Cash on Collection

Are sellers still able to ask for cash at time of collection? I can't find any topics in relation to the managed payments system and cash payments.

Any information or where I can find information will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Cash on Collection

Thanks for the replies, I was wanting to sell an item that will be pick up only and the only payment option being cash on collection.
The reason I only want cash on collection is in case the buyer does not want to make the purchase after seeing and trying the item.
I don't want all and sundry coming to my home to try out something before they put a bid on the item.
I would prefer to cancel the sale and relist or offer to the next highest bidder should I choose to sell through an auction.
I hope that makes it clear.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks Bump.

Very understandable.

I think you will run into 2 -I won't call them problems, but 2 factors in this.

1. I think you have to offer a safe payment method such as paypal as well as cash payment. I don't think you can limit it to only cash on pick up. You can certainly mention in your ad, right at the start if you like, that that is what is preferred, but you can't enforce it as such.

2. You can't give out your address to people before they have bought. They can't come to see it before they bid. So that one works in your favour to some extent. If someone bids at your auction then wins and comes to your home, then they are serious and will probably go through with the sale as long as the item is as expected. It could become trickier if it is an item of clothing, for example, but you are under no obligation to let people try things on before collection.

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

This is just as an aside, about the situation I mentioned where a buyer did not collect a pick up only item after paying via paypal but elected to open an item not received claim with ebay instead and seller had to spend considerable time on ebay chat in order to claim fees back. Only to find next day buyer was refunded and fees would not be refunded to seller.

He has had a win after another ebay chat.

ebay gave me back not only my fees but the total selling price of the goods.   Now how silly is that, for a company to pay back the buyer and seller. Buyer lost nothing, seller got paid and kept the item.  ebay lost to buyer and seller.

As I mentioned, I think it is a glitch in the ebay system that there is no automated process to deal with this scenario in pick up sales. It always has to go to chat.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply