Can you wait a week (or more) to post an item?

A customer purchased an item, I paid for postage (via myPost business) and packaged up the order, then the customer advised that they don't want it posted just yet as they won't be home to receive it. They have asked for me to hold onto the parcel, wait a week, and then post it.

Does Australia Post have a time limit to lodge a parcel after paying for postage online?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

i don't think there's any issue with waiting a week to post it - the only thing i would be concerned about is it may effect your late delivery rate. i'd probably mark it as sent and chuck the tracking number in for the item - and then post it later as requested. i'd also hold on to the message from the buyer just in case anything changes down the track.

there isn't a time limit to lodge parcels with labels printed from mypost business. just ensure you print the label out within 24 hours otherwise you'll no longer have access to it :]

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I don't know, but eBay does.

As soon as you post after your handling period you are going to cop a late delivery defect. One won't matter, but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Maybe just tell the buyer it is too late as you have already posted it. It should get carded and they can pick it up from the post office.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

I could have sworn ebay had a little blurb saying that a late shipment would be removed if there was communication from the buyer (via eBay messages) asking the seller to delay shipment, but can't find it on the AU site anymore (it's still shown on the US and UK sites, though Smiley Frustrated, and this would have to be done manually, by calling and asking a CS rep to review the message and then manually remove it).

If you don't sign the aviation declaration but ship it on time, it'll probably take longer to get there, especially if it has to travel a good distance. Smiley LOL (mostly joking, but truthful none the less). 

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

i don't think there's any issue with waiting a week to post it - the only thing i would be concerned about is it may effect your late delivery rate. i'd probably mark it as sent and chuck the tracking number in for the item - and then post it later as requested. i'd also hold on to the message from the buyer just in case anything changes down the track.

there isn't a time limit to lodge parcels with labels printed from mypost business. just ensure you print the label out within 24 hours otherwise you'll no longer have access to it :]

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Had a similar request a few weeks ago, from international buyer.  His request was in the form of an ebay message  and alsoas a Paypal  Buyers Note.  So I figured  the request would suffice in the event proof was required later on.  So as to abide by my ebay handling time  I advised buyer that postage would be processed  online and tracking number issued but that item would then be held and he would not receive any further advice until item was physically posted some 15 days later.  The item has since been posted and unless buyer indicates that it did not arrive by the due date I cant see there being any problems.  There is no time limit as far as Australia Post is concerned, my main concern was that if the item was past the predicted delivery date, that the buyer could lodge an INR, knowing that item was going to be overdue.  It would be nice if buyers would make these sort of arrangements prior to buying or at least paying, as it would have been easier if the buyer had requested extra time to pay.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks, this is what I was thinking of doing. My main concern was that the tracking number might expire or something... not too concerned about a late delivery defect as I expect the buyer will do the right thing (I know it's not guaranteed!).

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

as far as i'm aware, tracking numbers last for a very long time before being lodged - it's just making sure the label is printed in the correct timeframe, otherwise you can get stuck without out :] 

also, once the tracking number becomes delivered, i think it hangs around for a few months before no longer being available to view tracking. i know others here are more on the ball with stuff like this, i don't have a definite timeframe for that - but others might, not that you're asking about it :]

hope it all turns out well for you. 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

If it has tracking then the buyer won't get the dreaded question about whether

it arrived on time.

Tracking will show it didn't. and ebay will give you the defect automatically.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

I recently had the same situation, called eBay and they removed the defect as I pointed out the customer had sent a message asking for the postage delay. Assume eBay checked my messages.

image host
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Proof of Postage as far as Ebay is concerned is when the parcel is "accepted" by the Post Office, despite it being marked as "posted" when the label is printed. Personally, I wouldn't post it late without getting the ok from Ebay first, at least then, everything will be on record.  I was told previously that a verbal request by a buyer to post late was not sufficient reason to do so. 

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply