Can there be too much information when selling an item?

I'm selling a bunch of slide projector carousels. I've mentioned that some of the boxes they're in have some mildew on the box.

I haven't sold any yet (nothing unusual!) but wondering if mentioning this could be a hindrance.

I'm a big believer in describing my items as honestly as possible so there are no problems down the track. But I also don't want to scare people into thinking that if they use these their slides will develop mould. The carousels all contained slides when I bought them, and all the slides are in very good condition. The slides are 50 years old. (I'm not selling the slides yet)

Or am I overthinking.

I just want the damn things out of my house, that's all.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Can there be too much information when selling an item?

My local Vinnies gives me no pleasure to shop there... So trying to be what they are not. A high end emporium with prices to match.

The day I went I also overheard an altercation between 2 volunteer women over whether the green & purple plate should go in the display shelving with mostly green or mostly purple things!  "I think it looks better there" kind of argument.

I could have sold the items I donated myself. Time constraints made that impossible. I just hope they didn't dump them in the skip, as there was money to be made from the items - even if the WW mags were only stripped for Ads! 

I sold lots of the MADs to USA buyers who signed up to the now defunct site just to buy them! - Best price was for a "Garbage Pail Kids" MAD mag that had 3 US buyers bump the price to $23.00 for an item I'd described as intact, but having tatty cover edges & pages, though rear fold out uncreased & all was in good cond for age; If a tad musty from long storage.===Long story short Californian buyer was ecstatic with his purchase!

I wonder who does the sorting & pricing in these "Corporatised" Op Shops?

My items could & would have sold well - unlike the unboxed & well used Big Bang Theory with broken head spring bobbleheads they had for &15.00 each on the "Collectables" shelving! My daughter collects & sells that type of collectable & would never pay that price for such sub standard items.

Message 21 of 24
Latest reply

That's a pretty good idea. I thought people might like the original boxes as they're retro but you do have a point there.
Message 22 of 24
Latest reply

I have a couple of TV Times from the late 60s (among others) I'm probably going to list. I have noticed that people sell TV Week mags for quite exorbitant prices, and they're not that old either.
Message 23 of 24
Latest reply

Totally agree... A lot of them are selling things for higher than retail prices these days. I bought a clothes hamper from Salvo's for $12, later noticed Target sell them the same price brand new.
Message 24 of 24
Latest reply