The odd time it works but most of the time it doesnt.

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyers who cant be bothered leaving feedback

@Anonymous wrote:

Some of by customers really appreciate it and let me know. Others just dont care, 

Some buyers not only don't care about that level of customer service, they don't like it. I have developed similar practices to yours as a seller, and in most instances I send one message to a buyer post-purchase and payment, advising of a couple of things the eBay auto-generated emails don't, and - hopefully - make sure the lines of communication are open should anything go wrong. But I leave it at that because I know it can be an annoyance for some to receive several emails about the one purchase (eBay, PayPal, seller etc), when all they want to do is buy / receive an item. 

The feedback system is no longer a significant part of buying online, as there are now a multitude of commerce sites around, ranging from independent businesses to other sites like eBay, and very few have a feedback system, or if they do, it's not a predominant basis for forming trust with a trading partner, so it's not always at the forefront of people's minds that giving / receiving FB is a good thing to contribute to the eBay community (you have to remember that ultimately, FB is left for you, but it isn't really intended for you - it's for potential trading partners. Or at least, that was the original intention). 

Feedback is essentially a by-product rather than the focus of transactions (or should be, IMO), and like all by-products, they will build up in time, but if you stick to concentrating on the things that everyone places importance on (good selling and buying practices), and focus your energy on the things you're in control of (which excludes other people leaving feedback), not only will it build up, but it will be a nice addition to your main selling/buying activities rather than an important focus that's taking too much time and energy. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Feedback is NOT mandatory it is voluntary and is left if they want to leave it.

If you have not heard anything from the buyer then assume all is good and move on.

DO NOT pester for feedback either as you may not like what is left.

Message 2 of 55
Latest reply

*sparklz* said it perfectly. The only thing I could add, is that maybe 30% of people leave feedback and the quality of feedback is more important than the quantity.

Message 3 of 55
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@*sparklz* wrote:

If you have not heard anything from the buyer then assume all is good and move on.

Firstly i DO NOT pester people to leave feedback. I have politely reminded a couple of buyers in case they forgot. 1 of the 2 did leave feedback after my message.

I never said its compulsory, i was just wondering if anyone had any strategies to maximise the % of feedback left for them.

Im also keen to know if its an ebay wide thing (im a new seller). As a buyer i ALWAYS leave feedback to sellers so i didnt realise that so many people dont bother leaving feedback

Like i said i pride myself on good customer service so i consider myself as a good seller.

Message 4 of 55
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@*sparklz* wrote:

Firstly i DO NOT pester people to leave feedback. I have politely reminded a couple of buyers in case they forgot. 1 of the 2 did leave feedback after my message.

I never said its compulsory, i was just wondering if anyone had any strategies to maximise the % of feedback left for them.

Im also keen to know if its an ebay wide thing (im a new seller). As a buyer i ALWAYS leave feedback to sellers so i didnt realise that so many people dont bother leaving feedback

Like i said i pride myself on good customer service so i consider myself as a good seller.

I have politely reminded a couple of buyers

Yep that is pestering.

ebay send reminders to leave feedback so you asking as well is pestering.

And I never actually stated you pestered for feedback all I was saying is never pester so that was your interpretation of what was said NOT what was actually said.

Message 5 of 55
Latest reply

A lot of people don't leave feedback because they either can't be bothered, or don't see the importance of it.

As a buyer I always leave feedback for my purchases, but that's because I'm also a seller and I know that good feedback can improve the potential for future sales. 

I don't think sparklz was having a go at you at all, just making a point that some buyers may not want sellers messaging them reminding them to leave feedback, as some can leave neutral or negative feedback if they feel pushed to do so.

Message 6 of 55
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

*sparklz* wrote:

I have politely reminded a couple of buyers

Yep that is pestering.

ebay send reminders to leave feedback so you asking as well is pestering.

And I never actually stated you pestered for feedback all I was saying is never pester so that was your interpretation of what was said NOT what was actually said.

I see where you are coming from. Obviously i see feedback as more important than a buyer, and as a buyer also i have always used the feedback system and thought (wrongly) that all people.

I think i will continue with my initial message when i post which thanks them for purchasing, letting them know that i have left them and letting them know that i would appreciate some feedback if they are happy with my service.

I will however take your advise on board and leave it after that. If they leave feedback then great but if they don't so be it.

Out of curiousity, what would be a rough percentage of feedbacks per sale do you get?

Message 7 of 55
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Some of by customers really appreciate it and let me know. Others just dont care, 

Some buyers not only don't care about that level of customer service, they don't like it. I have developed similar practices to yours as a seller, and in most instances I send one message to a buyer post-purchase and payment, advising of a couple of things the eBay auto-generated emails don't, and - hopefully - make sure the lines of communication are open should anything go wrong. But I leave it at that because I know it can be an annoyance for some to receive several emails about the one purchase (eBay, PayPal, seller etc), when all they want to do is buy / receive an item. 

The feedback system is no longer a significant part of buying online, as there are now a multitude of commerce sites around, ranging from independent businesses to other sites like eBay, and very few have a feedback system, or if they do, it's not a predominant basis for forming trust with a trading partner, so it's not always at the forefront of people's minds that giving / receiving FB is a good thing to contribute to the eBay community (you have to remember that ultimately, FB is left for you, but it isn't really intended for you - it's for potential trading partners. Or at least, that was the original intention). 

Feedback is essentially a by-product rather than the focus of transactions (or should be, IMO), and like all by-products, they will build up in time, but if you stick to concentrating on the things that everyone places importance on (good selling and buying practices), and focus your energy on the things you're in control of (which excludes other people leaving feedback), not only will it build up, but it will be a nice addition to your main selling/buying activities rather than an important focus that's taking too much time and energy. 

Message 8 of 55
Latest reply

I am a seller too, and often look at previous feedback to get an idea of my buyers (eg sell ons, shops).

After 2 peculiar incidents with buyers using a manipulative and aggressive tone to bargain the price down.......I found both had a previous feedback of ????!!!!????? etc which was exactly my feelings at he time.

Good points SPARKLS well said in a cool, calm business like manner.

Best Wishes to all

Message 9 of 55
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well said digital ghost. Gives a different perspective on things.

I do pride myself on providing a professional service but i guess theres a fine line between that, and going over the top which i definitely do not want to do.

Thanks to everyone so far in this thread for some great advice
Message 10 of 55
Latest reply