Can there be too much information when selling an item?

I'm selling a bunch of slide projector carousels. I've mentioned that some of the boxes they're in have some mildew on the box.

I haven't sold any yet (nothing unusual!) but wondering if mentioning this could be a hindrance.

I'm a big believer in describing my items as honestly as possible so there are no problems down the track. But I also don't want to scare people into thinking that if they use these their slides will develop mould. The carousels all contained slides when I bought them, and all the slides are in very good condition. The slides are 50 years old. (I'm not selling the slides yet)

Or am I overthinking.

I just want the damn things out of my house, that's all.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Can there be too much information when selling an item?

Just on the old camera thing, I had my sons girlfriend around home today. Apparently the 35 mm. film thing is all the rage with teenagers at the moment. She spent around an hour poking through some of the trunks in the shed, picking out old 35 mm. cameras I had stashed away to use again. She found a nice old Kodak instamatic still in its box with a couple of old rolls of film and those square flashes. ( remember them ) She was delighted with her find and went down to Woolies to buy some film. Apparently Woolies even still process the film..............Everything old is new again.

Some of the stuff she grabbed

Picture 29656.jpg

Message 11 of 24
Latest reply

HANG ON .... THAT WASNT PART OF THE DEAL !!!!

Picture 29657.jpg

You never know what you will find in the old trunks ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 12 of 24
Latest reply

Noice!

I do use 35mm film on occasion. Recently Paxton's lost the film I was getting processed... it contained pix of my kids... *big thumbs down*. Will never go there again. Yeah I sold a Polaroid (standard sized film) camera last year for $75, I had it lying around for 25 years collecting dust. It seems to be the items I've been hesitating selling (because I think no-one will want it) that do okay.
Message 13 of 24
Latest reply

@kitschkoven wrote:
Noice!

I do use 35mm film on occasion. Recently Paxton's lost the film I was getting processed... it contained pix of my kids... *big thumbs down*. Will never go there again. Yeah I sold a Polaroid (standard sized film) camera last year for $75, I had it lying around for 25 years collecting dust. It seems to be the items I've been hesitating selling (because I think no-one will want it) that do okay.

It seems to be the case quite often. I purchased a few rare magazines from one of the local charity shops last week. A few have already sold for $20 each so I went back to see if they had any more. They said they just picked a few straight ones out of a big box full and threw the rest in the dumpster...........Smiley Surprised

Worse still was an old country garage I used to visit from time to time. I knew they had a large shed out the back, full of rare parts and manuals for vintage John Deere and Chamberlain tractors. ( also known as rocking horse P00 ) I had been allowed to have a look on a few times and tried to buy the collection on several occasions ( offering quite a few thousand dollars in cash  ) but the owners wouldnt sell. I called in one day to see if they had changed their mind. The garage had changed hands and the new owners simply sold the shed full of rare parts for scrap.....insert crying emoji here

Message 14 of 24
Latest reply

Damn!!!
Message 15 of 24
Latest reply

Yesterday I went with some boxes of rare mags to donate to a local Vinnies store. The door greeter woman asked me why I was donating junk? I had to set her straight or even as one elderly woman to another I might have slapped her! (No help getting the boxes from the car seems to be the way Vinnies works these days?!) - There used to be elderly gents on the door @ the Sth Morang Vic shop where I donated the items.

They were 1970's MAD magazines & books; Enid Gilchrist 1950's pattern books. Older 1930's knitting patterns & 1960's Women's Weekly & such. 

Unsold stock that I needed to clear. Overseas rellies coming & I need the guest room back! Now each MAD mag that was listed on the Oz site sold for @ least $5.00 - but I couldn't spare the time to bulk up all & find a buyer here!

For the OP - I over describe - Which is why I didn't take the time to list the vintage mags. When I did on the other site I mentioned any faults & the fact that there may be a musty smell. As mentioned there are items that can be used to remove mould - Texta marks - etc - I use Eucalyptus oil. Gently applied it removes scuff marks, mould, & makes book covers shiny again.. It's all about prep for sale & I believe in more information in these days of "INAD" disputes. JMHO!

Message 16 of 24
Latest reply

I like when elderly people run op shops, they tend to price things cheaply ๐Ÿ˜‰ Good from a purchaser's point of view anyway. MAD Magazines rule... they must be 'mad'.

Thanks for eucalyptus oil tip. It really is a case of weighing up whether making things INAD-proof is worth it.
Message 17 of 24
Latest reply

If the condition of the boxes is poor, perhaps you should sell them without the box?

Message 18 of 24
Latest reply

@redders_60 wrote:

Yesterday I went with some boxes of rare mags to donate to a local Vinnies store. The door greeter woman asked me why I was donating junk? I had to set her straight or even as one elderly woman to another I might have slapped her! (No help getting the boxes from the car seems to be the way Vinnies works these days?!) - There used to be elderly gents on the door @ the Sth Morang Vic shop where I donated the items.

They were 1970's MAD magazines & books; Enid Gilchrist 1950's pattern books. Older 1930's knitting patterns & 1960's Women's Weekly & such. 

Unsold stock that I needed to clear. Overseas rellies coming & I need the guest room back! Now each MAD mag that was listed on the Oz site sold for @ least $5.00 - but I couldn't spare the time to bulk up all & find a buyer here!

For the OP - I over describe - Which is why I didn't take the time to list the vintage mags. When I did on the other site I mentioned any faults & the fact that there may be a musty smell. As mentioned there are items that can be used to remove mould - Texta marks - etc - I use Eucalyptus oil. Gently applied it removes scuff marks, mould, & makes book covers shiny again.. It's all about prep for sale & I believe in more information in these days of "INAD" disputes. JMHO!

A lot of old magazines are overlooked as total junk, but are worth selling on ebay. One title that often just gets tossed in house clean ups is the TV weeks from the 1970,s & 80,s. I dont know why ( reading about Ernie Sigley or Paul Hogan doesnt get my juices flowing ) but these can regularly sell for $30 - $40 each, depending on who is on the cover. And if it happens to be ABBA on the cover you can double those numbers.

Spoiler
OK I get the ABBA Bit............I remember as a teenage lad those girls where total babes.........Man LOL
Spoiler
Nothing like a bit of blue sparkly spandex and knee high white boots to get a young lads blood flowing........Smiley Very Happy
Spoiler
That reminds me, better buy the missus some blue sparkly spandex for Valentines day...............Heart

Message 19 of 24
Latest reply

@purplemon18 wrote:

If the condition of the boxes is poor, perhaps you should sell them without the box?

That would be a very bad idea....it would probably drop the prices of the carousels by 50% or more.

Slides need to be protected and the original boxes are the best way to do that.

Message 20 of 24
Latest reply