Can there be too much information when selling an item?

I'm selling a bunch of slide projector carousels. I've mentioned that some of the boxes they're in have some mildew on the box.

I haven't sold any yet (nothing unusual!) but wondering if mentioning this could be a hindrance.

I'm a big believer in describing my items as honestly as possible so there are no problems down the track. But I also don't want to scare people into thinking that if they use these their slides will develop mould. The carousels all contained slides when I bought them, and all the slides are in very good condition. The slides are 50 years old. (I'm not selling the slides yet)

Or am I overthinking.

I just want the damn things out of my house, that's all.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Google can be your friend to get rid of the mildew and/or musty smell.

Worth a try IMO

Dampen a soft cloth with hydrogen peroxide or denatured alcohol and carefully treat

Musty odor still lingers after mold and mildew removal:

• If your book is mold and mildew free but still has a smell to it, you can sprinkle baking soda in a sealed container or bag and place the book inside for a couple of hours. The baking soda is quite effective at absorbing the scent. Activated charcoal can be substituted in this step. Again, repeat as necessary.

https://www.biblio.com/book-collecting/care-preservation/prevent-remove-mold-mildew/

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Good tip, thank you 🙂
Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

It's always best to include any faults, flaws, blemishes or damage of any kind. If you don't you'll likely end up with buyer's opening disputes for not as described, having tompay return postage as well as refunding the original purchase price and postage.

if people really want the time they will purchase it even with the mildew mentioned. Safer to to include the info than not.

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Thank you.

I don't have the time or money to be dishonest  🙂  

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Is it possible to say something like ..... Boxes show the effects of slight dampness ( see photos ) carousels are not affected in any way. While there is usually a buyer for everything, slide equipment is fairly easy to find and very few people still use them, so they are going to be very slow sellers. An op shop may be the answer if you just want them gone.

Some of the other old film stuff such as 8 mm. film items and reel to reel audio tapes still have a collector / enthusiest market, and quality old cameras are very collectable.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

I'd try a quick clean up first as stawka suggested but if you haven't time or energy for that, most definitely mention the mould or effects of damp.

As chameleon said, make the distinction quite clear-boxes have some mould, carousels though are in very good condition, no mould.

You ask if there can be too much info in ads. Sometimes there can if the ad goes on & on but usually I find that relates to some sellers who have about 101 different instructions about buying & posting etc, not about describing the item as such.

As a buyer, hate to say this but mould is a biggie. That's one I would not leave out if I were a seller. Not on any account.

It won't stop a buyer, as long as they know it is the box only and as long as they know what to expect.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Thank you Chameleon. The old cameras that you mentioned - are we talking ones that use 120 film? I found a really cute Kodak Instamatic that I tossed back because of the obsolete film issue.
Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Thank you Springyzone. I definitely wouldn't like to receive a package with mould on it without being warned about it first. Good point.
Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

@kitschkoven wrote:
Thank you Chameleon. The old cameras that you mentioned - are we talking ones that use 120 film? I found a really cute Kodak Instamatic that I tossed back because of the obsolete film issue.

Best to take a look at sold listings to get a better idea. Click on advanced next to the search button at top of page, type in " vintage camera " scroll down half way to " sold listings " click on this to view all recent sold items.

It all depends on the brand & type. Even some of the not so old instant print, polariods bring suprising money with several recent sales in the hundreds of dollars.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply