Cash on Collection

Are sellers still able to ask for cash at time of collection? I can't find any topics in relation to the managed payments system and cash payments.

Any information or where I can find information will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Cash on Collection

Yes. I've had buyers pay at time of collection.

Personally, I prefer to pay at time of purchase... but different strokes for different folks, as they say 

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Cash on Collection

imastawka
Honored Contributor

~~ Waves to Bump

Offering local pickup | eBay

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Cash on Collection

waving back

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Cash on Collection

You can still set the postage policy in the listing as Collection/Pickup only.

I guess you will have to enter the cash requirement into the listing description.

The new way of doing things is that the buyer will get a 6 digit code as well as a QR code that they need to bring with them - you enter the code in the Ebay app and this is the proof that the buyer has received the item.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Cash on Collection

Waving

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Cash on Collection

Hello, bump.

Yes, as imastawka says and as jellybird details.

And I’ll leave this thread now – all of these waves are about to capsize my kayak!

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Cash on Collection

@i-once-was-bump wrote:

Are sellers still able to ask for cash at time of collection? I can't find any topics in relation to the managed payments system and cash payments.

Any information or where I can find information will be greatly appreciated.

---------------------

You can definitely list something as pick up only and you can suggest in the ad that cash on pick up would be preferred but I am not sure if you can enforce that. One of the sellers will be able to guide you on that one.

I was under the impression sellers still had to offer another payment type eg paypal even with pick up, but I can't swear that is still the case as I no longer sell.

There is still very much a glitch in ebay's handling of pick up only items though. I know someone who sells as a business on ebay and most products are pick up only. The glitch is if people pay via paypal, they only have to open an ebay claim for 'item not received' and they will automatically win it because the seller cannot upload tracking details. The seller will get a defect unless they ring the chat line. My friend was on the hotline for 85 minutes last week, being passed from rep to rep because he complained about the whole process. He was assured he would be refunded the fees as they could see what had happened but next day the buyer won the case and he has lost all his fees unless he can get them to overturn that decision.

The beauty of it for the buyer is they get no sort of strike. They have reneged on a sale but they get every cent back and can't technically be called non payers.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Cash on Collection

Firstly, you obviously missed the very first reply where I said that buyers can pay with cash if they like, but I prefer to pay at the time of purchase. Clearly, to be able to do so is proof positive that other forms of payment are available.

As for your friend's situation... there is no glitch in the eBay procedure at all - other than human laziness, or unexplained determination to circumvent the correct procedure to void their seller protection. Every seller should be intelligent enough to use the tools afforded them. Once proof of pickup is provided, the buyer doesn't have a leg to stand on, and your scenario becomes an impossibility.

Seriously, anybody who releases pickup goods without first getting the QR (or 6 digit) code, absolutely has rocks in their head. Youve made it extremely obvious here, that your friend is not the sharpest tool in the shed, and lacks a certain business savvy.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Cash on Collection

lezned, I could be wrong but your post comes across as a bit snarly.

I didn't miss anything as I was answering once was bump.

Sure, you said you prefer to pay at time of purchase but that wasn't what bump was asking or not as I interpreted it. Her question seemed to me to focus on whether she could ask for cash on pick up in her ad. I took this to mean-to the exclusion of other methods of payment.

The fact that you prefer to pay for things at the time of purchase does not actually answer that question. Your purchases in general may offer different ways to pay but bump seemed to be asking whether they had to.

A second point, perhaps you should re read part of my post. I said, and I quote,

The glitch is if people pay via paypal, they only have to open an ebay claim for 'item not received' and they will automatically win it because the seller cannot upload tracking details. The seller will get a defect unless they ring the chat line.

You will note I was talking about an experienced seller and about pick up only items paid via paypal.

At no stage did I say or imply the items were picked up. In fact the problem in this case is the buyer didn't pick up.

The buyer had actually arranged to do so but then the seller noticed an item not received claim had been opened instead.

The seller then needed to load in tracking details or as you said, a QR code. The seller in question isn't a fool as you seem to think and has that part down pat.

But if an item has not been picked up, a seller can't do either of those things.

This particular seller had to phone ebay chat, ask them to look at messages, point out it was a pick up only listing and after that, reps assured the seller the fees would be refunded. 

They weren't. Next day the seller was told he had lost the case, buyer refunded in full and no refund of his fees.

As I said, I feel this is a glitch in the system as if something is listed as pick up only, and a buyer fails to pick up, a seller should not have to ring ebay chat each time.

The seller in question has this scenario about once every week or two.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply